Fusion 4 Quad 4 with anarchy tapped horn build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion 4 Quad 4 with anarchy tapped horn build

So first let me say thank you to DIYsoundgroup.com and Curt Campbell. you guys rock! also special props to Erich. he graded his packing job on my packaging an A+...he wasn't lying. he really did put an A+ in my packaging. and to the person who invented this tapped horn- outstanding work!

so this build is for my 10 year old son. i will be using a dayton dta150 amp in bridged mono for the sub and a hand me down nakamichi ht receiver for the fusions.

first things to say:

the anarchy kit is not for a newbie that has no confidence with wood working. everything fits great- minus one board that was just 6" longer for no reason. easy fix. made sure everything else was correct then chopped it to proper length. you have to juggle quite a few things all at once when assembling. took me 1 hour 45 to get it all assembled. buy a few corner clamps...makes everything so much easier.

edit: skip the door! erich said it's ok
    i recommend adding a way to get the woofer out should it blow. what i did is make a board to place over the stock board before gluing up the back. screw them together in between where you want the door. then i raised the blade to 1/2" and cut just the stock material. presto! a door to the woofer.then glue up the rest of the back.

mock up is key! this is where the clamps come in. make sure everything is correct THEN start attaching things to each other. if you don't, you will never get any kind of fasteners in between the boards. install everything in modules. check the fit, then add more. you'll see what i mean.

tomorrow me mike220 and jcsquats are building the fusions and a digger 8 sub. i will update with pictures tomorrow. have a beer filled night!

edit: playing all the speaker for a few hours now... getting better by the minute. have to high pass at like 20 to protect the sub, but i have a work around for music. sick! movies still need to be thought about. really low makes the bad sounds come out, but that is lack of protection on my part. the digger is gonna be impressive when it is out of my garage.
    Last edited by kanemack; 03-02-2014, 09:59 PM.

Re: Fusion 4 Quad 4 with anarchy tapped horn build

reserved for pictures

Comment

Just knocked out two of the Anarchy TH flat-packs, would absolutely echo your sentiments about the packaging.

No issues here with cut sizes, the CNC work made it pretty straight-forward... plug and play. Yeah, not having access to the driver as-delivered is a bit of a crapshoot- I tested and ran-in the drivers first but wouldn't want to have to blast my way in to change one.

Interesting that you did the assembly in one take... you're braver than I am! I used PL Premium, and just did two or three pieces at a shot.

Thinking they'll be a good match with the F4Q4.

Ed Henderson

Comment

the designer wasn't lying though... they do one thing well...LFE. taking some messing around because the lowest i can cross is 50hz. so movies can sometimes make the "bad noises"
        have you heard yours yet? where did you cross them? when i listen to music i can feed the sub power, but when it gets really low crossed at like eighty they freak out. music sounds great a little boomy crossed high, i think i got them dialed in for movies now. crossed at 50 with a little less than 70 watts and no more bad noises.

i also need to figure out my ht rec. boost here, subtract there, you know the drill. the other problem is the room i'm in...36x22 with 12 foot ceilings. sub nightmare garage. it will be great with the digger 8 tomorrow, they will sound not so inspiring here, then jc will take them home and be very pleased.

Comment

You just freaked me out about the longer piece in the Anarchy TH. They have letters carved on each panel so you know where they need to go and it all fits together just one way. Did the one you cut down have a letter on it?

I had a friend help package a couple of those up for the first time about 2 weeks ago. There's a small stack of scrap boards left over after the Anarchy is cut. I wonder if one of those accidentally got put in your kit. First I've heard of that after many of those kits going out over the past couple years. Looks like I will be opening the other few he helped with just to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by kanemack View Post
            i recommend adding a way to get the woofer out should it blow. what i did is make a board to place over the stock board before gluing up the back. screw them together in between where you want the door. then i raised the blade to 1/2" and cut just the stock material. presto! a door to the woofer.then glue up the rest of the back.
            An access door was discussed a few years ago when the design was first done. But the designer and a few other people did not think it was needed, and it could cause air leaks during assembly and use. From what I understand, there hasn't been any blown Anarchy's. The designer of the tapped horn said that when pushed too hard you'll be able to tell well before the driver actually goes.

Comment

A+ erich...is what you are now to be called. lol sorry man when you graded yourself, me and mike cracked up. the way i built the door is very easy to seal, but if you're sure, so am i. i can glue it and screw it permanently. yea experienced the too hard push. hit a really low note watching serenity. sounded like bad elves messing with me. gotta play with the setup to see where i can max it, and where i can't. i'm pretty safe with my son as he has had high quality speakers for a while now. guess where i got them? you and your sublime packing skills! i will be sure to give great reviews on diy. only question i keep asking is, why don't you do this for a living? i appreciate your efforts, but this is your calling.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Anarchy TH designer recommends a filter to block the really low content on the tapped horn, but can't recall how low right now.

It's kind of rare to get the A+ packaging grade. :D But a pair of those Quad-4 kits package so darn good that after I saw how it looked prior to going in the final box, I couldn't help but rate it with an A+! I almost started putting a percentage chance for shipping damage on there too, but didn't want to push my luck.

Packaging Grade: A+
                Chance for shipping damage: .022%

:D

Comment

have you heard yours yet? where did you cross them? when i listen to music i can feed the sub power, but when it gets really low crossed at like eighty they freak out. music sounds great a little boomy crossed high, i think i got them dialed in for movies now. crossed at 50 with a little less than 70 watts and no more bad noises
                  I'm running mine on a (low-end AVR) Denon 1513, with the LFE Out (set 'LFE+Main', speakers 'small') split to a couple of older dbx MPA150s bridged to single channel... lowest crossover option on the Denon is 40Hz, haven't run that combo yet but but have been rotating through the choices above it (60 - 80 - 90 - 100 - 110 - 120).

Had the Anarchys pretty well jacked up with no bad noises heard until the LFE track for Ender's Game, which has some very low/loud early in the film... you know it when you hear it, for sure! :eek: These old amps have a 'subsonic' filter which is supposed to eliminate from 15Hz down, and that was switched "in" so who knows what was getting through.

I have a miniDSP 2x4 sitting here unused, and once the F4Q4s are running it might make sense to insert it into the feeds to the THs for some better contouring options. If the F4Q4s graduate to the main room (not holding my breath, SWMBO likes the aesthetics of the current Klipsch soundbar) there's a 4311 in there with more flexibility.

Ed Henderson

Comment

Thanks to kanmack for his skill, time, patience, tools, and awesome man cave to get this cranked out! Also great meeting mike220 and bearing witness to his artistic passive crossover building!

To put things into perspective:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Raw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	607.0 KB
ID:	1157030Click image for larger version

Name:	First.jpg
Size:	646.9 KB
ID:	1157031Click image for larger version

Name:	PR2.jpg
Size:	679.9 KB
ID:	1157032

Then you can kinda see how screwy the twist terminals are on the basket of the JBL, made things a bit tight, thanks to kanemack for his skills in working this part out.

Name:	Peakaboo.jpg
Size:	579.3 KB
ID:	1157033

Getting tested:

Name:	Finished.jpg
Size:	807.5 KB
ID:	1157034

Initial listening impressions, now that it is home in my own basement man cave: Amazing! Perfect complement to my Hitmakers, rounding out the bottom 2 octaves without effort. It will need some spike feet - it's already dancing on my bare floor, and that is the only hint of any "distortion" I can hear.

Hopefully I'll be able to finish it off in the next few weeks, to which I will post to the original Digger 8 thread.

Now I eagerly await the results of the Fusions!

Comment

the fusions sound spectacular. it took some time and to have the a pair completed to see the light. literally by the minute they get better. i reconfigured the anarchy sub to play "nice" and it just goes and goes. still need bottom end cut off, and time to calibrate, but it is gonna be a winner for my son.let him try to tell anyone when he's thirty that "if my dad had...". win!

Comment

thx for the compliment JC!

Today was a great day for me aswell. I got to meet JC, help build speakers and listen to them.....and I didn't have to buy a thing! Both sub's were really good. Make's me want to try and work out a passive design on my 12" rs's! I tried using bagby's sub design excel sheet but I am not figuring it out for passives.

Kanemack as always slaps these cab's together with a quickness! In fact he finished the quad 4's and JC's sub before I finished the first crossover!!!!! (in my defense I will blame the stain taking a long time to dry on the x-over boards ). The speakers are for his son so we figured it would be cool to mount the x-overs externally so he can see what's involved internally. Hopefully it inspires him to pursue this hobby as well as a possible education path to pursue. I also got the pleasure of getting to hear this "bad noises" phenomenon LOL.

The quad4's and pretty awesome. After all the builds we have done lately it was funny to see the tiny woofers. Bass output was pretty good and they have a wide soundstage. We were really far off axis at one point and you can tell your still in a good listening position. The tweeter is detailed and a song on Kanemacks list had a nice distorted guitar riff that stuck out to me. Wish I could remember the name but it was sort of a electronic/dance type song.
                        My Build Thread's
                        Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

You guys blew right past me.... nice work, congrats on getting them running!

Ed Henderson

Comment

Well we had multiple people working on it so it went quickly! Tiny boxes compared to what we usually do!
                            My Build Thread's
                            Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

So how would you compare the quad 4's? Can you give us some more discriptions on how they sound?

Thanks,

Kevin

Originally posted by Mike220 View Post
                              thx for the compliment JC!

Today was a great day for me aswell. I got to meet JC, help build speakers and listen to them.....and I didn't have to buy a thing! Both sub's were really good. Make's me want to try and work out a passive design on my 12" rs's! I tried using bagby's sub design excel sheet but I am not figuring it out for passives.

Kanemack as always slaps these cab's together with a quickness! In fact he finished the quad 4's and JC's sub before I finished the first crossover!!!!! (in my defense I will blame the stain taking a long time to dry on the x-over boards ). The speakers are for his son so we figured it would be cool to mount the x-overs externally so he can see what's involved internally. Hopefully it inspires him to pursue this hobby as well as a possible education path to pursue. I also got the pleasure of getting to hear this "bad noises" phenomenon LOL.

The quad4's and pretty awesome. After all the builds we have done lately it was funny to see the tiny woofers. Bass output was pretty good and they have a wide soundstage. We were really far off axis at one point and you can tell your still in a good listening position. The tweeter is detailed and a song on Kanemacks list had a nice distorted guitar riff that stuck out to me. Wish I could remember the name but it was sort of a electronic/dance type song.
                              Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                              OS MTM's
                              Digger 8 sub
                              Overnight Sensations Center Channel
                              Sprite Build
                              Wolf's PC Speakers
                              Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Working...
                              X