Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini Desktop speakers. Dragon Foal, PC, ect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Desktop speakers. Dragon Foal, PC, ect?

Looking of recommendations for the best super small sized desktop PC speakers.

Original inspirations comes from Wolfs PC speakers. I was looking to see if theres any other designs out there in the same category. Small sealed full rangers.

Ive seen the dragon foals, zaphs similar version, OS, ect. But I'm looking for super small and sealed, augmented with maybe a Voxel mini sub.

Any ideas come to mind? I would just go with the PC. But many have said the off axis up high is quite a drop off. And I've seen in threads wolf mention the B3M was just a better sounding driver with better high end dispersion.

- Basically looking for something I could do very cheap for a couple set of xmass gifts, maybe with a small little Lepai amp. I saw there was the one model that had 2x40 + 68w sub out.

Re: Mini Desktop speakers. Dragon Foal, PC, ect?

there was one around here somewhere that used like $10 worth of speakers per side. i'm looking for it now.

edit: the ones i was thinking of are called the minions, but the driver is nla. how about nano neos? http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...t-of-Nano-Neos!

Comment

Originally posted by kanemack View Post
      there was one around here somewhere that used like $10 worth of speakers per side. i'm looking for it now.

edit: the ones i was thinking of are called the minions, but the driver is nla. how about nano neos? http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...t-of-Nano-Neos!
      Think smaller! Super small. Like a 3" full range in a small 5x5 box. Augmented by a mini 5"-6" sub

Comment

tdv has probably made more than a dozen of my Pico Neo and gifted them with a Lepai 2020 (he even made me some cabs, which I'm listening to right now!). Even at the current $22 each, the NS3-183-8 is a great buy (but for YEARS they were sold for $12.50 each - afaik, this ended this past year). About 0.15 cf is fairly small, esp. if you consider that you doN'T need a separate sub (or its plate amp). His cabs measure 5.5"w x 9"d x 10.5"h, with 3/4" stock. You can shave them down a tad by using 5/8" stuff. They'll play strong to 50Hz. No filter required.

2 AURAs, 2 boxes (your favorite, cheap terminals), 2 port tubes (nothin' wrong with cardboard), some lining, and a Lepai 2020. Cool.

Comment

Dayton's ND65-8 looks purdy good in 102 cu.in., and still clears 50Hz. That'd be about 4.5"w x 4"d x 11" tall, which helps get the dirver up closer to ear height (and off the desktop). Why build teensie speakers that need weensie little stands under them to make them sound good?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
            Dayton's ND65-8 looks purdy good in 102 cu.in., and still clears 50Hz. That'd be about 4.5"w x 4"d x 11" tall, which helps get the dirver up closer to ear height (and off the desktop). Why build teensie speakers that need weensie little stands under them to make them sound good?
            You have a point, but its just footprint based. No one id be gifting would be all that worried about proper height, ect. Wont even be critical listening of any sort. And I know smaller will be better.

If anything itl be more the novelty That I made it, and a pretty looking cab. I'd possibly rather give them a slight up angle to put it on axis with the ear better and keep them small and low profile

Comment

Originally posted by Cazten View Post
              You have a point, but its just footprint based. No one id be gifting would be all that worried about proper height, ect. Wont even be critical listening of any sort. And I know smaller will be better.
              try the Mariposa's. small, cheap 2-way using the HiWave 3".
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?239341

I think the Dadiels use the ND65 in a small format 2-way, but it may not be as cheap or as small as you'd like.
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/showthread.php?224659
              TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

The M3N sounds better than the Aura to me anyway. M3 better than B3, IMO. You need contour on the M3, whereas the Aura you kinda don't.
                Tradeoffs,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  The M3N sounds better than the Aura to me anyway. M3 better than B3, IMO. You need contour on the M3, whereas the Aura you kinda don't.
                  Tradeoffs,
                  Wolf
                  Contour?
                  Wolf, would your design be adaptable to completely sealed in smaller box?

Comment

Contour?
                    Wolf, would your design be adaptable to completely sealed in smaller box?
                    Not the Dragon Foals, no. You'll lose pretty much all bass, and your BSC.
                    Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

If anything itl be more the novelty That I made it, and a pretty looking cab. I'd possibly rather give them a slight up angle to put it on axis with the ear better and keep them small and low profile
                      If this is the case then I would say Wolf's PC. I haven't heard his design, but I have been listening to the NS3 for several months in my garage (in the Sprite and a TL), and I am very pleased with it. The top end roll off hasn't been a big deal for me. Does the amp you're thinking of have treble control? Then the highs can be dialed in to suit.

2 cents from a newb

Comment

It may be a bit big but the [http://divine-audio.com/pecorino]Pecorino is still pretty small, especially if you use the project box.
                        Last edited by cjd; 11-18-2013, 02:15 PM.
                        diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                          The M1's will do all of this, in a similar size cabinet and not need a sub, and were designed spicifically for desktop (not just nearfield) use. You could easily drop the cab size by 25% and seal them if you MUST have a sub with no x-over mods necessary.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...nk-Info-thread

Comment

The Sprite could be built as separates and they have fantastic bass output for such a small speaker. I would think that if you were to use them in a 2.1 setup they would outperform any PC speaker on the market. My sprite boombox was just completed and I think it sounds fantastic.

I am also going to be building a pair of Wolf's PC speakers with the same drivers as a gift. If they are anything like the sprite I am sure they will sound fabulous.

Kevin
                            Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                            OS MTM's
                            Digger 8 sub
                            Overnight Sensations Center Channel
                            Sprite Build
                            Wolf's PC Speakers
                            Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

There is a version 3 of the Minions that uses a regularly stocked driver whereas the first two versions used buyout drivers. Start at the end of this thread and work your way back. It is a 4.5" external dimension sealed cube

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...22-The-Minions

Comment

Working...
                              X