Cool speaker frame design!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool speaker frame design!

I was looking through the local craiglist and came across someone selling Utah Celesta speakers. Don't know anything about them but the design is interesting. I want one just for the looks.Click image for larger version

Name:	Utah_Celesta_C12PC-3_Woofer_collage.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	597.5 KB
ID:	1187502

Re: Cool speaker frame design!

40 years old?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
      40 years old?
      Not sure exactly how old they are (definitely old though). I doubt they sound good but the frame is neat.

Comment

The hardcore fullrange folks tend to really dig those drivers....pay a lot of money for them too. I have never heard one personally, but have heard good things about them.

Comment

I cant seem to make sense of how they are mounted. The basket is flush with the edge of the frame on the front.

Comment

Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
            I cant seem to make sense of how they are mounted. The basket is flush with the edge of the frame on the front.
            You have to rear mount them so the front of the drivers frame seals the driver to the baffle. Hopefully they get used in an open baffle so the rear of the driver can be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post
              Hopefully they get used in an open baffle so the rear of the driver can be seen.
              Yeah, that thing is amazing looking. Honestly, it's the coolest driver frame I've ever seen, and to hide it in a cabinet would be a crying shame.
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
              Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

As I recall those came towards the end of Utah's existence, and were an effort to try to take some market share away from EV, Altec and JBL. Since they had to be rear mounted you'd have only seen them in an open back cabinet, and then only if you looked in back.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

The Cabasse 4-way driver is rather nice looking as well. The cutaway view is even more impressive.

Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                    I was looking through the local craiglist and came across someone selling Utah Celesta speakers. Don't know anything about them but the design is interesting. I want one just for the looks.[ATTACH=CONFIG]44270[/ATTACH]
                    I actually had a set of those in my old driver stash. Never used. When I happened to go through this old stash maybe a year ago, I only found one. Not quite sure what happened to the second one. It may be in my attic somewhere. I seem to recall a different surround though. I believe mine had a white cloth accordian type of suspension. I may be wrong however since it has been years since I actually looked at the driver closely.
                    “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

I've seen those somewhere before. They sure are pretty. Look at that cone profile too!
                      I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisn View Post
                        You have to rear mount them so the front of the drivers frame seals the driver to the baffle. Hopefully they get used in an open baffle so the rear of the driver can be seen.
                        Oh, duh. How did I not figure that out?

Must have put too much thought into it.

Comment

I believe the Utah driver build-house is what became Pyle, and I mean vintage Huntington Pyle stuff.
                          Still- that is a neat driver to look at!
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                            I believe the Utah driver build-house is what became Pyle, and I mean vintage Huntington Pyle stuff.
                            Could be, the time frame is right.
                            www.billfitzmaurice.com
                            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Mind the gap.

Comment

Working...
                              X