This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PE Flat Pack Improper Packing - Damaged On Delivery

Just a concern about improper packing from PE's shipping department...

Their customer service is top-notch and shipping speed is excellent. However, the shipping department leaves much to be desired regarding careful packing. So far, most of my shipments have arrived intact despite the fact that some internal boxes are sometimes dented. Recently, I ordered five MDF flat-packs and the corners of two kits were damaged due to zero padding between the cardboard shipping box and the outer MDF sheets of the flat packs. Of course, PE sent me two replacements immediately gratis. THANK YOU, PE. BUT... the two replacements were shipped in one large box and again had zero padding between the cardboard box and the MDF sheets... so one of the replacement kits was damaged. I decided not to ask for yet another replacement. This defies even very basic common sense.

What gives, PE? Why such a lackadaisical approach to shipping? Just a little bit more care would save us all time and money. Again, your customer service is spectacular. But the shipping... not so much.
    "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
    ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Re: PE Flat Pack Improper Packing - Damaged On Delivery

Erich H could give them some instruction.

Comment

Someone should. Most anyone could suggest modest/logical improvements.
      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

I have never ordered a flat pack so I can't speak directly about the issue you had. However in my experience everything that I have ordered from PE has been extremely well packed! To the point where the box was so large that my wife said "I thought you were only getting a couple of small things"? The pair of RS150P's I just received came in a box that was about 12" cubed. There were two seriously dented in corners but PE used so much packing paper that the driver boxes were unscathed.

Hopefully they will get the message and seriously improve their flat pack packaging.
        Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
          I have never ordered a flat pack so I can't speak directly about the issue you had. However in my experience everything that I have ordered from PE has been extremely well packed! To the point where the box was so large that my wife said "I thought you were only getting a couple of small things"? The pair of RS150P's I just received came in a box that was about 12" cubed. Their were two seriously dented in corners but PE used so much packing paper that the driver boxes were unscathed.

Hopefully they will get the message and seriously improve their flat pack packaging.
          I've had several large boxes arrive with zero padding between the inner boxes and the outer one resulting in dented inner boxes but thus far no items were damaged. But the inner boxes were "relatively" lightweight. With ultra-heavy MDF packs, if dropped on a corner, that corner is going to be broken. Out of the total of six boxes of flat packs shipped to me only three had any padding on BOTH sides. ALL had at least "some" padding on one side. The damage, in every case, was on the side with no padding.

My guess is this happens a lot. Perhaps a little more COM between CS and shipping??
          ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Perhaps this is a concern you should aim directly at PE instead of in the forum? While they do browse here, your response would be much faster and more productive with a private conversation ..
            I am trolling you.

Comment

on the flip side, I ordered two of the 15" ultimax knock down kits and both of my flat packs arrived packaged very well. essentially double-boxed with dense packing squares and edge protection. I actually took a picture of that, as I planned to do a small write up on them for my site at some point.

ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

My friend just ordered a pair of Ultimax 12 flat packs and they arrived very similar to yours Erin. We did have one corner that was a little banged up, but nothing a little clamp and glue couldnt fix.
                https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by ErinH View Post
                  on the flip side, I ordered two of the 15" ultimax knock down kits and both of my flat packs arrived packaged very well. essentially double-boxed with dense packing squares and edge protection. I actually took a picture of that, as I planned to do a small write up on them for my site at some point.
                  I package up those subwoofer flat packs. The corner protectors are the same thing people use to protect full sized pallets and the foam chunks really cushion them from damage.

My friend and I did some experimenting to lower the chance of damage during shipping. I packaged up one of the 65lb 4cuft boxes with the pallet corner protectors and foam chunks, then we literally threw the entire package as far as we could at least 4 times. Then I dropped it from 4' up directly on the corner. After a couple times on the corners the cardboard box finally split wide open, but still no damage to the flat pack. That was good enough for me. They would have to be abused quite a bit to get messed up.

I don't wrap up the other flat packs to be 'ship ready', only the subwoofer boxes. I think Parts Express packages the other ones a certain way prior to shipping and hopefully most arrive okay for the customer.

Comment

I got 2 of the 0.25ft^3 flats, and I understand what Tin-ears is saying, but mine were unscathed. There is nothing between the large flat side/bottom and the cardboard wrapping the boards.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Erich H View Post
                      I package up those subwoofer flat packs. The corner protectors are the same thing people use to protect full sized pallets and the foam chunks really cushion them from damage.

My friend and I did some experimenting to lower the chance of damage during shipping. I packaged up one of the 65lb 4cuft boxes with the pallet corner protectors and foam chunks, then we literally threw the entire package as far as we could at least 4 times. Then I dropped it from 4' up directly on the corner. After a couple times on the corners the cardboard box finally split wide open, but still no damage to the flat pack. That was good enough for me. They would have to be abused quite a bit to get messed up.

I don't wrap up the other flat packs to be 'ship ready', only the subwoofer boxes. I think Parts Express packages the other ones a certain way prior to shipping and hopefully most arrive okay for the customer.

Told ya.

Comment

Originally posted by MSaturn View Post
                        Perhaps this is a concern you should aim directly at PE instead of in the forum? While they do browse here, your response would be much faster and more productive with a private conversation ..
                        I did that telephonically and a CS agent, a very pleasant person, said he'd pass it along and that PE takes customer suggestions very seriously. Still, I'm fairly sure this is a recurring issue.

ERICH: THIS is the kit I bought. Of the three which were damage, each time it was the largest outer piece and those were packed with no padding between the MDF and the outer box.
                        ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

My TriTrix flat packs came single boxed (that had incurred some damage) but inside were completely enclosed in sheets of styrofoam. The packs themselves were perfectly fine.

Simple, easy, and effective (so why not always go this route?)

My only issue with those specific packs is not shipping related, but is to why they would cut the front baffle to fit in between the sides, instead of the full width of the front? Mine were nearly broken in two at the bottom woofer cutout (maybe shipping damage) because of how little material is left there.

Comment

I'd think an inch-thick piece of just about any padding would be "adequate" in most cases. Of the ones that arrived here undamaged they only had one layer of large bubble wrap. Even just that was apparently enough to avoid damage. I'd personally like to see an inch of styrofoam on all the outermost sides then a layer of large bubble wrap all the way 'round the MDF. Cheap paper can fill the voids. That's the way I'd ship them anyway. Alternately, they could be shipped with the foam-over-plastic-sheet method.
                            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
                              ERICH: THIS is the kit I bought. Of the three which were damage, each time it was the largest outer piece and those were packed with no padding between the MDF and the outer box.
                              I only package the subwoofers to be 'ship ready'. The small speaker boxes are just wrapped with a piece of cardboard and a poly strap to hold the panels in place. I'm not sure how Parts Express packages those up afterwards for shipping. I thought they were probably putting them in smaller boxes, and then packaging the whole order in one large box. If not, I can understand how they could get damaged. I'll contact them and see if something can be changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X