Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting ready to start a project for a friend with the Vifa NE180W-8 and Dayton RS28a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready to start a project for a friend with the Vifa NE180W-8 and Dayton RS28a

After I built The Brohaus for my brother, I had a friend who asked me to build him a pair of speakers for $500. Unfortunately I don't have acess to a wood shop anymore, so I couldn't build the enclosures myself. Because of this, we stuck with a traditional 2-way and I decided to go with the Vifa NE180W-8 and the Dayton RS28a in the 0.5 cubic ft box.

I got the drivers in last night and have to say the build quality on both look outstanding. I was really surprised at how light weight the Vifas are. But I also was rather dissapointed in the packaging of the NE180. For $90 (on sale, regular is like $125) the packaging was pretty crappy. Nothing came damaged, but if you look at how the RS series drivers are packaged, it puts the Vifa to shame. The Vifa TC6, a $10 driver, I bought was packaged the same way. I assumed it was just because it was so cheap, but I guess this is just how Vifa packages all of their drivers.

The RS28a, on the other hand, came packaged with multiple layers of cardboard, a plastic film between some of the layers to prevent dust on the dome, and even a gasket glued onto the packaging to prevent scratching the faceplate. Hats off to Dayton for superb packaging.

I took some picutures of the drivers and will post some soon.
    -Kerry

Re: Getting ready to start a project for a friend with the Vifa NE180W-8 and Dayton R

Those drivers should make a fantastic combo Kerry. Didn't Vapor use those drivers in the speaker Pete brought to DIY Chicago? I think they put the RS28a in a wave guide. Yeah pretty dissapointing about the Vifa packaging. The RS series and Usher stuff is always well packaged.
    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Re: Getting ready to start a project for a friend with the Vifa NE180W-8 and Dayton R

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
      Those drivers should make a fantastic combo Kerry. Didn't Vapor use those drivers in the speaker Pete brought to DIY Chicago? I think they put the RS28a in a wave guide. Yeah pretty dissapointing about the Vifa packaging. The RS series and Usher stuff is always well packaged.
      I know Vapor has used both drivers, but I don't know if they did together or not.
      -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
        I know Vapor has used both drivers, but I don't know if they did together or not.
        The MiniByzy used the NE225W-04 and RS28. The Aurora now uses the T-labs N26C-G in that same guide.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

The MiniByzy used the NE225W-04 and RS28. The Aurora now uses the T-labs N26C-G in that same guide.
          I was thinking you used the 8" version.
          -Kerry

Comment

I bought a pair of the Vifas and I want to see how your design turns out.

Comment

Working...
            X