Any Good? -- Dayton Audio MA1240a Multi-Zone 12 Channel Amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Good? -- Dayton Audio MA1240a Multi-Zone 12 Channel Amplifier

Is the Dayton Audio MA1240a Multi-Zone 12 Channel Amplifier any good or are there better alternatives for the same money? One thing I've noticed is that the power supplies of many multichannel amps are marginal if not sub-par for the task the amp is required to perform. How's the sound quality of this amp? Is the PS adequate?

This is for a 7.2 system. Six channels would be used to drive three sets of MTM mains (6" midbass at 4 ohm and 1" tweeters at 6 ohm) using two DCX 24/96 crossovers. The 6" will be high-passed at about 200Hz. Other amp channels will drive full-range surrounds (one channel unused). Front 8" bass drivers and 18" subwoofers will be driven with larger amps. The 8's and 18's will be crossed and tuned with other DCX 24/96 units. This is for both HT and critical listening of music.

Caveats? Suggestions? Cost and space usage are both factors.
    Last edited by Tin_Ears; 02-16-2014, 10:20 AM.
    "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
    ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Re: Any Good? -- Dayton Audio MA1240a Multi-Zone 12 Channel Amplifier

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
    Is the Dayton Audio MA1240a Multi-Zone 12 Channel Amplifier any good or are there better alternatives for the same money? One thing I've noticed is that the power supplies of many multichannel amps are marginal if not sub-par for the task the amp is required to perform. How's the sound quality of this amp? Is the PS adequate?

This is for a 7.2 system. Six channels would be used to drive three sets of MTM mains (6" midbass at 4 ohm and 1" tweeters at 6 ohm) using two DCX 24/96 crossovers. The 6" will be high-passed at about 200Hz. Other amp channels will drive full-range surrounds (one channel unused). Front 8" bass drivers and 18" subwoofers will be driven with larger amps. The 8's and 18's will be crossed and tuned with another DCX 24/96. This is for both HT and critical listening of music.

Caveats? Suggestions? Cost and space usage are both factors.
    The power supply is fine. It uses two large transformers and each channel has its own rectifier and filter caps. The downside, if you can call it that, is that it uses 6 chip amps for the output. According to a review on Amazon, it's the "same" amp as the Audiosource AMP1200. As with every Dayton Audio amp I've ever owned or installed - I'd expect it to last a long time and sound darn good.

Is 40W per channel enough?
    Last edited by audioengr; 02-17-2014, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Re: Any Good? -- Dayton Audio MA1240a Multi-Zone 12 Channel Amplifier

Thank you for the reply.

RE power: I think it'll be enough but I'm not entirely sure. The 6" pairs will receive approximately 60 watts and the tweeters about 50 watts (only about 10-15 watts used) so that's about 75 watts (usable power) per main speaker and those won't see any content below 200Hz. The 8" bass units will be used as stands for the mains and are powered separately. The surrounds will only receive 40 watts though.
      "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
      ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Working...
      X