Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Received my W6520R-4 drivers!

Mine are at the house of Roman ;)

EDIT: Full test results forthcoming, but they won't be published here. I might link back to the Meniscus forum if anyone's interested.
    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Yes interested.

Comment

Anybody know the top plate thickness?

Comment

Top plate appears about 6mm, Pete.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I think I read someone in the thread posted a Qms of 5. That high Qms indicates non-metalic voice former. Metalic voice formers allow some eddy current flowing on them, even though the slot on the former reduces them significantly. These currents work as breaking the voice coil motion, hence they cause lower Qms.

An example: SS 18W/8545 has 2.3 Qms, 18W/8545K has 5.2 Qms. The latter has kapton former, rest is same.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
              Remember, since this was the seminar woofer, frd and zma files, not to mention box modeling and PCD simulations were all in that package I had set up for download. If you downloaded it then some of those files may be beneficial to you.
              Jeff,
              They are, but if I remember correctly your measurements were taken in the seminar box. I just thought there might be some interest/value in posting FF, NF, off axis, and distortion measurements on a large 4' x 4' baffle so others could model their own baffle effects.
              Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                Jeff,
                They are, but if I remember correctly your measurements were taken in the seminar box. I just thought there might be some interest/value in posting FF, NF, off axis, and distortion measurements on a large 4' x 4' baffle so others could model their own baffle effects.
                OK, that's cool. Go for it. (But don't forget to follow "Jeff's Tips on Acoustic Measurements";))
                Last edited by Jeff B.; 01-16-2014, 09:39 PM. Reason: corrected my nonsense
                Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

OK, that's cool. Go for it. (But don't for to follow "Jeff's Tips on Acoustic Measurements";))
                  Huh?
                  Craig

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                    Huh?
                    I went back and edited the post so it would actually make some sense. Sorry about that, leave out a few letters and everything turns to nonsense fast :o

I was just referring to the paper from the seminar on acoustic measurements, that's all.
                    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I went back and edited the post so it would actually make some sense. Sorry about that, leave out a few letters and everything turns to nonsense fast :o

I was just referring to the paper from the seminar on acoustic measurements, that's all.
                      I thought you were speaking Mongo speak :D

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                        Top plate appears about 6mm, Pete.
                        Thanks Johnny!

Then assuming they used the standard method for calculating Xmax we need
                        6 mm overhang on each end so that is a total VC height of 18 mm most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by feyz View Post
                          I think I read someone in the thread posted a Qms of 5. That high Qms indicates non-metalic voice former. Metalic voice formers allow some eddy current flowing on them, even though the slot on the former reduces them significantly. These currents work as breaking the voice coil motion, hence they cause lower Qms.

An example: SS 18W/8545 has 2.3 Qms, 18W/8545K has 5.2 Qms. The latter has kapton former, rest is same.
                          I agree, not an absolute indicator but not looking good for a metalic former. At least it is 1.5"
                          and fairly long, unlike a short XBL coil.

Comment

I just updated my first post on this thread. It shows my frequency response and distortion measurements of this driver. I only posted driver A, but driver B measured exactly the same. Hope this data helps.
                            Craig

Comment

I'm surprised no one has commented on their distortion performance.
                              Craig

Comment

Distortion dose look very good.
                                " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                                Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                                http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Working...
                                X