Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on this TMWW - Fountek, TB, Dayton....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on this TMWW - Fountek, TB, Dayton....

Hello:

I've been contemplating a higher-end full range speaker lately. The parameters that I've been thinking of are:

-Must have ribbon tweeter
    -Must be full range
    -must be able to produce high SPL (listening room is 18'x20' and 2 stories tall)

What are your thoughts on the following drivers in a TMWW:
    -Fountek NeoX 3.0
    -Tang Band W5-1611SAF
    -2 x Dayton Audio RSS210HO-8 8"

Box size is not an concern, as there is plenty of space in the room. If these drivers wouldn't work well together, what alternatives would you suggest.

Note: I plan to pay for crossover design services, as I do not have the expertise; however, I'd like to select the drivers for the project in advance.

Thanks for your thoughts!

JML

Re: Thoughts on this TMWW - Fountek, TB, Dayton....

Sounds like you should just build the "Statements"
    A mains
    The Ventures
    Open Invit8tions
    RSR
    Sound Troopers
    Acorns
    DGBG's
    The Monuments

Comment

I'd double up on the W5, but that starts cramping the tweeter crossover point options. The root cause here is the not-as-good performance of the HO subs outside subwoofer range.

Where are you planning to get the XO done? That matters too.

C
      diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
        Sounds like you should just build the "Statements"
        Yes, that certainly is the existing design that best fits these objectives. I haven't heard it, but by all accounts it's a fantastic speaker. Honestly, I think I'm tempted to do something different in part, just to do something different, and also if it turns out OK, to contribute another design to the DIY community.

I had been picturing a cab similar to the Aerial 20T with this compliment of drivers.

Best regards,

JML

Comment

Originally posted by jml View Post
          and also if it turns out OK, to contribute another design to the DIY community.
          If you're paying for services, this is unlikely in most (not all) cases.

Too bad you're not looking for a waveguide mounted dome tweeter. :P I've got one of those in the pipeline.

Also have an AMT>Neo8>4xSB17NRXC35-4 somewhere "on the way"
          diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by cjd View Post
            I'd double up on the W5, but that starts cramping the tweeter crossover point options. The root cause here is the not-as-good performance of the HO subs outside subwoofer range.

Where are you planning to get the XO done? That matters too.

C
            CJD

Thanks for the input, yes, I thought about doing a MTMWW, but thought that the distance between the Mids would become an issue.

The subs, would have to be crossed pretty low. I would be open to other options for the bass section, but would want something that can hit pretty low - and run about $100 each.

I was think of going with Meniscus for the design services, as they seem to be well respected, but I would consider any available options. I am very close to Madison, Wisconsin, but my understanding is that Madisound only offers LEAP designs, which isn't going to get the results I want.

JML

Comment

Both of those services are relative compromises in the grand scheme of DIY.

I'm only ~2hrs away from Madison (if you know 6 flags just south of the border, you're practically at my house...) - too far? Otherwise I'd be up to working on something if I'm not building boxes.

If size is not a problem, a pair of sealed RS270 are superb.
              diVine Audio

Comment

CJD:

We're probably pretty close. I am in Pewaukee, WI, so probably about 1 hour away from you. I am capable of building the cabs, but as I mentioned, the x-over work is outside of my technical expertise.

It would be great if you'd be interested in partnering on the project, but I'm happy to just have some guidance on driver selection. Feel free to PM me.

Best regards,

JML

Comment

Yes, that certainly is the existing design that best fits these objectives. I haven't heard it, but by all accounts it's a fantastic speaker. Honestly, I think I'm tempted to do something different in part, just to do something different, and also if it turns out OK, to contribute another design to the DIY community.

JML
                  the Statements are nice speakers, but they are certainly not the end all ,be all speaker of that design type. I think you have the right idea in trying some different drivers. I will agree that trying to cross the 210HO subs to the W5 might not be the best pick, but if not, the 270's will be a great choice.
                  craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

CJD:

We're probably pretty close. I am in Pewaukee, WI, so probably about 1 hour away from you. I am capable of building the cabs, but as I mentioned, the x-over work is outside of my technical expertise.

It would be great if you'd be interested in partnering on the project, but I'm happy to just have some guidance on driver selection. Feel free to PM me.

Best regards,

JML
                    I'd certainly be up for working with you on this project - that's less distance than the Khanspire had to travel to get done.

The question I have right now is how low do you want to go?
                    diVine Audio

Comment

Originally posted by cjd View Post
                      I'd certainly be up for working with you on this project - that's less distance than the Khanspire had to travel to get done.

The question I have right now is how low do you want to go?
                      Good Morning:

It looks like there are 2 votes for the 270s, but the real question is, as CJD points out, how low do you want to go? I believe the answer is lower than a sealed pair of 270s will take me, but I could be wrong.

If this build moves forward, it will be a main speaker in a large two story living room, where it will pull double duty for both music and movies, so it needs to move a fair amount of air. Where compromise is necessary, I would defer towards the music performance than HT, meaning that I'd rather have a very realistic slam of the bass drum that you can feel in your chest than rumble stuff off my walls during special effects.

If I was to put a number on it, I'd say strong performance into the mid-to-low 30s would be desirable, as I'd like to be able to enjoy both music and movies without the need for a subwoofer. I can be flexible on the efficiency of the final speaker, as I'll be feeding it a solid 200+ watts/channel.

Best regards,

JML

Comment

What about 1 x Aurum Cantus AC-250SW? Would these be able to cross higher than the Dayton HOs?
                        Last edited by jml; 02-03-2014, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure how high you are wanting or needing to cross the HOs, but they can play well above "sub" freqs. Wolf used the 4ohm in his Attitudes and crossed them at 800hz. So even 500 is feasible. I gave a pair that I am planning on crossing in the 300-350hz range myself to a rs125-4
                          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

I think the 270's could do a lot better than the mid 30, 's. I think mid 20's would be more like it.
                            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                              I think the 270's could do a lot better than the mid 30, 's. I think mid 20's would be more like it.
                              Craig:

In a sealed or vented box?

JML

Comment

Working...
                              X