First time working with veneer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time working with veneer?

I have to cover some MDF cabinets using Walnut veneer. I've never used veneer and wondered what some of you may suggest as far as procedure and type of veneer is concerned. And suggestions and info would be appreciated.

Re: First time working with veneer?

Originally posted by emilime75 View Post
    I have to cover some MDF cabinets using Walnut veneer. I've never used veneer and wondered what some of you may suggest as far as procedure and type of veneer is concerned. And suggestions and info would be appreciated.
    I'm a rookie too and have only done this once. I used the iron-on method and it's fairly easy (except I had to buy my mother-in-law a new iron afterwards ;)

Here's some useful links:

http://www.webherrera.com/blog/2009/...-instructions/

http://www.ohio.edu/people/schneidw/...veneering.html

http://www.lonesaguaro.com/speakers/VeneerTutorial.pdf

http://www.veneersupplies.com/catego...%26__Supplies/

Hope that's helpful. Again, I'm no expert but from what I've read, you probably want to go with paper-backed veneer and iron-on method as a first try. Some swear by contact cement but it can be unforgiving (and smelly). Real pros use vacuum press.

Carbon
    Carbon13

Comment

If I recall correctly, walnut is on the difficult side - brittle and prone to splitting.

If you go with a paper backed veneer, an iron-on should work well. I'd spring for Heat-Lock over plain yellow glue.

If you can, cold press can be awesome but it takes patience and setup - and more tools. If you're book-matching it may be the way to go. It would allow you to work with un-backed veneer. I would NOT use any iron-on technique with unbacked walnut.

C
      diVine Audio

Comment

I use PSA veneer which worked very well
        Statement Monitors

Duratex is your friend

Comment

Paper backed and iron on is about as easy as it can get.
          Wood species is not a big factor when it's backed with paper (or other suitable material).

If the panels are suitably sized then clamping, aka cold pressing, is an option that is not difficult. It requires enough clamps and scrap to cover each face as you veneer. Will take a little longer to cover the cabs but is usually a superior method to iron on application.

Just an fyi for those reading, regular walnut is actually a very easy wood to work. Probably the easiest working hard wood there is. Very enjoyable to work with hand tools!
          It is not usually brittle.

~99%
          Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
          Make me a poster of an old rodeo
          Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
          To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

It would help if we knew a bit more about what you are working with - is it raw veneer? Is it a paper backed veneer? Does it have a PSA backing? Narrow it down and you'll get more help than you can likely use!
            When you run make sure you run,
            to something not away from, cause lies don't need an aeroplane to chase you anywhere.

Comment

I haven't bought the veneer yet. That's one of the things I'm asking for suggestions about. If it matters, the cabinets will be somewhat large, about 3.5 cuft, the sides, top and bottom will be veneered and the front and rear baffles will be painted.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbarkto View Post

Just an fyi for those reading, regular walnut is actually a very easy wood to work. Probably the easiest working hard wood there is. Very enjoyable to work with hand tools!
                It is not usually brittle.
                Well shoot. What am I thinking of? I swear it was walnut but it's been forever. Glad you spoke up though.
                diVine Audio

Comment

Paper backed is the way to go for a first attempt. Iron on with heat lock is also a good first method. If you have a local hardwood store, ask them to get paper backed veneer for you. If i am willing to accept a cardboard box as the packaging, i can get if for less than posted internet prices. You would be amazed at what is charged for the packaging. I would not suggest psa, very little forgiveness.

Comment

Walnut burl maybe?
                    It can be pretty ornery like most burls.

Originally posted by cjd View Post
                    Well shoot. What am I thinking of? I swear it was walnut but it's been forever. Glad you spoke up though.
                    ~99%

Comment

After doing some reading and watching some YouTube videos, I think I am going to try the paper backed and iron on method. There are a few "specialty" wood working supply stores not too far from me, I'll check with them as to what they have. buzzforb, what do you mean by "heat lock"? Also, from what I've seen so far veneer usually ships rolled up in a tube, is this OK? I'm not exactly sure what you meant by "willing to accept a cardboard box as the packaging"

Will regular Titebond glue work well? Or should I use something different?

Originally posted by buzzforb View Post
                      Paper backed is the way to go for a first attempt. Iron on with heat lock is also a good first method. If you have a local hardwood store, ask them to get paper backed veneer for you. If i am willing to accept a cardboard box as the packaging, i can get if for less than posted internet prices. You would be amazed at what is charged for the packaging. I would not suggest psa, very little forgiveness.

Comment

Well, I
                        always suggest PSA veneer in this situation. PSA is a peel'n'stick option that does away with
                        half the BS of veneering a cabinet. No contact/cement,no iron/on glue hope it works crap.
                        Simple as peel&stick, walnut is definately available in this format. Save yourself a shitload
                        of time and look into vendors that supply this product.

Comment

Make sure you use wood conditioner before applying the stain... otherwise the finish will be very blotchy.

Comment

Paper backed veneer is often sold rolled up for ease of shipping.
                            Raw or unbacked veneer can be rolled sometimes but is often shipped flat. It depends on several factors whether shipping rolled in a box would be suitable. It can be perfectly fine that way.

Titebond is a suitable adhesive for the iron on method. Heat Lock is a brand of PVA glue (much like Titebond) that is marketed specifically for iron on veneer application. Take your pick...

After doing some reading and watching some YouTube videos, I think I am going to try the paper backed and iron on method. There are a few "specialty" wood working supply stores not too far from me, I'll check with them as to what they have. buzzforb, what do you mean by "heat lock"? Also, from what I've seen so far veneer usually ships rolled up in a tube, is this OK? I'm not exactly sure what you meant by "willing to accept a cardboard box as the packaging"

Will regular Titebond glue work well? Or should I use something different?
                            ~99%

Comment

Any advice on a veneer that will curve around a 1in roundover?

Comment

Working...
                              X