Received my W6520R-4 drivers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Received my W6520R-4 drivers!

That FR looks identical to the Aurum Cantus AC130/50CK.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AurumCantus-AC130-50CK-FR.gif
Views:	1
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	1155236
    Chris

Goofing around since 2000.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
      I'm surprised no one has commented on their distortion performance.
      To be expected out of a $70 driver... No comment needed!

Comment

I'm surprised no one has commented on their distortion performance.
        Double post

Comment

I haven't commented on distortion because, for one I find OmniMic distortion graph presentation not easy visually on the eye. SE's distortion measurements on Zaph's site are easier to compare. I am not sure what exactly it is, the choice of colors or something else.

Secondly it is not very easy nor very valid to comment without another one as base to compare taken under similar conditions.

That all said, it is very nice to see that 3rd and higher products don't show any tendency of increasing with frequency. This is showing that motor design was good wrt inductance modulation with current. It indicates good midrange production, less intermodulation distortion with both low and mid-high frequencies playing together.

Years back such drivers were only available with Scan-Speaks, and expensive. (Maybe some Dynaudio and some other). Closest was some of the Peerless offerings, but they only had the shorting ring on the base of the pole piece which helps with low frequency but not as much at mid and mid-high. Then Seas started with the Excel series with somewhat similar design to Scan's. Some Peerless drivers started putting copper caps in addition to rings. Later came the Usher's with very good motors. Recent years it is getting more main stream, becoming more and more available from different brands for lower price, which is good.

The technology is rather old (shorting rings, copper caps etc), going back 1970's as far as I know, as with everything else in speakers.

Comment

Can you post an impedance plot also, to complete the information?

Comment

Originally posted by feyz View Post
              Can you post an impedance plot also, to complete the information?
              Feyz,

Here are the impedance and T/S measurements I made of the pair I used for the seminar. It is a pdf file that anyone can download.
              https://app.box.com/s/30kyr7dxjgxh6ru3wk1s

Yes, it's interesting how things have developed - Scanspeak became famous with their early SD-1 motor, but as I understand they worked from a JBL patent for their "Symmetrical Field Geometry" motor that they made in the early 70's.

Jeff
              Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

I'd like to compare this driver to the Anarchy 6.5. When can I get one for testing?
                "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
                  I'd like to compare this driver to the Anarchy 6.5. When can I get one for testing?
                  You need to contact Meniscus. They should have some.

However, this seems like an odd comparison. It's not really designed to be like the Anarchy woofer, it's more a widerange midbass.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                    ...However, this seems like an odd comparison. It's not really designed to be like the Anarchy woofer, it's more a widerange midbass.
                    Do you mean it's not a good choice for use in a 2-way system? It's got a low enough FS, perhaps I've missed it, but I haven't seen X-max yet? So I suppose the point of my comparison would be to see if it can even come close in terms of bass output while also giving me a little more extended high end? If it's really only suitable as a midrange, then I have to wonder why the top isn't a bit smoother...

When you say "designed" do you mean the designer's intention, or how it actually functions? I tend to ignore what the purpose of things is "supposed" to be and rather, use things as makes sense from my own, perhaps strange, perspective...
                    "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

• Re: Received my W6520R-4 drivers!

Originally posted by critofur View Post
                      Do you mean it's not a good choice for use in a 2-way system? It's got a low enough FS, perhaps I've missed it, but I haven't seen X-max yet? So I suppose the point of my comparison would be to see if it can even come close in terms of bass output while also giving me a little more extended high end? If it's really only suitable as a midrange, then I have to wonder why the top isn't a bit smoother...

When you say "designed" do you mean the designer's intention, or how it actually functions? I tend to ignore what the purpose of things is "supposed" to be and rather, use things as makes sense from my own, perhaps strange, perspective...
                      The Eclipse driver sounds fantastic in a two-way - ask anyone who was at the seminar. I believe it has an Xmax of 6mm. It has less low bass output than the Anarchy, which I consider more of a woofer than a midbass. The Eclipse has higher actual sensitivity and in my opinion better midrange potential, but it won't move as much air at 30Hz, that's for sure. If it were me, building a two-way for myself, I would take the Eclipse hands down, at least right now I would. I guess I need to design with the Anarchy to be sure, and I could easily compare head to head if needed. I would compare the Eclipse more with and Usher or Scanspeak midbass.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                        The Eclipse driver sounds fantastic in a two-way - ask anyone who was at the seminar. I believe it has an Xmax of 6mm. It has less low bass output than the Anarchy, which I consider more of a woofer than a midbass. The Eclipse has higher actual sensitivity and in my opinion better midrange potential, but it won't move as much air at 30Hz, that's for sure. If it were me, building a two-way for myself, I would take the Eclipse hands down, at least right now I would. I guess I need to design with the Anarchy to be sure, and I could easily compare head to head if needed. I would compare the Eclipse more with and Usher or Scanspeak midbass.
                        But don't Usher and Scanspeak midbass drivers cost much more than this $70 driver??? ;)
                        Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

But don't Usher and Scanspeak midbass drivers cost much more than this $70 driver??? ;)
                          That's what makes this such a nice value.

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                            Mine are at the house of Roman ;)

EDIT: Full test results forthcoming, but they won't be published here. I might link back to the Meniscus forum if anyone's interested.

Roman sent some screen shots from his initial testing of my drivers. There will be more on this Meniscus thread eventually. JR kicked things off --- http://www.diyspeakerforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=379
                            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Not all of em'.... there are other, too. I feel like I am in that movie "Better off Dead" (I know ironic title....) "TWO DOLLARS..." :D

They seem like a very good driver overall and I am anxious to see some designs with them. Not my cup o' tea methinks, but there will be some great designs with it for sure and most importantly it is great to see an american player in the game.

Comment

Any progress on this build?

Comment

Working...
                                X