AudioQuest DragonFly = HiFimeDIY Sabre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AudioQuest DragonFly = HiFimeDIY Sabre

are they identical DACs, which one is better?

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Dra...uest+Dragonfly

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route...product_id=123

Re: AudioQuest DragonFly = HiFimeDIY Sabre

Not sure if they are identical, or if not which one is better, but significant price difference!

Comment

Well,,,,, Audioquest has a good reputation. At $99 bucks it should be a steal considering it started it's life at $250. Also it has been favorably reviewed in all the rags!

Never heard of the other one and when I checked it's out of stock. That may answer your question in and of itself.

I think I'm getting the Audioquest for Xmas. Maybe I'll have a review than. Have fun! Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Psycoacoustics View Post
        Well,,,,, Audioquest has a good reputation.***

They do? They're a mere wire reseller with a history of rather repugnantly anti-science ad copy.

So unless you mean "good reputation for running a profitable scam" I don't see it.
        --
        "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
          They do? They're a mere wire reseller with a history of rather repugnantly anti-science ad copy.

So unless you mean "good reputation for running a profitable scam" I don't see it.
          You must not be familiar with the Dragonfly. It is a very highly regarded DAC for laptop use.
          Jeff
          Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Yes, Audioquest had Gordon Rankin, industry icon, to lead the development team for the Dragonfly. Stereophile magazine budget and overall products of the year for 2012. Very highly regarded in all reviews.

I've enjoyed using my Dragonfly for the past year. At $99 it is a steal on closeout.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
              You must not be familiar with the Dragonfly. It is a very highly regarded DAC for laptop use.
              Jeff
              I know what the little box is.

My comment was about the reputation of the firm generally. They are disgusting slimy scammers with repugnant ads like this one:

IMO, the Meridian Explorer at $300 is a better value than the little dragonthing at $99. The Explorer gives a tangible benefit: two line-level outputs, one fixed and one variable volume. The scammers' box just duplicates functionality computers typically have.
              --
              "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Jeff
                My money is on the Dragonfly being a rebadge of something else.

Comment

Anyone used one of these with a Surface Pro? The output is too low with my AIFF songs.

Comment

Jeff
                    Thanks for the back-up Jeff!

Comment

Originally posted by jinjuku View Post
                      My money is on the Dragonfly being a rebadge of something else.
                      You don't read much do you?

Comment

The newer version 1.2 is reviewed here:
                        http://www.audiostream.com/content/a...udio-converter

Comment

Gordon Rankin worked on the Dragonfly. It is not a rebadge. A little Google effort and Gordon's involvement makes itself clear. Hifimediy is good value for the money, but not as good as the Dragonfly. DACs, like speakers, are part art and science. Experience counts. Thorsten Loesch has written up his own opinions on the hifimediy and found them wanting. Hifimediy is basically a direct from China maker of solid amps and dacs - like Sure, but a notch more reliable and better quality. Thorsten (of IFI and AMR) and Gordon (Wavelength) are on a whole other level. Both are/were active in the diy community if you know where to look.

And I mean Jesus, the Dragonfly is $99. Isn't that cheap enough given what you get compared to even 3 years ago?

Comment

Working...
                          X