define: sounds bigger than actual size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• define: sounds bigger than actual size

What does it mean sounds bigger than actual size? Just more bass? Is all sound output colored deeper as well? Specifically related to the Overnight Sensations MT design. I want more bass capabilities than the hivi3" build I did, and slightly more volume capabilities before distortion occurs, but not at the cost of other sound quality. Thankks

Re: define: sounds bigger than actual size

Sounds Bigger than actual size is probably more of a reference to a virtual image that loudspeaker creates. You are asking about capabilities of a loudspeaker at the bottom octave.
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sailormanbigd View Post
      What does it mean sounds bigger than actual size? Just more bass? Is all sound output colored deeper as well? Specifically related to the Overnight Sensations MT design. I want more bass capabilities than the hivi3" build I did, and slightly more volume capabilities before distortion occurs, but not at the cost of other sound quality. Thankks
      usually it means bass. if you look at a typical refrigerator sized 3way speaker then you see a BIG wooofer, a 4-5" midrange, and a 1" tweeter. The midrange and tweeter part can go into a tiny little box. So ... from about 150Hz up ... size doesn't matter.

Comment

The OS once did sound "bigger" in terms of bass response for a speaker of similar size however there are many in both commercially available offerings and DIY which now do as well.

Usually, as touched upon "bigger" can have two dimensions: One is precieved bass responce, the other is spatial imaging.

Small monitors, for me, typically do not sound "bigger" even if they have great bass such as the OS, Mew Horizons, Nano Neo's, Lithium, Speedsters, and on and on. The biggest thing you gain as you go physically larger in a loudspeaker is midbass, and midrange presence due to extra surface area/dedicated midranges, lower distortion at reasonable listening levels, and better macro/micro dynamics range.

Comment

so sounding bigger is a good thing then? I just want the next build to do it for me. I only have $100 to spend on drivers and x/o parts, so I am limited. I just don't want to build a similar product to the commercial imix "too deep" sound. It is something like putting the speakers in a barrel or something that makes all the sound deeper and almost eliminates the highs. Or listening to a live event from the bathroom, you can hear the bass and vocals and drums but loose all the detail?

Comment

so sounding bigger is a good thing then? I just want the next build to do it for me. I only have $100 to spend on drivers and x/o parts, so I am limited. I just don't want to build a similar product to the commercial imix "too deep" sound. It is something like putting the speakers in a barrel or something that makes all the sound deeper and almost eliminates the highs. Or listening to a live event from the bathroom, you can hear the bass and vocals and drums but loose all the detail?
            m2c

all the stuff you mention is important but separate issues. If you ask a speaker to do too many things at once - like play a big bass drum and sing soprano at the same time - then it can get a muddled together. If you have a limited budget then you have to choose your own balance. Do you want more things kind of muddy or do you want fewer things more clearly?

It is worth noting, that you can often add more things later.

big box sound usually means having a big woofer going deep. But deep notes will mess up the sound of your soprano so you need a separate midrange - etc. etc. But that costs money. Woofers tend to be the most expensive. So when people starting shaving dollars then woofer size is often the first thing. Hence, the "sounds bigger" phrase ends up looking like a speaker that sounds more than it costs.

Comment

so the proverbial problem...I want it all for little money! I am not looking for the "shake your windows bass" Just clean and full. The sealed 3" hivi gives me all I need in that the definition is quite clear, vocals and bass play good together and bass is punchy and vocals are very clear, but it cannot play heavy loaded bass content at the same (moderately loud) volume as the cleaner recordings. If I turn the volume about half way down (from the clean loud setting) then the reproduction is almost great (some of the bass drum thumps tend to distort). So I just want the next setup to be able to handle the deeper bass and bass drum trcks at the moderately loud vol settings as the cleaner stuff. Too much to ask? Will the OS MT or MTM suffice? Will the 2020A+ be alright with the MTM?

Comment

so the proverbial problem...I want it all for little money! I am not looking for the "shake your windows bass" Just clean and full. The sealed 3" hivi gives me all I need in that the definition is quite clear, vocals and bass play good together and bass is punchy and vocals are very clear, but it cannot play heavy loaded bass content at the same (moderately loud) volume as the cleaner recordings. If I turn the volume about half way down (from the clean loud setting) then the reproduction is almost great (some of the bass drum thumps tend to distort). So I just want the next setup to be able to handle the deeper bass and bass drum trcks at the moderately loud vol settings as the cleaner stuff. Too much to ask? Will the OS MT or MTM suffice? Will the 2020A+ be alright with the MTM?
                why not just add a big woofer into your existing hivi system? you can even find ones with a built in ampafier for under $100.

Comment

When I have used the term "sounds bigger than it is" I spoke of an abstract dimension. The best way to explain it would be: You have your eyes closed. Someone plays music through a set of speakers. You listen and develop a picture in your mind of what you think the speakers look like. When you open your eyes, you are surprised to see a set of OS's or Speedsters because the picture in your mind was a speaker much larger.

As far as your budget, I can't think of anything under $100. However, and I hate to do this, if you could find a way to add another $20, you could get a kit for the Overnight Sensations.

http://www.parts-express.com/overnig...-pair--300-706

or from Meniscus for $130

http://meniscusaudio.com/overnight-s...ir-p-1243.html

So there's my 2 cents.

Others may know of a good speaker build for less than $100. I can't imagine there's not one out there.

Mike
                  "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                  Bismarck, North Dakota
                  My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
                  My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

Coincidentally, a while back I built some OSs. I had them sitting atop a pair of Dayton 8s in my office at work. Conrad, a mechanic from next door came in to listen. He thought the sound was coming from the Dayton 8s. I guess that's what sounding big means.

Comment

It's a 3" woofer. Asking it to play bass at a level above headphones is like trying to take a go-kart on the highway.

There ARE exceptions to this. The Aura NS3/Dayton ND90 can pump out serious bass, however it still needs at least a 4 Liter enclosure to do this.
                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

It sounded like he was happy with the mid and high of his existing speakers. If he put in a blocking cap - say 250uF - then it would play louder while sounding even less strained. PE and Ebay both always have decent enough subs for cheap.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-...oofer--300-627

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PSW10-CHERRY...item5af9b3be8a

the one from polksurplus store even includes free shipping

just seems like a better, cheaper, easier way than building whole new speakers.

Comment

The easiest way to explain it (that works for me anyways) is if you're watching tv through your mains, and then you turn them off and watch tv through your tv's speakers it'll sound much smaller. Even if you have the tv speakers turned up louder, they sound smaller. They simply have much less presence and don't fill the room as well. I don't personally find it having much to do with bass.

Comment

"sounds like a big speaker" is not about having more bass, it is about more everything. If you have never listened to a big pair of speakers, and that does not meant a 3 way with a 12 inch woofer, I am talking a 5 or 6 foot tall speaker with at least 4 drivers or more. you just need to hear a big speaker really understand, they create a "wall" of sound. speakers like the top end Wilsons, Avalons, Ebens, Hansens, etc, and this also includes the plannars . stats, etc.
                            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                              "sounds like a big speaker" is not about having more bass, it is about more everything. If you have never listened to a big pair of speakers, and that does not meant a 3 way with a 12 inch woofer, I am talking a 5 or 6 foot tall speaker with at least 4 drivers or more. you just need to hear a big speaker really understand, they create a "wall" of sound. speakers like the top end Wilsons, Avalons, Ebens, Hansens, etc, and this also includes the plannars . stats, etc.
                              I agree with this statement. Line arrays for example create this "wall of sound" The "Big" sound has to do more with the ability of the loudspeaker to create similar virtual sound source localization to a portrayed on the recording event. Smaller, point source loudspeakers do not posses this ability.
                              http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X