5 1/4 speakers for Hot Tub ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 1/4 speakers for Hot Tub ??

I have a 10-12 yr. old LA Spa's hot tub with 5 1/4" speakers in each corner, along with the fiberoptic mood lighting. The speaker that are currently in there are Audivox with foam surrounds. Or I guess I should say rotted and no surrounds. These are constantly covered with the cover on the hottub and subjected to 98-99 deg.steam. Any suggestions on a good replacement. What constitutes water proof ? Which would be better woofer wise poly or aluminum? Tweeter wise mylar or aluminum, etc. I know the surround needs to be rubber. I was looking at a pair or Pyles but totally open to suggestions. Thanks, Doug C

Re: 5 1/4 speakers for Hot Tub ??

Might want to look at marine speakers. I myself would probably skip the hot tub audio and just get some patio speakers.

Comment

+1 on the marine speakers... you won't get quite the audio bliss of a good MTM but they will hold up to the heat and humidity .

Comment

I agree, but my wife wants the speakers replaced in the hot tub. You know how that goes.

Comment

Seriously, we all know we pay more for something labeled recreational. Marine speakers, you get junk or pay top dollar for a name brand marine speaker. What is the difference? What makes a good marine or water proof speaker over a reg. car speaker. If they both have poly cones and rubber surrounds, what makes one more waterproof over the other.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-5-2.../dp/B000P0PF8C

They can be had for cheaper if you do a little searching, but these would be my suggestion. They sound pretty good and will surely hold up to the steam and heat. Had some in my car and was completely pleased with them.

Comment

+1 Go with the Polks, they will probably be better than whatever the HT originally came with and more probably more durable. One thing that makes a big difference in coax car speakers is if they use a crossover or not. The Polk coaxes linked have a first order crossover I think. Some I have seen have a second order, but some of the cheaper ones just have a cap to protect the tweeter.
              Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

most anodized metal cone drivers (without phase plugs) are completely splash proof

Comment

Originally posted by Melby Audio View Post
                  +1 Go with the Polks, they will probably be better than whatever the HT originally came with and more probably more durable. One thing that makes a big difference in coax car speakers is if they use a crossover or not. The Polk coaxes linked have a first order crossover I think. Some I have seen have a second order, but some of the cheaper ones just have a cap to protect the tweeter.
                  The Polks do have a first order XO, using a .35mH inductor on the woofer and something like a 7 or 8uF cap on the tweeter. They definitely won't disappoint in the price range, and I have watched a few videos on their testing - they actually submit them to a salt-steam test that lasts a month at nearly 200 degrees. Your hot tub won't touch them.

Comment

Working...
                  X