Slot Port Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slot Port Question

I'm working on a Titanic 10" Mk3 in a Vented box, total available volume after bracing is = ~35 liters. My sim is below, I subtracted the volume of the port from the total volume and recalculated until I got it to the balance listed. The slot is 6.5" wide, and 1.5" tall, and the required length is 36.25", which ends up being ~5.5 liters in volume.

I've included my drawing of the slot port, and how I calculated my length. I don't know for sure if I did it right or not. I've got the centerline measurement of the length equal to 36.25", but I don't know if it should measure that on the centerline or shortest distance.

Let me know if I'm on the right track!

Sim:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SlotPort.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1187149

2D View: Dotted line = air path measurement

Name:	SlotPort2.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1187151

3S View 1:

Name:	SlotPort3.png
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	1187150

3d View 2:

Name:	SlotPort1.png
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	1187152

Re: Slot Port Question

Measurement right down the centerline.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Alright, sweet! That's what I had done. Thank you!

Comment

I remember somewhere that slot ports tend to act slightly longer than they measure, maybe due to all the friction of the twisting back and forth. Not sure if its true.
        Check out my website: www.uberstealthaudio.com.
        Now offering cnc cut baffles and other speaker cabinet parts

Comment

I think your port might be on the small side and you might end up with some port noise.

Here is an online calculator for determining optimal port size: http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Comment

The slot port here is 9.75 sq in or about a 3.5" round port. The calc suggested 12.5 in or a 4" port. That would have called for a port length of about 48in. Unless the goal is to play this at high volumes, port noise will be at a minimum in reality.

Comment

Originally posted by nikbrewer View Post
              I remember somewhere that slot ports tend to act slightly longer than they measure, maybe due to all the friction of the twisting back and forth. Not sure if its true.
              You might be thinking of end correction nik.

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                The slot port here is 9.75 sq in or about a 3.5" round port. The calc suggested 12.5 in or a 4" port. That would have called for a port length of about 48in. Unless the goal is to play this at high volumes, port noise will be at a minimum in reality.
                I had to play with it for a long time in the sim to get it do a reasonable length yet not be chuffing constantly at a reasonable output. It'll be rear firing so hopefully it won't be too excessive. There's going to be two of these in the room identical, so I doubt either one will get turned up loud enough to start chuffing very often, and if it is, I'm probably not going to hear it over the sound of the system! At least that's my hope. I heard somewhere that slot ports don't often chuff as bad as round ports, but that may be false, not sure where I read that.

Would putting a little bit of stuffing along the last section of the port slow the airspeed? Would that also lower tuning though? I'm alright with dropping the tuning up to 5hz realistically, I just didn't want the extra port length.

Comment

I think you will be find Adam. I don't think lining the port is needed but I do like to line the walls of the enclosure with something ie mattress topper, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by isaeagle4031 View Post
                    I think you will be find Adam. I don't think lining the port is needed but I do like to line the walls of the enclosure with something ie mattress topper, etc.
                    Yeah, I plan on lining it with mattress topper, stapled to the inside of the cab where I can. Thanks for the input!

Comment

90% of the time, I semi-build a box and clamp it together **dry** to double check tuning.

Fool Proof!!!

Comment

If you "roundover" the exit, you'll have no trouble (this is 3/8", I think). This is my "Slot Ported 10" sub. Under 1 cf net. 1" x 10.5" slot. Looks to be 51" long (OK, MAYBE 50-1/2"). You'd have to be off by at least 5% in length to appreciably alter the tuning. That COULD be a big deal on a vent that's under 10" long, but even if you're off by a couple inches (in measurement/calculation) on a vent that's 30", 40", or 50" long, it becomes a non-issue.

This has NO stuffing/lining whatsoever. SA250 amp, no boost. Plays from 20-40Hz. Nice. Really rumbles.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X