Beyond Overnight sensation??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beyond Overnight sensation??

I finally got to hear a pair of these after months of trying to find someone with a pair. They did sound great for the size and price for sure!!

I am not left wondering what could be made for a bit more money or with maybe a notch or so better drivers even.

I am about to embark on a DIY speaker project, and am not looking for a huge speaker, but maybe something around the size of the "Overnight" but perhaps even a bit better.

I have read dozens of DIY projects, but armed with finally hearing the overnight, am not sure I will do it, or want to go a bit better. Don't get me wrong, they were great, but I do not want to wish for more in a year or so...!!

Any recommend's for a speaker build that would best the "Overnight", but still only be a bit more expensive??

I looked over the ZA5 and the "Swope TM" and also the "piccolota" designs, but am confused as to whether all 3 of these are similar, sideways designs or truly better than the Overnight.

Any ideas???

Re: Beyond Overnight sensation??

I think the Speedsters are right up your alley. Amazing sound, small footprint, great drivers, relatively simple construction.

Comment

Originally posted by CUclimber View Post
      I think the Speedsters are right up your alley. Amazing sound, small footprint, great drivers, relatively simple construction.
      Cool idea, I have seen them mentioned also, and had forgotten about them. Have you actaully heard them in comparsion to the "Overnight"? I am not looking for tons of bass or huge output levels, but want nuanced, clean and detailed sound.

In other words "high end" speakers with limited bass. I will be using a sub to compliment anything I do finally build, so deep bass is not an issue.

More looking for the "best" sound, in regards to clear, clean and smooth.

Comment

I just built a pair for a Christmas present. Here are some pictures of the process: http://imgur.com/a/vPhvG

The sound is rather incredible, and although I haven't heard the OSs I would think these would be a big step up in quality. If crisp, clean, and accurate is what you're after I don't think you'll be disappointed with them.

Comment

Originally posted by CUclimber View Post
          I just built a pair for a Christmas present. Here are some pictures of the process: http://imgur.com/a/vPhvG

The sound is rather incredible, and although I haven't heard the OSs I would think these would be a big step up in quality. If crisp, clean, and accurate is what you're after I don't think you'll be disappointed with them.

Those look fantastic!!
          I do not have a table saw either, so will need to take a lot of time with the circular saw and a guide bar.

It is a bit tough to judge how something will sound without hearing it though. But with the looks of those drivers and measurements I have seen from them, it for sure should be close to what I am looking for.

Comment

Having heard the Speedsters, I can say +1!!!!
            Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
              Having heard the Speedsters, I can say +1!!!!
              But have you heard the overnight sensations? Is it fair to compare if you have not heard them both? I only ask because I am also wondering is there something better now for same or slightly more money? I will not be using a sub with them.

Comment

Originally posted by sailormanbigd View Post
                But have you heard the overnight sensations? Is it fair to compare if you have not heard them both? I only ask because I am also wondering is there something better now for same or slightly more money? I will not be using a sub with them.
                Yes.

Speedsters, IMHO.

Comment

FWIW, I had a chance to listen to the Speedster and Piccolata designs side by side and we (me and friends) thought the Piccolata sounded a bit better and more balanced overall.
                  In my opinion the Speedsters look better and are smaller but I would still build the Piccolata.

We also liked the NE19 tweeter A LOT. More 'tsst tsst' than 'tsht tsht', if you know what I mean :-)

We all agreed that both designs are excellent though.

Some people on this board have built both, maybe they will give their opinion too.

Comment

Originally posted by Audiotorium View Post
                    FWIW, I had a chance to listen to the Speedster and Piccolata designs side by side and we (me and friends) thought the Piccolata sounded a bit better and more balanced overall.
                    In my opinion the Speedsters look better and are smaller but I would still build the Piccolata.

We also liked the NE19 tweeter A LOT. More 'tsst tsst' than 'tsht tsht', if you know what I mean :-)

We all agreed that both designs are excellent though.

Some people on this board have built both, maybe they will give their opinion too.
                    Good to know. I've not heard the Piccolata.

Comment

I have heard both. The Overnight Sensations are a very nice speaker considering their low cost.

The Speedsters are a big step up sound quality wise but do maintain Paul's signature voicing (a good thing).

I have never had the chance to hear the Piccolata. I would like to some day.

There are a few other designs out there based on Paul's OS and Speedsters:

Mike Jennens has a design that is similar to the Speedsters (same woofer) except he used one of the RS28 tweeters (don't know if it was the A or F) in place of the ribbon. I heard them in Iowa and they sounded really nice. Sorry I can't remember what he called them.

Ed Perkins designed a set of speakers I believe he named "The Overnight Sopranos". Same enclosure and HiVi mid bass driver but he stepped up to a much nicer sounding Vifa tweeter if I remember correctly. I also hear them in Iowa. They were a very nice surprise!

Hopefully those guys will post more details for you.
                      Last edited by PWR RYD; 01-13-2014, 03:51 PM. Reason: fix wrong spelling of Mike's last name
                      Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                        There are a few other designs out there based on Paul's OS and Speedsters:

Mike Jennings has a design that is similar to the Speedsters (same woofer) except he used one of the RS28 tweeters (don't know if it was the A or F) in place of the ribbon. I heard them in Iowa and they sounded really nice. Sorry I can't remember what he called them.
                        That would be me. I called them the MISTs (MIke's Speedster Takeoffs) I used the RS28A. I have never A-B'ed them with any other speakers, but I certainly like the way they sound. I have a pair of OS's too. Again, I haven't A-B'ed them with my MISTs. I'll try to get to that and let you know my impressions. Keep in mind, my hearing is far less than ideal, so you can take my impressions for what they're worth.
                        Mike
                        "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                        Bismarck, North Dakota
                        My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
                        My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
                          That would be me. I called them the MISTs (MIke's Speedster Takeoffs) I used the RS28A. I have never A-B'ed them with any other speakers, but I certainly like the way they sound. I have a pair of OS's too. Again, I haven't A-B'ed them with my MISTs. I'll try to get to that and let you know my impressions. Keep in mind, my hearing is far less than ideal, so you can take my impressions for what they're worth.
                          Mike
                          Hi Mike,

Do you have a link to your build? I looked under MIST but didn't see it.

Thanks.

Beau

Comment

By the way, Google does a much better job than this site's search engine.

I Google'd this 'mikejennens mist parts-express.com'.

And got this.

Comment

I can heartily recommend a pair of Modula MTs (I used the tdfc variant), or look up the Bagby RS180 MTM is you need more SPL

Comment

Working...
                              X