• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjd
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Sep 2005

Re: InDIYana 2014 Prelim Thread....

Originally posted by isaeagle4031
    Yikes! The room at indiyana is boomy as is. Two 18s would be insane! But fun
    I could always bring all four...
    diVine Audio

Comment

• Wolf
      Obsessed & Proud of It
      • Sep 2005

Again- I really don't know how that could shake out. It really depends on how many regular pairs we have coming, and how many are in-theme builds.

Again- we'll have to see. I know we'll have enough power, but aside from that....

What would be the criteria or music selections? Please do not say Cosmic Hippo....
      Later,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• Sir Roundsound
        Been Around Awhile
        • Apr 2012

Testing subwoofers in a place inhabited by other people could be a problem. As you know, bass is not stopped by walls, and will carry for quite some distance.

Here is an account of what happened at MAF2003 in Lima, Ohio, when I demoed My LABhorn with a DJ Bassman CD. They came running into the room, and shut me down after about 20 seconds, because it was shaking everything so much.
        Scroll down to The Chicago Horn Club.

I gave the Labhorn to my nephew, but he would probably let me borrow it for the weekend to do a repeat performance in Ft Wayne.... (just kidding)

BTW, what's wrong with Cosmic Hippo? Telarc 1812 would be good, too.

Comment

• isaeagle4031
          Seasoned Veteran
          • Jun 2008

If I bring a sub it will be part of a 2.1 setup I've been working on Ben. And even then would only do it if time allowed.
          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

• tron
            Been Around Awhile
            • Oct 2005

OK. This may not be the thread to post such a question but others may have kinda the same thing on their mind. I have read a little on series XO's. Mostly what I have read says you have to be careful of driver selection......Robust tweeter...smooth woofer ect. I have never designed a system using a series XO. I have an unusual design using the ND105 and the ND20. My current XO is 12db with a RES and CAP in parallel with the coil of each. My current design looks good and sounds good. (my opinion!) I like the challenge of the unusual shaped loudspeaker but I am just not certain I should try a series XO this with these drivers! I could bring them anyway because they are weird....trust me, but what would be the fun in that!

May is too far for me to plan because of my job but I would very much love to attend if possible. I would also like to bring something for you guys to critic.

ToddT
            Real amplifiers GLOW in the DARK!
            Nothing kicks A$$ like Glowing Glass!

Comment

• cjd
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Wolf
              Please do not say Cosmic Hippo....
              Haha. But everyone knows it, which is why it's good. Plus it has banjo! :P

I have better tracks, but they're not something most folks are familiar with which makes them more likely to disengage.

That said, I agree - finding good test tracks would be key, and that could be tough.

C
              diVine Audio

Comment

• Jeff B.
                Obsessed & Proud of It
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by tron
                OK. This may not be the thread to post such a question but others may have kinda the same thing on their mind. I have read a little on series XO's. Mostly what I have read says you have to be careful of driver selection......Robust tweeter...smooth woofer ect. I have never designed a system using a series XO. I have an unusual design using the ND105 and the ND20. My current XO is 12db with a RES and CAP in parallel with the coil of each. My current design looks good and sounds good. (my opinion!) I like the challenge of the unusual shaped loudspeaker but I am just not certain I should try a series XO this with these drivers! I could bring them anyway because they are weird....trust me, but what would be the fun in that!

May is too far for me to plan because of my job but I would very much love to attend if possible. I would also like to bring something for you guys to critic.

ToddT
                Keep in mind, the series crossover thing is just Ben's little side-thing, like the "black box" contest last year. It's not the main-thing. There will be all kinds of speakers in the open listening portion of the gathering. People are welcome to come and bring whatever speakers they want to play for the gang. The series crossover thing is an extra. Whether someone joins into it, or just brings a nice set of Continuums ;), we'll all have a great time.

Jeff
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

• Wolf
                  Obsessed & Proud of It
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Jeff B.
                  Keep in mind, the series crossover thing is just Ben's little side-thing, like the "black box" contest last year. It's not the main-thing. There will be all kinds of speakers in the open listening portion of the gathering. People are welcome to come and bring whatever speakers they want to play for the gang. The series crossover thing is an extra. Whether someone joins into it, or just brings a nice set of Continuums ;), we'll all have a great time.

Jeff
                  Bingo.

As to the SXO or 'abnormal PXO' alignments requested....

I've never been one to say that you can't use an SXO with difficult drivers (ie- metal). The people that say that are targeting 1st order types for simplicity sake, and also say you cannot use notches in this type of xover. It's absolutely false. Use whatever driver you want, and whatever the layout, I'm sure you will be able to get a reasonably good sound from them.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

• tron
                    Been Around Awhile
                    • Oct 2005

Tnx guys. I will see what I can do. I may try a series XO for the fun of it. I am hoping to make it this year.
                    Real amplifiers GLOW in the DARK!
                    Nothing kicks A$$ like Glowing Glass!

Comment

• nrg74
                      • Aug 2011

Is anybody representing SEOS? It may be interesting, especially in blind tests.

Comment

• Wolf
                        Obsessed & Proud of It
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by nrg74
                        Is anybody representing SEOS? It may be interesting, especially in blind tests.
                        We're not setting up blind testing this year.
                        Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

• PEB
                          Midrange Member
                          • Jun 2008

Wolf,
                          I wonder if you can approach the hotel about the back doors to the conference room. The closers don't work too well, and the blinds suffer abuse because of this. Going in and out of the doors is pretty much a 2-person task. Plus I always feel obligated to try to keep the noise down as much as possible.

It would also be better if we could unlock those doors during the event. Trying to keep them just blocked open was quite a hassle.

It is nice to use those rear doors, so that we can bring in stuff from our cars.

Thanks.
                          --

Philip Bamberg
                          BambergAudio.com

Comment

• mattsk8
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sir Roundsound
                            Testing subwoofers in a place inhabited by other people could be a problem. As you know, bass is not stopped by walls, and will carry for quite some distance.
                            Hadn't considered that. Would be really cool to hear some of the subs you guys have built, but I didn't think about the bass resonating in a hotel.

I haven't heard much from home audio as far as subs go. All I've heard are my Klipsch, and whatever the mainstream audio manufacturing world has to offer. Always wanted to hear Jinjuku's build using the Infinity sub... http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...nce-1260w.html
                            "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
                            "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

• Wolf
                              Obsessed & Proud of It
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by PEB
                              Wolf,
                              I wonder if you can approach the hotel about the back doors to the conference room. The closers don't work too well, and the blinds suffer abuse because of this. Going in and out of the doors is pretty much a 2-person task. Plus I always feel obligated to try to keep the noise down as much as possible.

It would also be better if we could unlock those doors during the event. Trying to keep them just blocked open was quite a hassle.

It is nice to use those rear doors, so that we can bring in stuff from our cars.

Thanks.
                              I don't believe there is anything that can be done about that. We just have to deal with it.
                              Later,
                              Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

• Wolf
                                Obsessed & Proud of It
                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by mattsk8
                                Hadn't considered that. Would be really cool to hear some of the subs you guys have built, but I didn't think about the bass resonating in a hotel.

I haven't heard much from home audio as far as subs go. All I've heard are my Klipsch, and whatever the mainstream audio manufacturing world has to offer. Always wanted to hear Jinjuku's build using the Infinity sub... http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...nce-1260w.html
                                The more I think about it, the more problematic it seems this kind of run could be. Sure we could hear a few subs, but blasting them will be a no-go. Say we run a small pair, and then with a sub the same music set, and that is likely all we will be able to do. We can't do a labhorn or 40 Hz bass-horn like dlsbobby at Dayton DIY, as I fear our usage of the facility may be compromised.

Later,
                                Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Working...