Received my W6520R-4 drivers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received my W6520R-4 drivers!

Mr. UPS just rang the door bell. These are the mid bass drivers Jeff B. used in his design seminar a few weeks ago. I would like to measure their T/S parameters, but they just came off the UPS truck and I swear they are -2 degrees F.

Visual inspection indicates extremely good construction and no shipping damage because they were well packaged. I'll follow up with some before and after break in T/S parameters. If the T/S parameters measure close to what was presented in the seminar thread I have a some what different box alignment in mind.

Edit: here are the measurements all taken on my 4' x 4' baffle:

First up, far field frequency response. Mic 20" from tip of dust cap. Gating 5 ms. 1/24th smoothing.

Second, distortion measurents. Same 20" mic distance, volume adjusted:

Here is the off axis measurements. Still at 20", same gating and smoothing. 0, 15, 30, and 45 deg:

Next up is frequency response near field (~0.25") volume adjusted:

Finally, here is the near field distortion measurement:

These were all taken in the last hour. Kid's playing and banging upstairs, furnace kicking on and off. Still I think they are valid measurement.
    Last edited by PWR RYD; 01-18-2014, 05:41 PM.
    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Re: Received my W6520R-4 drivers!

I have a pair on the way, as well. Debating a tweeter at the moment.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Were can a person buy them? Any pictures of the drivers you all may want to share?

Comment

Based on what I heard in Kokomo I don't think you will be disappointed!
        Craig

Comment

For what it is worth, I posted a MLTL enclosure design a few days ago in the "Decere" thread at:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=Griffin

The enclosure is in message #67 and the design is discussed earlier in this thread.

Jim

Comment

And, I described a slightly smaller-volume, but otherwise identical version of Jim's ML-TL design with the line folded once so it could be used in a stand-mount or "bookshelf" cabinet.
            Paul

Originally posted by Jim Griffin View Post
            For what it is worth, I posted a MLTL enclosure design a few days ago in the "Decere" thread at:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=Griffin

The enclosure is in message #67 and the design is discussed earlier in this thread.

Jim

Comment

I just got four and measured them before being broken in. Have any of you measured yours yet?

W6520R-4

T/S Param #1 #2 #3 #4
              Re 3.859 3.7393 3.7619 3.8405
              Fs 39.03 39.03 38.36 39.03
              Qts 0.44 0.439 0.422 0.428
              Qes 0.506 0.498 0.484 0.49
              Qms 3.407 3.719 3.333 3.391
              Le 0.939 0.882 0.894 0.951
              SPL 84.26 84.33 85.4 85.27
              Vas 0.5179 0.5179 0.6784 0.633
              Vb (Qtc = 0.64) 0.44 0.43 0.49 0.48
              Last edited by johngalt47; 01-13-2014, 09:56 PM. Reason: Add T/S Params

Comment

I did a quick measurement of my two, no break in, and I haven't measure Vas yet. From memory mine measured very close to yours with Fs right at 39-40Hz and Qts right around 0.43. My WT3 also reported the Le right around 0.9 mH but I don't believe that number at all. Looking at the impedance plot the rise due to inductance was one of the lowest I've ever seen. I remember Jeff saying how low his measure Le was as well.
                Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                  Mr. UPS just rang the door bell. These are the mid bass drivers Jeff B. used in his design seminar a few weeks ago. I would like to measure their T/S parameters, but they just came off the UPS truck and I swear they are -2 degrees F.

Visual inspection indicates extremely good construction and no shipping damage because they were well packaged. I'll follow up with some before and after break in T/S parameters. If the T/S parameters measure close to what was presented in the seminar thread I have a some what different box alignment in mind.
                  Could you post a link to the product, or pictures please?
                  "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Craig, I just checked the files we got from Jeff and he is showing a .16 for Le. What is your DATS set at for the sweep? 1k or 10K? I should have mine hopefully within the week. Then to find tweets to go with them...
                    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

This is all I could find for a link.
                      http://meniscusaudio.com/kokomo-p-1406.html
                      Not much there yet, but soon from the way it sounds.

Comment

Did all attendees get a pair or just special people?
                        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

All attendees received the option of a prebuy
                          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                            all of us that attended are special people, just some are more special than others.
                            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              Yeah, I thought it was a classy move too. :rolleyes:

With the price of it, it has some stiff competition...... I am sure it will live up to the hype. So will many other drivers at ~$60-$70 for a 6.5". If it ever becomes available...Prelims do not look good if they were advertising a Le of .19 and it's around .9 Typos and such happen though.... Inefficient too. Class D watts come cheap though.

Before I get booed off stage by the usual few: The upside is it does appear to be a well-built alternative to what is out there. We'll see. Unless someone can shed some light on why this is the next driver to beat ? Anyone? Bueler?

The one speaker playing through the youtube video did sound exceptional...I must say :P.....

Comment

Working...
                              X