Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

    I would much rather go into May vs March personally.
    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

      Looks like I'm out for both dates and March.
      John H

      Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

        I would throw my support for a May date, rather than March, FWIW.
        Dan N.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

          I'm with Dan on the May dates.
          Paul

          Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
          I would throw my support for a May date, rather than March, FWIW.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

            Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
            I'm with Dan on the May dates.
            Paul
            So- getting a consensus that May is best, and Angie said there are none for March open.

            So- I'll peg May 16/17 then! Dates confirmed!!
            I'll set them up,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

            *InDIYana event website*

            Photobucket pages:
            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

            My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

              Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              I don't know if it'll be blind this year, we'll see.

              Wolf
              Or not see,couldnt resist but I'll keep my day job.
              I think if a competition involves the designers to adhere to the same set
              of parameters then blind should be mandatory. I have attended 3 events, two
              were Iron Driver and one DIY/NY with several categories. In the case of Iron Driver
              I felt the blind aspect definetly leveled the playing field to just the sound and really
              added to the intrique of which one was playing. Also no one was able to identify
              thier own design. At the other event where there were different catgories it did not
              seem to matter being able to see them, people judged on SQ as the priority.
              Last edited by Squidspeak; 01-09-2014, 02:16 PM. Reason: Litebulb moment

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

                Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                So- getting a consensus that May is best, and Angie said there are none for March open.

                So- I'll peg May 16/17 then! Dates confirmed!!
                I'll set them up,
                Wolf
                That should work for me.
                Jeff
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

                  Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                  That should work for me.
                  Jeff
                  Glad to hear it!
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                  *InDIYana event website*

                  Photobucket pages:
                  https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

                  My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

                    Originally posted by Squidspeak View Post
                    Or not see,couldnt resist but I'll keep my day job.
                    I think if a competition involves the designers to adhere to the same set
                    of parameters then blind should be mandatory. I have attended 3 events, two
                    were Iron Driver and one DIY/NY with several categories. In the case of Iron Driver
                    I felt the blind aspect definetly leveled the playing field to just the sound and really
                    added to the intrique of which one was playing. Also no one was able to identify
                    thier own design. At the other event where there were different catgories it did not
                    seem to matter being able to see them, people judged on SQ as the priority.
                    We did that as you say last year, but it doesn't always have to be that way. SQ is always
                    the priority, but looks do matter in the end.

                    InDIYana 2008 had a 'show of hands' vote, just as last year went, and was a head-to-head challenge setup.
                    Last year was a Blind competition with stated parameters and limits, and I think it was well received. Fallout seemed to be minimal really without much post-buzz after the fact.

                    So- I just don't feel the stress of the setup is worthwhile for this year, and I'm going to take it a bit easier. Am I not allowed to make the event less stressful to run? This is something that the attendees may not grasp entirely if/until they host one for themselves, but these are indeed a LOT of work and time to make successful. It was a lot more work for the blind setup last year, and I just don't think I want to do that again this year.

                    Later,
                    Wolf
                    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                    *InDIYana event website*

                    Photobucket pages:
                    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

                    My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

                      Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      This is something that the attendees may not grasp entirely if/until they host one for themselves, but these are indeed a LOT of work and time to make successful. It was a lot more work for the blind setup last year, and I just don't think I want to do that again this year.
                      And my back thanks yee! OOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :D
                      https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

                        Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                        We did that as you say last year, but it doesn't always have to be that way. SQ is always
                        the priority, but looks do matter in the end.

                        InDIYana 2008 had a 'show of hands' vote, just as last year went, and was a head-to-head challenge setup.
                        Last year was a Blind competition with stated parameters and limits, and I think it was well received. Fallout seemed to be minimal really without much post-buzz after the fact.

                        So- I just don't feel the stress of the setup is worthwhile for this year, and I'm going to take it a bit easier. Am I not allowed to make the event less stressful to run? This is something that the attendees may not grasp entirely if/until they host one for themselves, but these are indeed a LOT of work and time to make successful. It was a lot more work for the blind setup last year, and I just don't think I want to do that again this year.

                        Later,
                        Wolf
                        Ben,
                        Do things so they are fun, for you and everyone else. Don't push it, or wear yourself out. Everyone will be happy either way.
                        Jeff
                        Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

                          Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                          Ben,
                          Do things so they are fun, for you and everyone else. Don't push it, or wear yourself out. Everyone will be happy either way.
                          Jeff
                          Agreed! Do your thing, Ben. I'm sure it is more than enough work putting on a 2 day event as it is.
                          Dan N.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

                            Again, I'm with Dan (and others) on this. This is your event and you can run it any darned way you choose!:p
                            Paul

                            Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                            Agreed! Do your thing, Ben. I'm sure it is more than enough work putting on a 2 day event as it is.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

                              Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                              So- getting a consensus that May is best, and Angie said there are none for March open.

                              So- I'll peg May 16/17 then! Dates confirmed!!
                              I'll set them up,
                              Wolf
                              God willing, I'll be at this one!! Thanks Ben. I know from MI it would be difficult for me to help out, but if there's anything I can do to relieve some of your work load in this, let me know.

                              Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                              You can bring a project that does not fit in the theme criteria, and still get your speaker demoed, but it just won't be in the challenge sector.f
                              I will (probably) bring 2 different pairs of basically the same speakers. Its the new design I've drug out way too long that I've been working w/ Meniscus on. One pair will have cabinets I built, and the other will use Dayton's prebuilt cabinets. I'm working on an MTM as well as an MT version using the HiVi L6-4R drivers (pretty sure at this point that isn't news to anyone :o).

                              Looking forward to seeing everyone again!!

                              Just out of curiosity (not to thread rob either), but while we're talking about spring plans... AXPONA this year?? Who plans on attending that??
                              "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                              "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....SCHEDULING ISSUE

                                Well- 16/17 WAS open, someone reserved it out Wed night.

                                We have the last 2 weekends in May open now.

                                Which one you guys want? I'd like to do the 30/31 since my anniversary is the 24th.
                                Is that okay with the masses?

                                Later,
                                Wolf
                                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

                                *InDIYana event website*

                                Photobucket pages:
                                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

                                My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X