what to do with 1000 drivers, cnc, and a school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do with 1000 drivers, cnc, and a school

first I'm a newbie... so back ground first I'm a high school science teacher

I inherited/been cursed with 1000's of drivers (not joking 1000's) lots of ports, wires, terminals, etc. I got some students interested in building speakers. I thought it was a good way of teaching basic electronics. the crossovers went well (if student sloppy), but the box didn't. The students couldn't cut a straight line,the holes for the drivers were a disaster, and the classroom was a mess. Fast forward the school might be getting a cnc (large industrial size) can anyone suggest/give a CAD or CAM file of speaker something a little more than a rectangular box. The students have to pay for the wood, amplifier, and paint/finish ..so think simple. what ever design is given I can match drivers, vents, and volume

perhaps one of the following
    1) a large floor standing 2 or 3 way for a group of kids to build
    2) a book shelf 2 way maybe with some kind of curve
    3) an interesting subwoofer enclose

thanks for everything in advance

p.s. if it goes well I'll post student work in project gallery

Re: what to do with 1000 drivers, cnc, and a school

Would you be able to give us an idea of what drivers you have? I'm very curious. Plus it'd be good to know to steer you in the right direction.

Dan

Comment

I could probably help you out with this! A while back my robotics team got a CNC, and ever since I have become the team "expert", and have been putting probably 15 hrs a week in running the thing, so I'm getting pretty good, although ours is only a three-axis (I'm guessing yours will probably be the same). I CAD everything in Autodesk Inventor, and CAM it in HSM express. Very user friendly set up.

I don't know any files off hand, but if you give me an idea I can draw up about any box you want. Let me know what you have for drivers you want to incorporate, sizes, etc. Maybe some other guys with more speaker experience can help with the design (I'm still a relative beginner in speaker building myself), then I can pitch in more with the CAD/CAM.

Comment

I would be willing to donate some design work. Post some pictures of "the hoard", and we can work from there.

On a side note, I no longer feel so bad about the 60 or so drivers cluttering up my life
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Castle Audio... Castle Acoustics? :D
          "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
          ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

I'll also help, but, I'll want to know what your educational objectives are and how you'll teach the project, the design & CNC part is easy, designing and executing the educational part is tough.

Sad that many schools no longer have shops.

Comment

So now I have a reason to want to go back to high school. ;) I know there is a bunch of wonderful people that will love to help you out. If you can give your location you may even get in class assistance.

Good luck,
              Duane

Comment

every thing! most of the drivers are parts express close out.
                example
                350 frog transducers
                300 hi-vi 2'' midrange
                300 hi-vi 1'' mid tweet
                200 peerless 4.5
                200 Dayton audio 5.25 mid
                50 jvc 6'' woofer
                2 cases of misc tweeters (over 500)

and many many many and I mean many more
                etc

Comment

in terms of educational. I'll teach the basic circuit design (series parallel) for the speakers themselves. The crossover are usuall 2 way 1st order to show how to wire the resistor, inductor, and capacitors. that's the main part. the secondary is the speakers themselves I use it for the "hook" to get kids interested

Comment

I use CAMBAM, for cam. Its dirt cheap and pretty capable. Since you are a school, there may be some really nice "Educational" licenses to be had free or cheap. I know as far a Cad, Autodesk Inventor has in the past offered free educational copies. So has Pro-E or whatever its new name is.

As far as projects, I think you could really get some interest if you offered a Bluetooth speaker dock, student assembled "kit" that could kick the **** of a Beats Pill, Bose, or other cheapo speaker docks.
                    Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

I remember 2 articles over the years, one mentioned how you could teach
                      so much about Physics and Electronics through audio. Resonance, current,
                      voltage, simple components, mechanical through turntables, etc.
                      Gas law with regard to adiabatic vs. isothermal.

The other was a teaching in a NYC school building speakers with his students.
                      I believe that it was in Speaker Builder.

Comment

Originally posted by Melby Audio View Post
                        I use CAMBAM, for cam. Its dirt cheap and pretty capable. Since you are a school, there may be some really nice "Educational" licenses to be had free or cheap. I know as far a Cad, Autodesk Inventor has in the past offered free educational copies. So has Pro-E or whatever its new name is.

As far as projects, I think you could really get some interest if you offered a Bluetooth speaker dock, student assembled "kit" that could kick the **** of a Beats Pill, Bose, or other cheapo speaker docks.
                        Auto desk inventor is usually free to schools, and hsmexpress is always free. Great way to teach, especially since many corporations use auto desk too, could be a great learning experience.

Comment

Autodesk Educational Version:http://www.autodesk.com/education/st...e/k-12/popular

HSM Express:http://cam.autodesk.com/hsm

Comment

sweet unholy goodness, how did your district justify that expenditure? I mean, whoever pushed that through is my hero, but man.
                            I am trolling you.

Comment

You might also look into Kubotek's KeyCreator, I know many people prefer parametric design rather than direct design, and that CAD war partisans are as nasty as they come; but, Kubotek has recently made KC free to students at my school and I assume all schools. If a school is committed to a solid CAD program, it is worthwhile to teach KC, as well as other programs. If you like, I'll send you the Power Point introductory files I provide my students as reference and supplemental material when I teach Graphics/CAD.

Comment

Working...
                              X