ND28F-6 instead of ND16FA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND28F-6 instead of ND16FA

I'm considering building a small TM based off of Navy Guy's Choti design. I have a pair of Dayton ND28F-6, and was curious if they could be used as a drop-in replacement for the ND16FA without needing to tweak the crossover. Both are 6ohm, and the sensitivity is within .6db.

I know the ND16FA is only <$10, but I would like to use what I have as much as possible.

thanks!

Re: ND28F-6 instead of ND16FA

There are two problems with switching the drivers that will cause problems. First, the frequency and impedance a different enough to some cause issues. Second, and probably more of an issue in this case, the ND28F-6 is a much bigger tweeter and will change the center-to-center spacing of the drivers by almost an inch. This will introduce phase shifts that might cause big peaks or dips in the response. How much these two issues will change the response, I couldn't say without modeling or measuring.

If you have the extra lumber and time, you can always try it and see what you think with the ND28 before buying the ND16.
    -Kerry

Comment

Off-axis will also suffer quite a bit.

Comment

"quite a bit"... bummer. I had a feeling it wouldn't be that simple. This time of year I definitely spend more time dreaming than building. Although it might reach a balmy 50 degrees, plenty warm enough to start something.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfaske View Post
          "quite a bit"... bummer. I had a feeling it wouldn't be that simple. This time of year I definitely spend more time dreaming than building. Although it might reach a balmy 50 degrees, plenty warm enough to start something.
          Yes, one of th ebiggest advantages to the ND 16 aside from low distortion and great response for a cheepie tweeter is the fact that it's only a 5/8" dome so you get HUGE dispersion from it. I think the thing is god to like 18K where a 1" tweeter can roll off as early as 12K depending on whatthe MFG defines as "1"".

Comment

I still mourn that the Aura NT1 is NLA. It was the metal dome ("Don't touch the Dome!") equivalent of the ND16. Cheap, low distortion and great dispersion.
            The elephant in the room is the room

Comment

Originally posted by ernperkins View Post
              I still mourn that the Aura NT1 is NLA. It was the metal dome ("Don't touch the Dome!") equivalent of the ND16. Cheap, low distortion and great dispersion.
              Nope- you mean the ND20FB-4 was the equivalent to the NT1. The ND16 is not the same chassis.
              Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Ah, I did not know about this dispersion advantage with the 5/8" dome! Does this dispersion characteristic apply to all smaller domes? If so, then how do the 3/4" domes compare with the 5/8" domes? I do happen to have a pair of untouched ND20TA in a box that I don't know what to do with as well.
                Last edited by mattfaske; 01-10-2014, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X