Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your favorite tweeters at different price points

Originally posted by GranteedEV View Post
    I'm not gonna pretend I've had a quarter as much experience with these tweeters as some of the regulars here on tech-talk, but here are some of the drivers on my "short-list" -

Smallish Budget

Vifa NE19VTA-04
    Vifa NE25VTA-04
    Seas 22TAF/G
    SB-Acoustics SB26ADC
    Usher 9950-20
    KAXBLTWT (*group buy tweeter - very similar to the LD25X)
    CSS LD22

Mediumish Budget

BG Neo3
    Tang Band 25-1743S
    CDX1-1425
    SB TW29R Satori
    BMS 4550
    CSS Planar 2

Mortgage Budget

Radian 475BePB
    RAAL 70-10D (i have the pleasure of listening to this beauty whenever I want. Wouldn't trade it for the world.)
    RAAL 70-20XR
    Seas Excel T29B001
    Anything from Transducer Lab.
    Beyma TPL-150H
    TAD 2002
    Scanspeak 6640
    Scan Speak, R2904 (only to try for use with a waveguide due to the phase plug)
    The Satori is a actually more money than the TLabs tweeters....
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

What is this group buy tweeter?

Comment

It's a pseudo clone of the CSS LD25X.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-groupbuy.html

Looks quite interesting. I was considering using it in an upcoming project but I think I'm gonna go with the $98 Trans Labs tweets. They look so sexy. :P
        Last edited by monkish54; 08-16-2014, 08:57 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE]It's a pseudo clone of the CSS LD25X.[QUOTE]

The only part "cloned is the butterfly assembly shape. It makes it easier to use in some wave guides designed by Dave Pellegrene.

The rest is a redesign by myself. I took a great design that had great potential and made sure it was made according to the design. It costs a bit more. But not that much more to create a tight QC driver.

I'm in China right now setting up a suite of very high performance woofers and mids. The tweeters should be run within a few weeks.

Comment

In the just under 50 bucks range; the Fostex FT17H is very hard to beat. This is a "super tweeter" so it must be crossed over high. 5KHz to 8KHz I recommend 3rd order. 8KHz to 14KHz 2nd order and above 14KHz 1st order will work. The inner detail and transients put many high dollar tweeters to shame! These things start and stop "on a dime"; they are extremely clean and truthful! If you have a fullrange or wide-band midrange that needs help at the top one or two ocataves, you can't go wrong here. The SPL sensitivity is 100 dB which gives the designer plenty of head room to work with as to crossover frequency, slope, attenuation, etc.

Comment

I've heard good things about these wavecor tweets - are they at the same level as the RS28F or HDS? http://www.wilaudio.com/fr/aigu/294-tw022wa05.html

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                Under $40:
                Vifa DX25
                Vifa XT25TG30
                Vifa XT25SC90 (or -50)
                Beston RT003C
                HiVi TN25
                Dayton ND28
                Vifa OX20
                TB 28-537
                Vifa XT19
                Vifa NE19VTS
                Seas 22TAFC/G

$40-100:
                HiVi RT1.3 (why is this on clearance?)
                HiVi RT1C-A
                Dayton RS28A
                Usher 9950
                Fountek NeoCD1.0
                TB 25-1743S (some places at $109)
                Wavecor TW030
                Seas 27TFFC

$100+:
                Hiquphon OW3
                Seas Millenium
                AC G2Si
                Visaton MHT12
                Morel MDT33 (NLA)
                SS D2905/9700
                AC AST2560-dipolar
                SS D3004/6600
                Satori
                Transducer Labs N26C-A
                LCY 110
                Seas T25-001 (NLA)
                CSS LD25X (soon to be NLA)

That I've experienced, these were in the upper areas of the price ranges, and I've not heard enough from RAAL to really be sure how I think yet about them.
                Later,
                Wolf
                I realize this post is a few years old, BUT; has anyone directly compared the Aurum Cantus AMT vs. their ribbons? I am looking specifically at the AST2560 (AMT) and the G2Si (ribbon). I would use these in a 3-way so distortion shouldn't be an issue crossing at 4KHz or higher (2nd or maybe even 3rd order?). I have used ribbons in the past and really like the sound. Cheaper units though due tend to have way too much distortion (so I have only used higher build quality drivers). Thanks!

Comment

If it was a couple bucks cheaper that SB 26stcn would fit nicely into the 40$ class
                  ‘There are none so blind as those who will not see.’

Comment

Originally posted by bret191 View Post
                    If it was a couple bucks cheaper that SB 26stcn would fit nicely into the 40$ class
                    Umh, the 26stcn is under $35 and the 26stac is just under $44 at Meniscus. Both are well below their value IMO.
                    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

[QUOTE=mwmkravchenko;2009726][QUOTE]It's a pseudo clone of the CSS LD25X.

The only part "cloned is the butterfly assembly shape. It makes it easier to use in some wave guides designed by Dave Pellegrene.

The rest is a redesign by myself. I took a great design that had great potential and made sure it was made according to the design. It costs a bit more. But not that much more to create a tight QC driver.

I'm in China right now setting up a suite of very high performance woofers and mids. The tweeters should be run within a few weeks.
                      Has anyone received their tweeters yet?

Comment

were they part of a group buy? I would hope so, that was some time ago if I remember correctly

Comment

Still absolutely love the XT25BG60 for 35 bucks.
                          Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
                          MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

Comment

I just finish a build with the HiVi TN25. I hated doing the recess cut out and I swore I'd never use the tweeter again.

Now after listening I may have been a bit to harsh.
                            John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
                              I just finish a build with the HiVi TN25. I hated doing the recess cut out and I swore I'd never use the tweeter again.

Now after listening I may have been a bit to harsh.
                              Sweet sounding little boogers ain't they? My Sophomores wouldn't sound as they do without them.
                              Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Anyone ever do a direct comparison between the AC G3Si ribbon vs the AC AST 2560 AMT? The waterfall plots seem to indicate the ribbon starts and stops faster (but only by a small amount). I need "extra boost" above about 12KHz since I'm knocking on the door of 60! I would be using either of these only in a 3-way crossed at 5KHz or higher so the distortion mentioned by "Zaph" and others shouldn't be an issue!?? Also, anybody try the new TL berylliums yet? Some papers suggest that this is the best material for dome tweeters because of the strength to weight ratio.

Comment

Working...
                                X