Class D Amplifiers--Is It Just Me or What?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SirNickity
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Dec 2012

Re: Class D Amplifiers--Is It Just Me or What?

You left out
    or everyone agrees to disagree.

The linked article covers (one of) the reasons FOR high input impedance as well:

The solution to this problem is to dispense with the idea of matched impedances completely, and use what is called voltage matching instead. The idea here is to engineer the equipment to have the lowest possible output impedance and a relatively high input impedance — the difference between them must be at least a factor of ten, and is often much more. Modern equipment typically employs output impedances of around 150(omega) or below, with input impedances of at least 10k(omega) or above. With the minuscule output impedance and relatively high input impedance, (the cable impedance can be disregarded completely in comparison) the full output voltage should be developed across the input impedance.

Relatively high-impedance inputs such as these are called bridging inputs, and they have the advantage that several devices can be connected in parallel without decreasing the impedance to any significant degree — the voltage developed across each input remains high and the source does not need to supply a high current. (A low impedance is often referred to as 'loading' the output or circuit, because of the high current it demands.) Let's have another look at our earlier example, where a console output is feeding two tape machines. Say each machine now has an input impedance of 30k(omega); connecting two in parallel will only reduce the combined input impedance to 15k(omega), which is still substantially higher than the 150(omega) output impedance of the console. Hence, the input voltage will be virtually unaffected — I calculate a loss of 0.04dB, in fact! Even connecting a third device to the output, the impedance would only fall to 10k(omega) — the level would fall by a further 0.05dB, which I don't think anyone would hear! Because bridging inputs make studio work so much easier, the idea of voltage matching is now employed almost universally in line-level audio equipment, irrespective of the actual reference signal levels used.

Comment

• craigk
      Seasoned Veteran
      • May 2012

this is one of the better post we have had in a long time.
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

• Wolf
        Obsessed & Proud of It
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Paul K.
        You are so wrong, unless the 4 years I spent getting a BSEE were wasted, too, back in 1963. It's very, very simple. Low output impedance, high input impedance for maximum voltage transfer, which is what this is all about. You can substitute resistance for impedance and it's still true.
        Paul
        Ohm's law there for the swap, indeed. Yep- Linear Circuitry taught me the same thing too, but I understand it better now since I got into this hobby quite awhile ago.

I like ya, Mikey, but you do have it wrong this time.
        Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• arlis_1957@yahoo.com
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by PWR RYD
          Arlis,

It actually it has to do with both the input impedance of the power amp and the output impedance of the preamp. Generally speaking, the input impedance of the load (power amp) should be at least 10-20 times higher than the output impedance of the source (preamp).

From the owners manual your 250W x 2 amp has an input impedance of ~15 kohms. The preamp design I am working on has an output impedance of ~800 ohms. 15,000/800 = 18.75:1 ratio. Is that good enough? Possibly. Maybe others here can help you decide if you should build the tube preamp project or not based on their personal experience.
          This seems to be a good fit as you suggested a while back. Thanks for helping me understand.
          " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
          Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
          http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Working...