New Paper Available - Jeff's Tips On Passive Crossover Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Paper Available - Jeff's Tips On Passive Crossover Design

This is certainly not a definitive manual on crossover design, rather it is a 4 page document where I share some tips that I feel will help lead you in the direction of a faster, more successful passive crossover, along with some of my reasoning on the topic. It assumes that you already know some basics and can work with real measurements and design tools, like PCD, or another good crossover simulator.

You can download it here:
    https://app.box.com/s/3oybwh0qtil8qj9knd2l

Jeff B.
    Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Re: New Paper Available - Jeff's Tips On Passive Crossover Design

Perfect timing! Thanks, Jeff.
    ErinsAudioCorner.com

Comment

Thanks Jeff. It's refreshing to see someone with a lot of knowledge do what you do to make it available to the rest of us.
      Mike
      "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
      Bismarck, North Dakota
      My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
      My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

Thanks Jeff. Excellent points and suggestion summary.

Comment

Thanks Jeff!
          Real amplifiers GLOW in the DARK!
          Nothing kicks A$$ like Glowing Glass!

Comment

Nicely written Jeff, I feel it summarizes a lot of what I've learned from posts here on TT and through trial and error nicely.
            Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
            Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Thank you, Jeff!
              ~99%
              Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
              Make me a poster of an old rodeo
              Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
              To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

Thank you Jeff!

Comment

Awesome. Thanks, Jeff!
                  You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

More homework for us, Jeff?
                    :(

I think I have read more stuff in PDF form after getting deeper into my DIY interest, than the books I had to read in my college years combined. :D
                    I blame people like you!

On the internet there is more stuff, and more technical than when I was in college and found all the audio based magazines they had stashed in the reference inventory that went back to the early 70's. I skimmed through every frickin one.
                    Took me months, but I did it.

I probably should have been reading the assigned curriculum.

Your PDF was a good read. I think my hard drive is full now.
                    If you were nice, maybe you could start a group by on cheap hard drives so we can hold all these PDF's?

I like intro/summarizing stuff like this, as it's a nice read in case you got out of the hobby for a bit, or are a bit rusty. Even better for a new person in this hobby.
                    A knowledgeable person can read it real quick to keep up their knowledge foundation.
                    Keeps the mind in that DIY state. Stay on the right track.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Great info - thanks for sharing

Comment

Jeff,

There is just one item that I want to comment on - the very first one: "Use the tweeter as your design axis".

If you plan to sit with your ears at the height of the tweeter and/or with the tweeters firing directly at your ears, then yes the tweeter axis is the listening axis and this is where you should plan the frequency response.

On the other hand, unless you really toe in your speakers enough to point the tweeters directly at your listening location, you will most likely be listening to the speakers away from the design axis. Why is being on the tweeter axis important? Why not use some other reference location/driver (midrange) or other location on the baffle (midway between drivers)? What is your feeling on that?

I think that this could be modified slightly to read "design your crossover on the listening axis" and clarifying that the listening axis should off to the side at the angle that the listening location makes to the speaker baffle plane. With no toe-in and listening close to the speakers, this can be as much as 20 degrees by which the high frequency response of some of the drivers may be drooping. This can also be somewhat of an issue for measurements. If you measure the driver's response on axis, but the listening position is off axis will you not be misrepresenting the driver's response in the loudspeaker model?

As always I welcome your thoughts, insights, and criticisms on the above based on your experiences with crossover design.

-Charlie
                        Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

I think for the novice it is good to stick with tweeter axis as listening axis as the majority of designs are dome this way. That way it is easier for them get into things until they have a better understanding.

Comment

Just what I think I need.
                            Thanks Jeff

Comment

Great job Jeff! Nice and easy to understand and packed with useful information.

Comment

Working...
                              X