• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• danspeakerman
    replied
    Re: Your favorite tweeters at different price points

Originally posted by danspeakerman View Post
    Anyone ever do a direct comparison between the AC G3Si ribbon vs the AC AST 2560 AMT? The waterfall plots seem to indicate the ribbon starts and stops faster (but only by a small amount). I need "extra boost" above about 12KHz since I'm knocking on the door of 60! I would be using either of these only in a 3-way crossed at 5KHz or higher so the distortion mentioned by "Zaph" and others shouldn't be an issue!?? Also, anybody try the new TL berylliums yet? Some papers suggest that this is the best material for dome tweeters because of the strength to weight ratio.
    https://www.hifisound.de/en/Do-it-yo...ood+Acoustics/

http://www.aurumcantus.com/aurumcant...ostriction.htm

Someone pointed out that the Harwood and Aurum Cantus AST (AMT) are one in the same. The Harwood FRs and waterfalls however are different than the Aurums. Anyone ever look at these differences? I would love to use a large RAAL or Mundorf AMT in the $600 plus range but can't justify it right now. Still curious if anyone has done a direct comparison of the Aurum AST 2560 (AMT) to the Aurum G3Si (ribbon)?

Leave a comment:

• bill poster
    replied

went a bit nuts and bought a pair of TL Berylliums on ebay(Idaho seller) 2 days ago. Hopefully the build will be finished by 2018..:roll eyes: I'll get back to you about how they sound

Quite a few ribbons have a rise in that region; something like the Fountek X2.0 perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• danspeakerman
    replied

Anyone ever do a direct comparison between the AC G3Si ribbon vs the AC AST 2560 AMT? The waterfall plots seem to indicate the ribbon starts and stops faster (but only by a small amount). I need "extra boost" above about 12KHz since I'm knocking on the door of 60! I would be using either of these only in a 3-way crossed at 5KHz or higher so the distortion mentioned by "Zaph" and others shouldn't be an issue!?? Also, anybody try the new TL berylliums yet? Some papers suggest that this is the best material for dome tweeters because of the strength to weight ratio.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by jhollander View Post
    I just finish a build with the HiVi TN25. I hated doing the recess cut out and I swore I'd never use the tweeter again.

Now after listening I may have been a bit to harsh.
    Sweet sounding little boogers ain't they? My Sophomores wouldn't sound as they do without them.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• jhollander
    replied

I just finish a build with the HiVi TN25. I hated doing the recess cut out and I swore I'd never use the tweeter again.

Now after listening I may have been a bit to harsh.

Leave a comment:

• Ray Tremblay
    replied

Still absolutely love the XT25BG60 for 35 bucks.

Leave a comment:

• bill poster
    replied

were they part of a group buy? I would hope so, that was some time ago if I remember correctly

Leave a comment:

• bigfishe
    replied

[QUOTE=mwmkravchenko;2009726][QUOTE]It's a pseudo clone of the CSS LD25X.

The only part "cloned is the butterfly assembly shape. It makes it easier to use in some wave guides designed by Dave Pellegrene.

The rest is a redesign by myself. I took a great design that had great potential and made sure it was made according to the design. It costs a bit more. But not that much more to create a tight QC driver.

I'm in China right now setting up a suite of very high performance woofers and mids. The tweeters should be run within a few weeks.
    Has anyone received their tweeters yet?

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied

Originally posted by bret191 View Post
    If it was a couple bucks cheaper that SB 26stcn would fit nicely into the 40$ class
    Umh, the 26stcn is under $35 and the 26stac is just under $44 at Meniscus. Both are well below their value IMO.

Leave a comment:

• bret191
    replied

If it was a couple bucks cheaper that SB 26stcn would fit nicely into the 40$ class

Leave a comment:

• danspeakerman
    replied

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    Under $40:
    Vifa DX25
    Vifa XT25TG30
    Vifa XT25SC90 (or -50)
    Beston RT003C
    HiVi TN25
    Dayton ND28
    Vifa OX20
    TB 28-537
    Vifa XT19
    Vifa NE19VTS
    Seas 22TAFC/G

$40-100:
    HiVi RT1.3 (why is this on clearance?)
    HiVi RT1C-A
    Dayton RS28A
    Usher 9950
    Fountek NeoCD1.0
    TB 25-1743S (some places at $109)
    Wavecor TW030
    Seas 27TFFC

$100+:
    Hiquphon OW3
    Seas Millenium
    AC G2Si
    Visaton MHT12
    Morel MDT33 (NLA)
    SS D2905/9700
    AC AST2560-dipolar
    SS D3004/6600
    Satori
    Transducer Labs N26C-A
    LCY 110
    Seas T25-001 (NLA)
    CSS LD25X (soon to be NLA)

That I've experienced, these were in the upper areas of the price ranges, and I've not heard enough from RAAL to really be sure how I think yet about them.
    Later,
    Wolf
    I realize this post is a few years old, BUT; has anyone directly compared the Aurum Cantus AMT vs. their ribbons? I am looking specifically at the AST2560 (AMT) and the G2Si (ribbon). I would use these in a 3-way so distortion shouldn't be an issue crossing at 4KHz or higher (2nd or maybe even 3rd order?). I have used ribbons in the past and really like the sound. Cheaper units though due tend to have way too much distortion (so I have only used higher build quality drivers). Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• bill poster
    replied

I've heard good things about these wavecor tweets - are they at the same level as the RS28F or HDS? http://www.wilaudio.com/fr/aigu/294-tw022wa05.html

Leave a comment:

• danspeakerman
    replied

In the just under 50 bucks range; the Fostex FT17H is very hard to beat. This is a "super tweeter" so it must be crossed over high. 5KHz to 8KHz I recommend 3rd order. 8KHz to 14KHz 2nd order and above 14KHz 1st order will work. The inner detail and transients put many high dollar tweeters to shame! These things start and stop "on a dime"; they are extremely clean and truthful! If you have a fullrange or wide-band midrange that needs help at the top one or two ocataves, you can't go wrong here. The SPL sensitivity is 100 dB which gives the designer plenty of head room to work with as to crossover frequency, slope, attenuation, etc.

Leave a comment:

• mwmkravchenko
    replied

[QUOTE]It's a pseudo clone of the CSS LD25X.[QUOTE]

The only part "cloned is the butterfly assembly shape. It makes it easier to use in some wave guides designed by Dave Pellegrene.

The rest is a redesign by myself. I took a great design that had great potential and made sure it was made according to the design. It costs a bit more. But not that much more to create a tight QC driver.

I'm in China right now setting up a suite of very high performance woofers and mids. The tweeters should be run within a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• monkish54
    replied

It's a pseudo clone of the CSS LD25X.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-groupbuy.html

Looks quite interesting. I was considering using it in an upcoming project but I think I'm gonna go with the $98 Trans Labs tweets. They look so sexy. :P
    Last edited by monkish54; 08-16-2014, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X