Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT? Tyger's Audiosource Amp 100 Mod's

Hi all:

Last Thursday I completed Tyger's mod's to a Audiosource Amp 100. Member TNAllen was kind enough to sell me his about six months ago and it took me this long to muster up the nerve to actually do it. I've never done anything like this before, but I recently replaced the tuner board on a Marantz 2252 which worked out quite well and that gave me the confidence to go ahead and do the mod's on the Audiosource.

Let me say up front that Tyger's directions are SPOT ON! All I did was print them out and followed them step by step. Also his response's to my questions via PM were very quick and much appreciated! I've said it before but it's worth repeating,,,,, Thanks Tyger!

It's funny,,,, I ordered the parts from Mouser using Tyger's cart not really thinking too much about all I was ordering. I did also order the Panasonic caps that Tyger recommended because they're shorter and do fit better. When the box showed up and I started looking at everything that was in there I though to myself,,,, "I'm never going to be able to do this!"

But,,, I took a couple of vacation days off from work and had the time so I thought, "I've already spent the money and if I let the MAGIC SMOKE OUT so be it." At least I'd learn a little.

I bought a de-soldering iron from PE, along with another Stall soldering station. (I let the MAGIC SMOKE out of the first one I bought, don't ask)

The first thing I learned was that de-soldering isn't as easy as it looks. The first time I tried to use the iron it just wouldn't melt the old solder. I let it sit there for what felt like forever, and,,,, nothing! Zip, zero, nada! I'm like, "what the f#%$" PE sold me a piece of junk! Remembering that a soldering tip really needs to be tinned before it'll work right, and having some Radio Shack tip tinner and cleaner on hand I dipped the de-soldering tool into it and,,,, viola! The old solder melted pretty quickly. Released the bulb and sucked that old solder right up! Dip, heat, suck, repeat.

So now I'm on my way. Pulling out resistor after resistor, cap after cap, and everything is going along just great!

The second thing I learned was,,,,,, PAY ATTENTION to the parts your putting back in! You really have to read the packages because some of the parts look so similar that it's easy to make a mistake and install the wrong stuff in the wrong place. This happened to me twice, but luckily while following his directions and finding I didn't have the parts he was talking about for the next step, I was able to trace my way back to find my mistake. I pride myself with my ability to follow directions, but I screwed up twice! Kinda goes along the lines of "Measure twice and cut once!" However,,,, now that my de-soldering skills have improved,,,, I was able to correct my mistakes. New solder is much easier to suck up than old solder by the way!

The third thing I learned was that polarity of caps in this application does matter and that the new caps you'll install have a longer lead on the + side, and the - side is very clearly marked. Also, the boards are very clearly marked as to which hole is +.

So the last parts I installed were the 6800uf caps. Those,,,,, were VERY HARD to un-solder! I ended up using the de-soldering tool, dipped, and the Stall, cranked all the way up with an old tip. There has to be a better way, but at 8pm on Thursday, that was the best I could do.

So now it's time to turn it on. I have a pair of cheap computer speakers that I bought at Goodwill just for testing stuff on my work bench. Using my I-pad as a source, (loaded with apple lossless files I ripped) I hooked them all up and hit the power button,,,,,, Oh,,, no smoke! Cool! Turned the volume control up a little and,,,,, it's playing! A little more volume,,,,, whoa,,,, that sounds alright.

I sat there for an hour and a half! From the first note on those crappy computer speakers I could tell that something really special had happened to that amp! Now it's like 11pm,,, I gotta go to bed.

The next day it went into my basement system which is comprised of a Marantz 2252 receiver, my Slant 6 speakers with a small Velodyne sub. Again, using my I-pad or my computer running J-River media software and tunes bought from HDtracks. The Marantz is doing pre-amp duty.

Now I'm,,,, let's say,,,, three days in. No smoke yet! Not only that,,,, I've been looking for a bigger Marantz for quite some time. Now,,,,, I'm looking for another Audiosource Amp 100 to mod. That way I can run two,,,, bridged to mono!

I got a "Big Boy" system upstairs. Entry level "High End" if you subscribe to that kind of thing. My basement system now,,,, is way more interesting!

It's hard to put into words,,,, but I'll try. Music starts and stops better with the mods. The imaging is,,,, scary! The sound stage is,,,, scary! The music seems to appear from a much "Blacker" background. Images play way out to the outside of the speakers. Something that this system had done pretty well before, but is much more pronounced now. Although today I noticed a little noise if I turn the Audiosource up too much,,,, turning it down and turning the pre-amp up seems to keep the noise in check.

The bottom end is to die for! The high end is really very smooth! Before, with the Marantz, 85 db was the sweet spot. Yesterday,,,,, on a couple of tunes I was hitting 96db (on my Radio Shack spl meter) and didn't notice any strain whatsoever!

So,,,, once again, THANK YOU TYGER! I spent a couple of bucks, I un-soldered, I re-soldered, I had a hell of a good time, I didn't let the "Magic Smoke" out, and now I'm done spending money on equipment to try and find audio nirvana! I'll be spending my money on HDtracks from now on! Unless of course I come across another Audiosource Amp 100.

Now it's time to listen some more!

Later, Mark

Re: OT? Tyger's Audiosource Amp 100 Mod's

Great story, and, a happy ending!

Comment

Glad you enjoy, and glad I could help!
      DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
      The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
      The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
      The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
      AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

That was a very enjoyable and interesting read. Glad it worked out so well for you.

Comment

Great testimonial.
          Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
          DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
          Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Thanks for posting your topic on these. I have one of the Amp 100's and read Tygers mod thread on this called " paying it forward".
            I didn't feel confident or knowledgable enough to tackle doing the mods myself but after you dived in I think I'm going to give it a try when work slows down .

Thanks for sharing.

Are there any things to do before removing the cover ?
            Do you have to discharge any caps or does power disappate after the amp is unplugged for a period of time ?

Comment

Originally posted by kevinr View Post
              Thanks for posting your topic on these. I have one of the Amp 100's and read Tygers mod thread on this called " paying it forward".
              I didn't feel confident or knowledgable enough to tackle doing the mods myself but after you dived in I think I'm going to give it a try when work slows down .

Thanks for sharing.

Are there any things to do before removing the cover ?
              Do you have to discharge any caps or does power disappate after the amp is unplugged for a period of time ?
              That would be a question for Tyger. I may have been to stupid to even think of that! My amp had been unplugged for weeks and I didn't get shocked from anything I touched and believe me,,,, I touched everything!

Good Luck! I know you'll be very happy with the improvement,,,,, as long as you don't let the magic smoke out! LOL! Mark

Comment

Ty gave me a happy ending too. Oh wait. I sent my amp 100 to Ty and had him do the mods. I have been very happy with it.

THANKS TY!!
                " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                  Ty gave me a happy ending too. Oh wait. I sent my amp 100 to Ty and had him do the mods. I have been very happy with it.

THANKS TY!!
                  Well buddy,,,, you missed out on a very satisfying experience by not doing it yourself! I had so much fun that I picked up another one from E-Bay so I could do it again! $67.00 shipped. So little money,,,, so much fun!

I'm going to let a buddy try the first one with his Thiel's that retail for $14000.00. He's driving them with an Emotiva now. I'm betting the Audiosource gives the Emotiva a good run for it's money.

Comment

I tried to mod my plate amp and now I have a plate weight.
                    Just not there yet.
                    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

Comment

Kevinr, just unplug the amp and leave it for a few hours before beginning work. Shouldn't be an issue after that. There's not a high voltage in the box except for the wall voltage, so no real danger. If the caps are still charged, you may get a spark show, so just let it set for a few hours.

Arlis, glad it's still working for you. If I happen to make it up north sometime, maybe I'll take it back and fix your balance issue properly. I still feel bad for not getting to that...

Comment

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post
                        Kevinr, just unplug the amp and leave it for a few hours before beginning work. Shouldn't be an issue after that. There's not a high voltage in the box except for the wall voltage, so no real danger. If the caps are still charged, you may get a spark show, so just let it set for a few hours.

Arlis, glad it's still working for you. If I happen to make it up north sometime, maybe I'll take it back and fix your balance issue properly. I still feel bad for not getting to that...
                        I have a guest room. ;)

Comment

So do I! Don't you need a vacation from that weather?

Comment

I do indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              I tried to mod my plate amp and now I have a plate weight.
                              Just not there yet.
                              Yea,,,, I hate when that happens! I too thought I'd have a great big paper weight. However,,,,, you know the old joke. "How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, Practice, Practice!"

Hopefully your next try will work out better. Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X