Dayton D8s or Tritrix TL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton D8s or Tritrix TL

Hi guys, haven't posted on here in a while! I haven't built anything for a while since building some Tritrix MTs and an MTM sealed center, plus a big ported RSS315HF sub. But I did a set of Overnight Sensations for a simple record player setup with a Dayton T-amp a few weeks ago, and now I have some motivation to finish my 5.1 system. The Tritrix MTs will be moved to surround duty, which has been the plan all along. I was pretty much set on just getting a Tritrix TL kit (maybe w/o cabs so I could do a tall boy version), but then I came across the older Dayton 8 (D8) design. For a home theater setup, it might be sweet to have more output with some bigger mains, and they still use the Dayton classic series drivers.

Does anybody have any thoughts/comparisons between these designs? Primarily, would the D8's be "voiced" similar to the Tritrix in terms of crossover design to where it would blend well?

Thanks!!

Re: Dayton D8s or Tritrix TL

I ran a set of D8's with a ported tritrix center and thought that they blended together quite well. I haven't heard the TL's so can't comment on that note.

Some times I miss my D8's for their fun factor....
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

I've built MY version of DT's "Dayton 8". I also built a BR-1 clone (before the kit came out) and a larger version (these used the 295-305 and -310 woofers, BEFORE they got the "Classic" name applied to them). With eyes closed, you couldn't hardly tell the diff between the 8" and 6.5" woofers (except the 8s hit an honest 30Hz). Can't speak for the 5.25"ers, but I'd think they'd have a VERY similar sound.

Comment

Thanks guys. I totally forgot about the Dayton 8 design. I may end up building them. But I know it's a somewhat older design, so I wanted to see what people thought. I'll post up a build log of whatever I do.

Comment

Chris Roemer redesigned the crossover: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...rts-list/page3

They are supposed to kick some major booty...

Kevin
          Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
          OS MTM's
          Digger 8 sub
          Overnight Sensations Center Channel
          Sprite Build
          Wolf's PC Speakers
          Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Nice to see you again! I've built a few pairs of the D8 MTM design. I have made my own cabinets and I have used existing OEM enclosures. Its performance was very good compared to the popular and recognized brands. The bass was impressive and even though it uses 8" woofers, the midrange is very superior to similar big-box store brands. So is the imaging. I've used the smaller-size enclosure suggestions that Dave had posted on his site and found them to be very satisfying also. Chris Roemer has come up with a newer and better XO design for the D8, both the TM and the MTM, with less parts. I used Chris' D8 MTM XO to replace the old one in a friends D8 and it was immediately noticeable, for the better. The high-end is improved, the mids are more refined and the excellent bass performance is retained. One guy uses the D8 MTM for the front left/right in his HT set-up, sans sub-woofer. He loves showing off and bragging about how much better they are than the large floor-standing Kenwoods he previously owned. My sister has the D8 TM in her Baby Advent boxes, the ones with the 8" woofers. The cabinet volume was just right for the D8 TM. She had listened to the Advents for a decade and thought they were pretty good...until she heard some DIY designs I had built. She allowed me to re-purpose her Baby Advent cabinets for the D8 TM. All I did was put in some bracing, make a new baffle and glue it on the original baffle. Viola! New and improved. She didn't realize how much better the SQ would be overall, and I loved watching her as we hooked them up for the first time and played her favorite song, "We'll Burn The Sky" from Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes. She has been a DIY speaker proponent ever since. I have Chris' XO diagram for both D8 MTM and TM, so if you'd like it, let me know and I'll post it. Even though it's an older design, Chris' XO really improves the performance compared to the XO Pro version.

john A.
            Last edited by johnastockman; 04-19-2014, 07:51 PM. Reason: original XO info was wrong
            "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
            Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
            Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
            Pioneer TX-9500 II
            Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
            Statement Monitors
            Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
            Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
            Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Yes please post it!

also do you have the cabinet plans for the TM and others?

Kevin

Originally posted by johnastockman View Post
              Nice to see you again! I've built a few pairs of the D8 MTM design. I have made my own cabinets and I have used existing OEM enclosures. While the original XO done by Dave Tenney was derived with XO Pro, its performance was very good compared to the popular and recognized brands. The bass was impressive and even though it uses 8" woofers, the midrange is very superior to similar big-box store brands. So is the imaging. I've used the smaller-size enclosure suggestions that Dave had posted on his site and found them to be very satisfying also. Chris Roemer has come up with a newer and better XO design for the D8, both the TM and the MTM, with less parts. I used Chris' D8 MTM XO to replace the old XO Pro one in a friends D8 and it was immediately noticeable, for the better. The high-end is improved, the mids are more refined and the excellent bass performance is retained. One guy uses the D8 MTM for the front left/right in his HT set-up, sans sub-woofer. He loves showing off and bragging about how much better they are than the large floor-standing Kenwoods he previously owned. My sister has the D8 TM in her Baby Advent boxes, the ones with the 8" woofers. The cabinet volume was just right for the D8 TM. She had listened to the Advents for a decade and thought they were pretty good...until she heard some DIY designs I had built. She allowed me to re-purpose her Baby Advent cabinets for the D8 TM. All I did was put in some bracing, make a new baffle and glue it on the original baffle. Viola! New and improved. She didn't realize how much better the SQ would be overall, and I loved watching her as we hooked them up for the first time and played her favorite song, "We'll Burn The Sky" from Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes. She has been a DIY speaker proponent ever since. I have Chris' XO diagram for both D8 MTM and TM, so if you'd like it, let me know and I'll post it. Even though it's an older design, Chris' XO really improves the performance compared to the XO Pro version.

john A.
              Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
              OS MTM's
              Digger 8 sub
              Sprite Build
              Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Kevin, here's the MTM XO:

And for the TM:

I printed out the write-up Dave Tenney did, and I'm glad I did as his original site is NLA. I'll have to get it out of my "audio/speakers" file cabinet. I'll get that shortly and read through it to find the cabinet dimensions and post the info for you. I'll be able to do that a bit later, but definitely today. If you have any ?'s, Chris or myself can help out.

John A.
                "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                Pioneer TX-9500 II
                Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                Statement Monitors
                Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

I almost made the D8's my first project and did the Classix II's instead. My son Josh wants a pair of the D8's. So these are back on the list as he would go nuts with a pair of those 4.4 cubic foot monsters.

I am glad I waited now as the new and cheaper crossover is now available.

Kevin
                  Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                  OS MTM's
                  Digger 8 sub
                  Sprite Build
                  Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

I love my vented Tritix.

Are there any TallBoy build threads? I did a quick search but didn't find any builds.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the updated xover info! Super simple as well!

It's good you say the midrange is still very favorable. I know I like the midrange in my existing Tritrix, so I didn't want to trade that just to have better low end. Especially since I'll be crossing to a 12" sub @ 80 Hz. But more output is never a bad thing in a home theater application (when I say home theater, it's my basement...not a fully dedicated theater space).

Do you know what the final sensitivity of the D8 w/ updated xover ends up being?

I haven't seen too many tallboy builds of the Tritrix. Probably because the flat pack is so cheap to get from PE with the kit. If I do one, I actually would prefer to just use a standard port near the bottom as opposed to the angled MDF. This is how the Aviatrix MLTL is designed. I would bet Curt already knows off hand what length the port should be and where it should be placed.

Comment

I'd hold off on the sub. If you feel like you really need one, I'd only run it from 40 on down.

This runs about 88dB, with about +3dB of baffle step. I think mine ran about 3.4 cf. I also THINK the tweeter runs reverse polarity (IIRC). It's also best to keep the MTM layout as compact as possible.

Comment

Very cool. The Dayton 8s were my first DIY speaker project. They were my main speakers for about a decade. I may have to give the new crossover a shot.

1: Sony DVP-S7000 | Denon DVD-2900 | Laptop > Parasound Zdac > Denon AVR-5700 > Focal 826V | Def Tech BP2000 | (2) DIY 15" Subs powered by Crown XLS2500
                          2: Computer > Schiit ‹bered Bifrost > Emotiva RCA Control Freak > Crown XLS 1500 > Focal 706V | Def Tech SM450 | Velodyne F-1000B Sub

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                            I'd hold off on the sub. If you feel like you really need one, I'd only run it from 40 on down.
                            Chris, do you know what the final sensitivity would be for the D8 with your new crossover?

Kevin
                            Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                            OS MTM's
                            Digger 8 sub
                            Sprite Build
                            Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Originally posted by doctormorbius View Post
                              Very cool. The Dayton 8s were my first DIY speaker project. They were my main speakers for about a decade. I may have to give the new crossover a shot.

Thats an awesome pic of a awesome man cave. Fender amps and giant D8 MTM's.

Absolutely awesome...

Kevin
                              Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                              OS MTM's
                              Digger 8 sub
                              Sprite Build
                              Wolf's PC Speakers

Comment

Working...