Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

    How much room do you have for the surrounds. I rearward ported my tritrix mtms and I have to keep them a bit away from the wall. My couch backs up the wall so that causes some placement issues for me. Also if you want to do the MT's you can get a center (mtm) and 2 surround MT's pretty cheap (not sure if your doing a 5.1 or 7.1) just buying another tweeter and a few xover parts. They loose a ton of bass output in the sealed variety but for surrounds it's not a big deal (to me). You purchase 2 kits like the TL's for mains and another kit use one as a ported center and make TWO MT's with the other half of the kit plus another tweeter and a few xover parts.

    Just another option but you can get 5 speakers at a good pricepoint that way.
    My Build Thread's
    Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

      That's a good idea Mike. I think I'll go with MTM everywhere though.

      You make a very good point - my couch is backed up against a wall too, and it spans the whole room with inches to spare so my surrounds don't have many places to go. I guess one option may be to point the surrounds inwards to where I sit and have the port partially facing the side walls. I also remember reading a thread that had a front ported TriTrix with Curt C's blessing. Perhaps that's an option here.

      Edit: My CC is going to be wall mounted under the TV. Is having a port ~2" away from a wall a noticeable problem?
      Last edited by Kristian_AUS; 02-26-2014, 09:38 PM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

        Originally posted by Kristian_AUS View Post

        I also remember reading a thread that had a front ported TriTrix with Paul C's blessing. Perhaps that's an option here.
        curt c...curt c. paul already gets mad love here for his speakers, so does curt, he needs so much love for making these beasts.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

          and on another note... if you do face them inwards, use a couple ms delay on your receiver. in a perfect world front and rear would be the same distance.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

            Originally posted by kanemack View Post
            curt c...curt c. paul already gets mad love here for his speakers, so does curt, he needs so much love for making these beasts.
            Oops. I'm spending too much time jumping between their sites...

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

              This is the living room it's going in. Not quite the best acoustically.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	724.0 KB
ID:	1156945
              Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	644.4 KB
ID:	1156946

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

                Seeing these pictures, I'm going to suggest a little cardboard modeling - make a speaker out of cardboard or corrugated and test your placement plans before you commit $$$.

                Anything near the TV blocks the glass door, even on-wall, while the opposite side looks open to an adjoining room. Where was the CC going? Any chance the TV screen can be centered relative to the listening area? Your surrounds will have to be small, and mounted high to get them out of your ears.

                And let me not forget to mention that walls sound bad. The farther your ears are from room boundaries, the farther your speakers are from room boundaries, the better everything sounds. You just don't have the room here... but you can do a lot better than TV speakers!!!

                HAve fun,
                Frank

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

                  Originally posted by fbov View Post
                  Seeing these pictures, I'm going to suggest a little cardboard modeling - make a speaker out of cardboard or corrugated and test your placement plans before you commit $$$.

                  Anything near the TV blocks the glass door, even on-wall, while the opposite side looks open to an adjoining room. Where was the CC going? Any chance the TV screen can be centered relative to the listening area? Your surrounds will have to be small, and mounted high to get them out of your ears.

                  And let me not forget to mention that walls sound bad. The farther your ears are from room boundaries, the farther your speakers are from room boundaries, the better everything sounds. You just don't have the room here... but you can do a lot better than TV speakers!!!

                  HAve fun,
                  Frank
                  Hi Frank, this room definitely wasn't laid out with HT in mind. The TV would have to hang half of the wall to get it centered. I'm not too concerned about blocking the glass door as I don't really use the balcony. You're right - the living room opens to the kitchen which is about the same size but has 3 complete walls surrounding it... maybe I should move the kitchen into the living room and vice versa...

                  I was planning on putting the center channel on the wall to the right of the fireplace so it's centered in the room, the left main about 2ft away from the glass door, the right main where the black shelf is (the cavity for the CRT will be converted into a cabinet for the receiver so there won't be a 'cave' behind the right main). I was going to pull the sofa forward about a foot and put the surrounds a little higher than the sofa back, toed in towards the center of the sofa and about 1-2ft away from the side walls.

                  I'm not sure I follow you regarding cardboard modelling. Do you mean to try out vented vs. sealed? Or MTM vs. MT for the surrounds? Or to completely rethink my choice of system?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

                    No, nothing so drastic.

                    The idea is to build a life-sized mock-up of your speakers out of cardboard, an empty box the size of the speaker, to see just how much space they'll actually take. 20x6 1/2 may be bigger than you think, once you account for depth. Sealed boxes are only 8 1/4" deep, while all the vented boxes and towers are 14" deep. I lose 2' on one wall of my room to speakers. You don't have an extra 2' to play with. The mock-ups will allow you to modify your plan so it fits, or kill it before you get $$$ invested.

                    Cardboard modeling...

                    HAve fun,
                    Frank

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

                      Originally posted by fbov View Post
                      No, nothing so drastic.

                      The idea is to build a life-sized mock-up of your speakers out of cardboard, an empty box the size of the speaker, to see just how much space they'll actually take. 20x6 1/2 may be bigger than you think, once you account for depth. Sealed boxes are only 8 1/4" deep, while all the vented boxes and towers are 14" deep. I lose 2' on one wall of my room to speakers. You don't have an extra 2' to play with. The mock-ups will allow you to modify your plan so it fits, or kill it before you get $$$ invested.

                      Cardboard modeling...

                      HAve fun,
                      Frank

                      I see. I've had the measuring tape out already, some of the cabinets are bigger, especially in depth than they seem. I guess I'll just have to convince the HOA to move the rear wall of my living room back 6 feet.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

                        Measuring tape is helpful, but you don't get the impact of seeing the 3D appearance. For example, I was considering TriTrix as computer speakers, true desktop application. That 6.5x 8.5" footprint looks like it'll fit anywhere... until I added the 20" height, then no way does it fit! BTW, I did build 25" tall speakers for the computer, mini transmission lines with a 4x4" crossection. Slim towers worked...

                        And wouldn't we all like to move a wall, doorway or window?

                        Have fun,
                        Frank

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

                          Originally posted by fbov View Post
                          Measuring tape is helpful, but you don't get the impact of seeing the 3D appearance. For example, I was considering TriTrix as computer speakers, true desktop application. That 6.5x 8.5" footprint looks like it'll fit anywhere... until I added the 20" height, then no way does it fit! BTW, I did build 25" tall speakers for the computer, mini transmission lines with a 4x4" crossection. Slim towers worked...

                          And wouldn't we all like to move a wall, doorway or window?

                          Have fun,
                          Frank
                          True, having an actual physical presence does put things in perspective. You know, I may not be able to move a wall but I'm seriously considering building one to fill in the area above the cavity to the right of the fireplace. That'll at least let me center my TV and may slightly help with acoustics.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

                            +1 on the TL kit. But remember youre going to spend as much or much much more on sealing, painting, or veneering unless you have your own shop and ability to finish the cabs yourself.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

                              Originally posted by kknight View Post
                              +1 on the TL kit. But remember youre going to spend as much or much much more on sealing, painting, or veneering unless you have your own shop and ability to finish the cabs yourself.
                              That's DIY.
                              Kenny

                              http://www.diy-ny.com/
                              DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                              Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: TriTrix - need cabinet advice for HT/music

                                Originally posted by kknight View Post
                                +1 on the TL kit. But remember youre going to spend as much or much much more on sealing, painting, or veneering unless you have your own shop and ability to finish the cabs yourself.
                                Are you offering finished cabs, or turnkey designs, or what, here?
                                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X