Eminence Delta Pro 18A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminence Delta Pro 18A

I picked up two of these at the KY event and I've really been wondering what on earth I could do with them. I've been thinking about putting them in an H frame, anyone have any thoughts? Most of my intertube searching brings up a lot of results for the 15" version, but other than the name, there isn't a lot of similarities in the two drivers. If I could get mid 30's extension out of an H frame, these would make great bottom ends to a three way.

Would love to here ideas!

Re: Eminence Delta Pro 18A

Originally posted by pknaz View Post
    If I could get mid 30's extension out of an H frame.
    You won't. They're optimized for pro-sound and even in a vented box are only good to a 45Hz f3.
    www.billfitzmaurice.com
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

MAYBE high 30s, in 9cf vented, but they'll be limited to about 230w at Xmax.

Comment

And for the third different opinion among as many replies . . .

If you are going to employ active EQ, you probably can get whatever you want from those woofers in an H-frame.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Qts, Fs, Xmax ?
          A mains
          The Ventures
          Open Invit8tions
          RSR
          Sound Troopers
          Acorns
          DGBG's
          The Monuments

Comment

These are taken from PE's product page, I'll probably throw them in a box simulator next week some time (out of country with only my iPad) to see what normal boxes can yield, but H-frames are a different animal and was really wondering who might have experience with them and if anyone had pointers on dimensions or simulators for H-frames.

http://www.parts-express.com/eminenc...8-ohm--290-520

Comment

These are taken from PE's product page, I'll probably throw them in a box simulator next week some time (out of country with only my iPad) to see what normal boxes can yield, but H-frames are a different animal and was really wondering who might have experience with them and if anyone had pointers on dimensions or simulators for H-frames.

http://www.parts-express.com/eminenc...8-ohm--290-520
              With a typical H-frame, you don't want to go past 200Hz due to cavity resonances kicking in. And while they take up a lot less space than a vented enclosure will need, they also won't get nearly as loud. But like any "sub" working below 200Hz in the room, EQ is needed top optimize the in-room performance, and if you have EQ available, there's no doubt you'll get the H-frame to work. And if you don't need it loud, having 18" of OB woofer is still pretty much air moving power.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

With a typical H-frame, you don't want to go past 200Hz due to cavity resonances kicking in. And while they take up a lot less space than a vented enclosure will need, they also won't get nearly as loud. But like any "sub" working below 200Hz in the room, EQ is needed top optimize the in-room performance, and if you have EQ available, there's no doubt you'll get the H-frame to work. And if you don't need it loud, having 18" of OB woofer is still pretty much air moving power.
                According to the spec sheet, they are Xmax limited at 105db at 30 some odd Hz, which I know is in a sealed/ported enclosure, but that should be more than enough with two of them, I would think, or is the OB going to decrease their output? Am I missing something?

Comment

According to the spec sheet, they are Xmax limited at 105db at 30 some odd Hz, which I know is in a sealed/ported enclosure, but that should be more than enough with two of them, I would think, or is the OB going to decrease their output? Am I missing something?
                  OB does decrease their output relative to a sealed enclosure. Room pressurization doesn't kick in either like it does with a monopole. But with a pair of those doing OB bass, I doubt you'll be kicking yourself wondering why you didn't get the pair of 12" woofers.

Comment

You'll prolly need some EQing with that low of a Q, the FS is nice, the Xmax is a bit worrying. Of course they are 18's so that helps. Easy enough to build an H frame so I'd definatly try it before dismissing it.
                    A mains
                    The Ventures
                    Open Invit8tions
                    RSR
                    Sound Troopers
                    Acorns
                    DGBG's
                    The Monuments

Comment

Working...
                    X