No announcement yet.

2.1 setup without using PC speakers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2.1 setup without using PC speakers...

Sounds like a plan. I also have been looking into this amp: http://www.daredtube.com/bluetooth.htm At the moment it is a little too rich for my blood but I would love to have a hybrid tube amp, especially one with such great reviews.

Hopefully someone can glean some knowledge from this and get some righteous gear!

Kevin
    Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
    OS MTM's
    Digger 8 sub
    Overnight Sensations Center Channel
    Sprite Build
    Wolf's PC Speakers
    Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Originally posted by neildavis View Post
      I've got a nice working design for a 2.1 amp that is tested and could go into production...if someone wanted to make that happen. It uses the STA328 amp, which ST rates at 2x40W + 1x80W when run at 32V. With a more common 24V supply the undistorted output would be 18/18/36, which is still adequate for PC speakers. The STA328 has embedded digital biquads to implement the crossovers and tone controls, and there is digital volume control and programmable limiters (smart clipping). I've posted this picture quite a few times, but haven't piqued anyone's interest to the point of helping out to get this produced.
      Yeah, there is only so many hours in a day or dollars in the bank account. The enclosure alone was $10k in tooling. After market research, I found I could sell 50 a year. Price: $980 and still Made in China.

Comment

Gawd, Gerber! I wrote some software for Gerber about 25 years ago. BFTP

Comment

Originally posted by kevin007 View Post
          Just one more thing to add:

I was reading a write up on this 2.1 amp. The person stated that he thought it was one of the best sounding amps he had heard. I looked up the TPA3116 and it is supposed to be top notch.

I found a 24 volt PS that should work with it. So it maybe be a good find, but I have not heard one yet.

Just food for thought...

Kevin
          Kevin,

I'll guess that amp was sort of a media darling over at DIY Audio?

I've been looking at the same one.

Beau
          Sausage With Meat Sause, Please

Comment

Originally posted by audioengr View Post
            Yeah, there is only so many hours in a day or dollars in the bank account. The enclosure alone was $10k in tooling. After market research, I found I could sell 50 a year. Price: $980 and still Made in China.
            Right...You can make the boards fairly cheap and the parts on this particular board aren't too expensive, but assembling the boards is where there would have to be a significant investment. I can solder these things myself, but it takes a long time, and the amount of beer I need to do this tedious work would cost more than what I could make :o.

But who knows...maybe someone here has the right connections and can get boards made cheaply and sell some of these at a profit. I've got the software to control the biquads and design crossovers using driver measurement data. However, I just can't solve that productionizing problem, so this project has stagnated for several years.
            Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
              Gawd, Gerber! I wrote some software for Gerber about 25 years ago. BFTP
              Gerber is still the standard in PCB litho. Now it's 274X.

Comment

Originally posted by neildavis View Post
                Right...You can make the boards fairly cheap and the parts on this particular board aren't too expensive, but assembling the boards is where there would have to be a significant investment. I can solder these things myself, but it takes a long time, and the amount of beer I need to do this tedious work would cost more than what I could make :o.

But who knows...maybe someone here has the right connections and can get boards made cheaply and sell some of these at a profit. I've got the software to control the biquads and design crossovers using driver measurement data. However, I just can't solve that productionizing problem, so this project has stagnated for several years.
                Boards are cheap. Parts are cheap. Assembly (China) is cheap. It's getting all those together in 500 piece shipments four times a year with warehousing, order placement, shipping, warranty and service...well, that's the kicker. Anyone with $60k, a building and some free time is welcome to try. I have no doubt they'd actually sell...but in quantity? Can you (not you, you) take the risk? I can't.

Comment

I saw that 2.1 50+50+100 on eBay last month and it looked interesting and could easily incorporated into an all-in-one system.

...after going thru all the ideas and sugestions, think I have made a decision.
                  after i added up all the this and that it became a parent the obvious choice would be the Outlaw RR2150 stereo reciever. Thanks to user Generic for the link!
                  Its not exactly small like I was going for but you can't beat the price with all the features and especially the bass management system built in. More companies should be doing this.
                  ~Indispus~

"It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required." - W.C.

Comment

...but man, I sure do love the new small amps from Teac (AI-501DA & A-H01) and the NAD D7050...
                    man I love em. thats what i was wanting. what if I made a passive speaker level High-Pass ? how would that impact the crossovers within the mains? would it sound like crap?
                    ~Indispus~

"It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required." - W.C.

Comment

I worked for a colorhouse. They'd plot (litho) masks with it back then. When I retired (in '12) we didn't have 1 piece of Kodak film left in the place. I'd guess today a Gerber layout somehow gets laser scanned right onto a PCD substrate, or what?

Comment

after sleeping on it, I yet have changed my mind again... Being a natural DIY kinda guy and a tinkerer at heart I have decided to make my own pre-amp/amp using various miniDSP boards and perhaps one of the Shure/P.E. Class D/T amp boards and anything I can find on ebay. I would get much more enjoyment out of that than simply buying one "off-the-shelf" so to speak.

So now I am heavily researching and gathering info... I'll keep you guys posted!
                        ~Indispus~

Comment

Originally posted by Indispus View Post
                          after sleeping on it, I yet have changed my mind again... Being a natural DIY kinda guy and a tinkerer at heart I have decided to make my own pre-amp/amp using various miniDSP boards and perhaps one of the Shure/P.E. Class D/T amp boards and anything I can find on ebay. I would get much more enjoyment out of that than simply buying one "off-the-shelf" so to speak.

So now I am heavily researching and gathering info... I'll keep you guys posted!
                          I would seriously give thought to classdaudio kits. They are very highly regarded and seem like they would be a good value.

I was reading a write up on another forum where the guy used one of these tube preamps that feed into the class d amp. The result was out of sight sound. There have been many successes with building hybrid tube/class d amps.

Might be worth a look...

Kevin
                          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                          OS MTM's
                          Digger 8 sub
                          Overnight Sensations Center Channel
                          Sprite Build
                          Wolf's PC Speakers
                          Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Originally posted by Indispus View Post
                            ...Being a natural DIY kinda guy and a tinkerer at heart I have decided to make my own pre-amp/amp
                            Then consider making one of these :D. It's got the same DSP circuitry as a miniDSP (ADAU1701 chip) plus 4 high-quality 20W class D amps (SSM3302). This is a working prototype, but the final board will include another amp with more power handling. So this will be either a 4.1 or a nice single-board 2.1 setup, where each "L/R" channel has two amps. The two amps per channel let you build active speakers with the crossover done in the DSP.

Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Neil: Did you hand solder that whole board....If so how did you do those 2 QFN chips at the bottom

Bob
                              NLA

Comment

Originally posted by robertcottiers View Post
                                Neil: Did you hand solder that whole board....
                                Bob
                                Yes. With a fine tip in my 40-year-old Weller iron. I don't like the QFN packages because it is hard to see whether the joint is good. But with lots of flux and clean-up with fine wick you can do it. After I'm done cleaning up my initial mess with the wick, I dab with a flux pen and reheat each joint. A little nerve-wracking but it's really no worse than the leaded .5 mm chips. I use a broad tip at 700 degrees to solder the slug on the bottom of the chip to the vias in the board. Getting a good thermal connection to the ground plane is important because of the heat generated in such a small chip.

Comment

Working...
                                X