Looking for tweeter suggestions and recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for tweeter suggestions and recommendations

Hello all! I recently acquired some Audax HT100KO midbass drivers, and I am looking for tweeter suggestions that will pair up nicely with them. I have a copy of an Audax publication that dates back about 20 years or so, and in it is a kit design that uses the HT100KO along with the TW010I1 tweeter along with a very simple crossover design (attached schematic). Since the TW010I1 is no longer available, so I'm looking for suggestions on tweeters that might be drop-in replacements using this design. I'm much more of a builder than a designer, so I really appreciate any advice and recommendations. I want to keep it simple and affordable, this will be a fun little project!

Thank you all!!!
    Attached Files

Re: Looking for tweeter suggestions and recommendations

Here is a link to the TWO10I1 specs: http://www.parts-express.com/audax-t...-twee--276-025
    And the HT100KO (found this online through a google seach, so no validation to accuracy): MANUF: AUDAX ID: HT100KO
    Re: 5.9, Fs: 58, Vas: .00521, Qes: .48, Qms: 2.51, Sd: ..0051, Pe: 30, Xmax: .003, Le: .34, Diam: 4, mms: .00526, bl: 4.855, sens: 85.253, qts: .3924 , accel: 922.6, frame: STEEL, cone: KEVLAR, surr: RUBBER

Comment

Those tweeters can stilly be found overseas with a little searching, otherwise any 1/2" Mylar or aluminum 8 ohm/ 91 dB tweeter would be fine. Something like this would prolly work:
      http://www.parts-express.com/goldwoo...eeter--270-170
      A mains
      The Ventures
      Open Invit8tions
      RSR
      Sound Troopers
      Acorns
      DGBG's
      The Monuments

Comment

If you want to keep it all Audax, these would be a solid pick:
        http://m.ebay.com/itm/281224761728?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
        A mains
        The Ventures
        Open Invit8tions
        RSR
        Sound Troopers
        Acorns
        DGBG's
        The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
          If you want to keep it all Audax, these would be a solid pick:
          http://m.ebay.com/itm/281224761728?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
          Thanks for the suggestion! Those might be worth trying, if for no other reason than to stay as true to the original classic design as possible. I'm also looking at these: http://www.parts-express.com/vifa-d1...eeter--264-500.

Comment

That Audax is only kicking in up around 8-10k or so. Dayton's 5/8" ND should work, 275-025 ($10).
            Change the 3uF series cap to a 5uF, and drop the series resistor (R1).
            Change the parallel resistor (R2) to 5 ohms.

This should be within a dB of that old TW anyhow.

If you come back later (and I have the time) I can trace those F/Z plots you provided and probably come up with a better (2nd order) XO for an even better result. That little woofer has some breakup issues up around 8kHz that aren't being delt with. I'll also check and see what a Zobel could do to help the rolloff.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
              That Audax is only kicking in up around 8-10k or so. Dayton's 5/8" ND should work, 275-025 ($10).
              Change the 3uF series cap to a 5uF, and drop the series resistor (R1).
              Change the parallel resistor (R2) to 5 ohms.

This should be within a dB of that old TW anyhow.

If you come back later (and I have the time) I can trace those F/Z plots you provided and probably come up with a better (2nd order) XO for an even better result. That little woofer has some breakup issues up around 8kHz that aren't being delt with. I'll also check and see what a Zobel could do to help the rolloff.

Chris
              Thanks Chris! If you have time, I would really be interested in that a 2nd order xo and Zobel!

Comment

Here's the 2nd order HP (as if drawn L > R, amp to drivers):
                4uF series cap, then a 0.15mH shunt coil (to ground), lastly an L-pad: series resistor = 4 ohms, parallel = 6 ohms.

2nd order LP w/notch: 0.80mH series coil (#20) WITH a tiny 0.47uF cap in parallel with this coil, then a 3uF shunt cap (to gnd).

This would have a very similar FR to the 1st order XO, except that the drivers are crossing a lot more steeply above 4kHz (naturally, 'cause it's 2nd order). It should be a LOT smoother above 2kHz. The breakup on the AUDAX woofer in the 7k-9k range is pushed down about an additional 20dB (-18 to -24dB).

Comment

Thank you Chris! Like this?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

Again, Chris, thank you. I'll start a project thread and keep you posted once construction begins.

Comment

Working...
                      X