Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on an MTM - RAAL 70-10D and SS 18WU/8741T

Hi All,

I've met some of you at inDIYana, and I know I'm new around here from a posting perspective, but I'm a lurker, what can I say?

I'm very interested in building an MTM (or something similar) around a small RAAL for a moderately small room (13' x 15' that opens up to a 11 x 15 kitchen) with zero room treatments (and won't ever have any, thanks to the WAF). I've heard CraigK's speakers around the SS revelator and really liked them. I'm interested in feedback from pairing the RAAL to these SS 18WU/8741T mid-woofers. Typical listening levels are in the 60-80db range, with some peaks in the 90's range. I do, on very slight occasion like to hit the 100's, but I have another system capable of 110's, so that high of an SPL range is also not required. With that said, would a smaller woofer size make more sense? One of my concerns is with regard to the transient response pairing with the RAAL.

I have the equipment to go fully active, or I'm definitely open to attempting a passive build (Have purchased the PE testing gear and have started getting familiar with Jeff's awesome spreadsheet).

One other point to mention, I have zero skills in wood working, so I'm either looking to pay someone to CNC a flat pack for me, or the PE enclosures.

I have two subs that I'm very familiar with, like quite a bit, and have gotten to sound reasonably well in my room, so super low extension is not required. I'm looking for mid to high 40's, which I know should be very easy with this woofer choice.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. - if I've somehow missed a build that is similar to this, I by no means feel the need to re-invent the wheel here, suggestions for similar builds are more than welcome!
    I've checked out Selah, and I really like his stuff, but I'm hoping to not go that route

Re: Thoughts on an MTM - RAAL 70-10D and SS 18WU/8741T

Nate, you are still around. look here http://www.kaiser-acoustics.com/ before jumping in and spending any money. the Vivace is in my top three favorite speakers I have ever listened to. please no flame throwers, but I personally like the Mundorf AMT much better than the Raals. even though I am a huge fan of MTM designs if I were going to spend the kind of money you are looking at, I would go with and Mundorf AMT tweeter, a SS 18W8531GOO or one of the 15M or 15W for a mid and a 22W4581 T00 for a woofer. i will be building something like this very soon. i have all the drivers finally. i have looked into the illuminators, and listened to them quite a few times. i jut do not think that they are worth the money. you get a little more x max, but nothing else. i still like the sound of the revelators better.
    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Hi

I think Jeff is about to announce another new speaker design using RAAL 70-10D with SB top line woofer.

maybe also a MTM coming out together ?

you might wanna wait for that:D

Comment

How about these guys (http://www.vaporsound.com/speakers/stiff-breeze/)?

Comment

IMO, I wouldn't run a 6" woofer up to 3K. I would pick a smaller woofer for a better directivity match. If you have a pair of decent subs already, smaller drivers shouldn't be an issue either.
          "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

If by Jeff, you mean JeffB, I do hope so! I have been hoping he would release that design soon.

Comment

Originally posted by tf1216 View Post
              Hmm, those are interesting, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                Nate, you are still around. look here http://www.kaiser-acoustics.com/ before jumping in and spending any money. the Vivace is in my top three favorite speakers I have ever listened to. please no flame throwers, but I personally like the Mundorf AMT much better than the Raals. even though I am a huge fan of MTM designs if I were going to spend the kind of money you are looking at, I would go with and Mundorf AMT tweeter, a SS 18W8531GOO or one of the 15M or 15W for a mid and a 22W4581 T00 for a woofer. i will be building something like this very soon. i have all the drivers finally. i have looked into the illuminators, and listened to them quite a few times. i jut do not think that they are worth the money. you get a little more x max, but nothing else. i still like the sound of the revelators better.
                Thanks Craig,

I've been trying to read up on the Mundorf's, haven't seen too much info on them, but to be honest, I haven't really looked that much, I'll fix that this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by pknaz View Post
                  If by Jeff, you mean JeffB, I do hope so! I have been hoping he would release that design soon.
                  I have an MT and an MTM design completed using the SB Satori woofer and RAAL 70-20XR tweeter. I just haven't sent all of the information to Meniscus yet. The MTM is an exceptional performer, incredible bass and dynamics for the a design like this.

Jeff
                  Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                    I have an MT and an MTM design completed using the SB Satori woofer and RAAL 70-20XR tweeter. I just haven't sent all of the information to Meniscus yet. The MTM is an exceptional performer, incredible bass and dynamics for the a design like this.

Jeff
                    That's awesome, I've been waiting for this to come out from you! - I'll hold off on any plans until I see your releases. Thanks Jeff!

Comment

Jeffs Design looks really interesting. Thats some seriously high end components + one of the best designers. Almost don't know if you could get any higher end then that driver wise.

Also, the Stiff Breeze from Vapor looks to be killer too. I looked it up and it got great reviews everywhere it went. Still using RAAL, pretty decent mid woofers, and it also comes as a kit for a very reduced price. Id give them an email. I chatted with Pete a lot about the breeze/stiff breeze and he was seriously fantastic to talk to.

Comment

hi Jeff

I would love to build one of these.Have you thought about making them into MLTL to get more bass extension.no matter what,no doubt these are ganna be very very good speaker.thanks ahead

Keith

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by lct0221 View Post
                          hi Jeff

I would love to build one of these.Have you thought about making them into MLTL to get more bass extension.no matter what,no doubt these are ganna be very very good speaker.thanks ahead

Keith
                          Yes, I agree. We have already discussed this option. This would take it down to about 30hz, which would take care of most user's needs.

Here's what the test speaker looks like:

Jeff B.
                          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Very nice, very excited for this to be available!

Comment

Jeff ,
                              Sound quality is guaranteed and should have nice spl ?!
                              ,donc

Comment

Working...
                              X