a vifa vs. scan speak ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a vifa vs. scan speak ?

i was told that the ScanSpeak Discovery R2604/8330 while being the same design as the Vifa XT25BG60-04 was made with better parts and the scan sounds better in the lower range. if i am playing them both crossed over at 2000 or even 1800hz. will there be a difference?

Re: a vifa vs. scan speak ?

the R2604 seems to have a little lower distortion numbers. can you hear the difference, maybe, not sure. I would not cross either at 1800 and would really think about it at 2000 hz. 2500 is where the tweeter really starts to shine.
    craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

i only put 1800hz because i have begun to understand that i like the low end of large format tweeters. 8000hz down is what sounds good to me. some sound full there and some sound thin. that's not saying i only need that range but i think that above that most tweeters i have heard sound good. but not many sound that good below. i just like to have that range sound great.

Comment

I am not sure there are any differences at all. Some have said there is better QC in the European model. I think it would take some batch testing to verify what, if any differences, exist. I can't afford that lol.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

With my experience from measuring the Vifa XT25TG30-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator Tweeter, which is very similar, the 3rd order HD doesn't show up until 1800-1900hz. It depends on your crossover, but I wouldn't worry about the Vifa causing issues. They are pretty stout from my experience.

Comment

They are not ring raidators, but my expirences in using a Vifa DX25 VS a D2604/833000 which are esentially the same is measuablly subtle but acoustically apparent.

The 2604 had more of everything in terms of apparent resoultion (lower distorion measured), transient response (better tolerances in the motor/more linear), and was better behaved at higher volumes crossed low.

In this instance, it is well worth the price difference. I am unsure this may always be the case, but that is speculation. You can but a resistor for $1 with a 5% tolerance, or you can but the same exact resistor with a 0.1% tol for $25.... I believe that is the difference bwteen the Scan and Vifa. Everything just has a little more TLC.

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
                They are not ring raidators, but my expirences in using a Vifa DX25 VS a D2604/833000 which are esentially the same is measuablly subtle but acoustically apparent.

The 2604 had more of everything in terms of apparent resoultion (lower distorion measured), transient response (better tolerances in the motor/more linear), and was better behaved at higher volumes crossed low.

In this instance, it is well worth the price difference. I am unsure this may always be the case, but that is speculation. You can but a resistor for $1 with a 5% tolerance, or you can but the same exact resistor with a 0.1% tol for $25.... I believe that is the difference bwteen the Scan and Vifa. Everything just has a little more TLC.
                the highlighted red quote is what is most important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by michaeldozier View Post
                  the highlighted red quote is what is most important to me.
                  This crossed directly to a HIVI D8.8 in "The Fatbellies"... The thread gets ressurected once in a while. It's not that the DX25 would not do it, but the faster onset of distortion made it very grainy which became intolerable at high volumes... That was also crossed at 1200 with a brick wall at 800 so I was pushing the limits anyway. The DX25 is still one of my Fav. go-to tweeters for a 1" when crossing at 2K, soft slope or higher.

Again, I am unsure how this translates over to the ring raidators. The XT19 is interesting in that the distortion skyrockets below 2.3K which I found strange since the motor, "xmax", and capability seems it would handle a 2K crossover just fine. It is only 3/4" afterall. It seems that sharp rise in distortorn is inherent in the XT series all together. Wonder if it's a ring radiator thing....

Comment

i am really just looking for a tweeter in this price range that (maybe 100$ each)will play to 2000hz loud and sound great doing it. i have a few morels(supremos and mdt105s) that i love but no one including morel knows what replacement voice coil i can use for the mdt105s and i have been waiting for a while for replacements for the supremos(car version) and the are 100$ each before shipping. the mdt105s got taken out when my amp went and the supremos i got caught in a bad deal. they were bad before i got them.

Comment

I have experience with trying the scanspeak R2604/8330 low crossed in a two way and it sounded very grainy (lr4th @ 1500). I swapped for rs28f's and saved the scans for when a higher cross was in order (pun intended). I thought the scans might work low campared to vifa's but it wasnt so.

Comment

There was a website I found a few weeks ago that compared the two directly with measurements. They are almost identical, but the Scanspeak did have slightly lower distortion. I don't know how many samples they tested, so it might be attributable to production variances.
                        -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by christophertherrick View Post
                          I have experience with trying the scanspeak R2604/8330 low crossed in a two way and it sounded very grainy (lr4th @ 1500). I swapped for rs28f's and saved the scans for when a higher cross was in order (pun intended). I thought the scans might work low campared to vifa's but it wasnt so.
                          LR4 at 1500 is not enough..... Do a search for the Fatbellies thread. I talked extensivly about using that tweeter in a design fellow DIY-ers hailed as smooth and detailed. It even won top spot in its category at DIYNY a few years back. Yes, the RS will, but it is larger and you lose some off axis perfromance with it. It's a game of sacrifices, not winning in this hobby.

Comment

Anyone have frd and zma files for the scanspeak R2604/8330?

Comment

as i talk with you guys here's what i find strange. mind you i don't follow the technical side of drivers well. there are a group of drivers (in this case tweeters) that most of you use a lot. but there seems to be no consensuses on what there capabilities are. i know that some of it comes form the fact of different types of uses. also some from people miss using them like say if a tweeter can play at 2000hz but it needs to have a steep crossover and it doesn't get used so the person hears bad distortion and comes to the board and says it can't play to 2000hz it has to be 3000hz. it would seem that the question of a low playing tweet gets asked a lot from what i read but half of the group goes sure it can play low then others go it can never play low. in a 2way there are trade offs i understand but i think there has to be a way we could make a faq of general stuff like drivers that play well with others , nice budget tweeters, mid ranges and mid basses. i'm just a noob talking.

Comment

Working...
                              X