X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiniDSP: NanoAVR

Check out this new product...

http://www.minidsp.com/aboutus/news

The above link will go out of date soon, so see...

http://www.minidsp.com/images/docume...ef-nanoAVR.pdf

It does not appear available yet.

Hey PE, when are you guys going to offer competition to their products, especially the crossovers?

John

Re: MiniDSP: NanoAVR

Don't get the idea that this is a new 8-channel DSP crossover in and of itself (there are no audio outputs). This looks like their MiniShark product with the addition of HDMI connectivity. That's it! You only have HDMI in and HDMI out. That would be OK if you have another component that will take HDMI and break out the audio streams from it. They give the example of a surround-sound receiver.

The product is not released yet - the date is supposed to be "early Q1 2014". It's not shown on their web site and no price it set as far as I can tell.

I am a 2-ch audio kind of guy, so I will just stick with their other gear.
    Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

Seems like a very limited-purpose product to me. It might be useful for some to turn an AVR into a dedicated amp for active speakers with only one D/A conversion, or provide parametric EQ for a system with one or two HDMI based sources and an inexpensive AVR.
      --
      "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Seems like a way to make up for crappy on-board EQ / time alignment settings on an AVR. But, since I haven't yet seen an AVR with an HDMI EQ loop, it would have to be put between source and AVR... which means it only applies to a single source component. Hm...

Now what I'd really love to see is an HDMI to multiple I2S toolbox, particularly one that accepts compressed audio streams and outputs multichannel PCM. THAT would be handy. (But still only for a limited market.)

Comment

Well, all computers can now output audio over HDMI.

So I'm wondering if it can take stereo audio from the computer, then split it into say - 6 output channels, apply crossovers, curves, etc. Then output to a standard 7.1 reciever, and voila, the user has a cheap way of going 3-way active without buying 3 separate stereo amps.

Comment

From what I read it appears to be a 2 HDMI in (so two sources) and 1 HDMI out. The HMDI out carries up to 8 independent channels which can be set up as desired and feed to a 7.1 received. Since 7.1 receivers typically have 7 power amp channels it would seem that you could do a stereo 3-way speaker and a single unpowered sub configuration using the 7 amp channels. That is, the nanoAVR does have crossover capability.
            John k.... Music and Design NaO dsp Dipole Loudspeakers.

Comment

That seems like one useful possible application for this product.

However the way they depict it on their brochure connecting to a full set of surround speakers and a sub for an HT setup seems a little less useful. I mean when you can get an Audyssey equipped Denon from accessories for less for $200 why would you want to bother with the nano. Obviously it may be appealing to create your own DSP settings to account for room interactions, but in my experience Audyssey does a pretty admirable job for an automated system. It does much better than the auto eq devices in some of the entry level pro DSP products like dbX driverack PA etc.

Originally posted by johnk... View Post
              From what I read it appears to be a 2 HDMI in (so two sources) and 1 HDMI out. The HMDI out carries up to 8 independent channels which can be set up as desired and feed to a 7.1 received. Since 7.1 receivers typically have 7 power amp channels it would seem that you could do a stereo 3-way speaker and a single unpowered sub configuration using the 7 amp channels. That is, the nanoAVR does have crossover capability.
              Loren Jones

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-sound-drivers

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...for-live-sound

Comment

Originally posted by lorenmjones View Post
                That seems like one useful possible application for this product.

However the way they depict it on their brochure connecting to a full set of surround speakers and a sub for an HT setup seems a little less useful. I mean when you can get an Audyssey equipped Denon from accessories for less for $200 why would you want to bother with the nano. Obviously it may be appealing to create your own DSP settings to account for room interactions, but in my experience Audyssey does a pretty admirable job for an automated system. It does much better than the auto eq devices in some of the entry level pro DSP products like dbX driverack PA etc.
                Agreed. Ad much as I like miniDSP for active crossovers this product seems a bit misdirected.
                John k.... Music and Design NaO dsp Dipole Loudspeakers.

Comment

If this had analog audio out so I could skip the receiver and plug straight in to my tv and amplifiers, I'd be set.
                  "I just use off the shelf textbook filters designed for a resistor of 8 ohms with
                  exactly a Fc 3K for both drivers, anybody can do it." -Xmax

Comment

Working...
                  X