High Efficiency Micro Bookshelf Project Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Efficiency Micro Bookshelf Project Idea

In pursuit of excellence and a fine listening experience I wanted to put forth the following idea for a project.

Design Goal:
    Create a high efficiency micro bookshelf speaker to be used with a lower power amp such as a Lapai 2020 or tube amp that would be capable for SPL in the 90+ range with exceptional detail and clarity as well as low distortion.

I found some mid-woofers that might fit the bill and was considering various tweeters such as pro gear bullet and or super tweeters.

FaitalPRO 4FE35 4" Professional Full-Range Woofer 8 Ohm
    Dayton Audio PA130-8 5" Full Range PA Driver
    Celestion TF0510 5" Professional Midrange Speaker 30W
    Galaxy Audio S5N-8 5" Neodymium Full Range Driver 8 Ohm

I am not sure how suitable these drivers would be but they all are 90 or higher in sensitivity.

I think a project like this would have some merit but since I have never designed a speaker before I thought I would throw this idea out and see what the true speaker design guru's thought.

Your input/help is greatly appreciated!

Kevin
    Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
    OS MTM's
    Digger 8 sub
    Overnight Sensations Center Channel
    Sprite Build
    Wolf's PC Speakers
    Minions III with Voxel Sub

Re: High Efficiency Micro Bookshelf Project Idea

Subbed.
    Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

You will not get much bass from such a design, physics and stuff.

Comment

Single speaker, coaxial and 2.1 designs always intrigue me.
        https://www.facebook.com/lowecustomguitar

www.lowecustomguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
          You will not get much bass from such a design, physics and stuff.

I have been playing with WINISD with the FaitalPRO 4FE35 4" Professional Full-Range Woofer and it comes out with a .8 liter vented box tuned to 47.22 Hz. So that would be pretty awesome on a desk in your face. Now if someone could help me with a tweeter and crossover we would be in good shape.

Kevin
          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
          OS MTM's
          Digger 8 sub
          Sprite Build
          Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Efficiency, size, and extension are inherently at odds with each other. I don't want to stop you from experimenting, but you should have reasonable expectations. Give it a shot though, there's no harm in trying, and you'll almost certainly learn something from the attempt.

Comment

Crap pic and zero bass below 100 Hz but they are certainly tiny and get plenty loud. Dayton 5" PA full range and GRS Piezo, cap, resistor, done. Cabs are pretty heavily stuffed and are built with 1/2" MDF, no bracing. With a Topping 25 WPC amp we managed to get to pretty uncomfortable volume levels easily. Overall dimensions are 9"H x 6"W x 5-1/2"D. Probably about 5-6 lbs each.

They won't win any prizes for SQ but they sound surprisingly good and will rock for a tiny garage stereo. I plan on building a compact PA sub with dual Dayton PA 8's and an SA70 to match.
              Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by mattp View Post

Crap pic and zero bass below 100 Hz but they are certainly tiny and get plenty loud. Dayton 5" PA full range and GRS Piezo, cap, resistor, done. cabs are pretty heavily stuffed and are built with 1/2" MDF, no bracing. With a Topping 25 WPC amp we managed to get to pretty uncomfortable volume levels easily. Overall dimensions are 9"H x 6"W x 5-1/2"D. Probably about 5-6 lbs each.

They won't win any prizes for SQ but they sound surprisingly good and will rock for a tiny garage stereo. I plan on building a compact PA sub with dual Dayton PA 8's and an SA70 to match.
                MAtt, could you shoot me the cap and resistor you have on them? Thanks!
                Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

What are your other constraints for the budget and size? Like 90 db at 1w/1m in 4 liters to 50hz under $150 pair, passive?
                  John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

Originally posted by kevin007 View Post
                    I have been playing with WINISD with the FaitalPRO 4FE35 4" Professional Full-Range Woofer and it comes out with a .8 liter vented box tuned to 47.22 Hz. So that would be pretty awesome on a desk in your face. Now if someone could help me with a tweeter and crossover we would be in good shape.

Kevin
                    Your definition of micro and my definition of mico differ quite a bit......

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
                      Your definition of micro and my definition of mico differ quite a bit......
                      What's your idea of micro? .03 cu ft is pretty small....
                      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                        matt, could you shoot me the cap and resistor you have on them? Thanks!
                        yhpm
                        Your results may vary.

Comment

I wasn't really considering budget. I on a personal note am rather thrifty. But what I want is SQ and something that will fit on a desk and not take a lot of space. And I want to be able to turn them up when needed and sound bi*chin.

Kevin
                          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                          OS MTM's
                          Digger 8 sub
                          Sprite Build
                          Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                            What's your idea of micro? .03 cu ft is pretty small....
                            I think that has got to be a typo. I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be cubic ft, since 0.8 L is half the size of my Choti.
                            -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                              I think that has got to be a typo. I'm pretty sure that is supposed to be cubic ft, since .08 L is half the size of my Choti.
                              Ya the FaitalPRO 4FE35 after working winisd comes in at .8L. Seems pretty small to me...

Kevin
                              Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                              OS MTM's
                              Digger 8 sub
                              Sprite Build
                              Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Working...
                              X