Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone ID this Tannoy speaker? From the late 90s early aughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone ID this Tannoy speaker? From the late 90s early aughts...

Box is very much not original. From a local Craigslist seller, and I'm pretty sure I want to snatch it up as it's a great price. Just want to make sure it's a step up and not down!

cheers,
    -Tal
    Attached Files

Re: Can anyone ID this Tannoy speaker? From the late 90s early aughts...

Looks like it might be missing a phase plug. If not, I've never seen a configuration like that before. Looks like the voice coil might be exposed.

Comment

It is one of their concentrics, and might be a very fun driver to play with. I'd say snatch and play, if it's in "fun money" range and you want to work with it.

Comment

It's actually Tannoy's take on a coaxial driver - the "tweeter" is BEHIND the woofer, and fires through a carefully shaped waveguide which exits right into the woofer's cone. So the woofer's voice coil is somewhat exposed, but what you see is actually the exit of the tweeter's waveguide/horn. This diagram is illustrative:
        http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/feb0...-diagram02.jpg

It does look like the woofer had a dustcap, and that is missing - not the biggest deal.

Originally posted by generic View Post
        Looks like it might be missing a phase plug. If not, I've never seen a configuration like that before. Looks like the voice coil might be exposed.
        badman,

Yeah, it's just barely in the range - I think I'll go for it. Having a 10" offers much more flexibility than the 6.5" I have now as far as the lower crossover point, especially as I'm crossing to a 15" subwoofer (definitely not a woofer - Fs is 16 Hz.). Subwoofer is AE IB15 - with the fancy low-inductance motor, which is why I'm not worried about a 150 Hz. crossover point (the original plan).

There may be a pair of Tannoy CMS 601DC up for sale soon!

cheers,
        -Tal

Comment

I just picked up a pair of Tannoy Studio Monitors (System 800) with a nearly identical woofer, although it's an 8" made of Poly with a rubber surround. The cone is shaped as part of the tweeter's horn. the VC is visible and exposed, so you have to make sure nothing gets in there, but there is no dustcap and never was on mine.

I would definitely pick it up, as mine sound fantastic. I saw a pair of their drivers sell for ~200 on the classifieds a while back. I say if it's under $100 you're in great shape on a pair, just think of it as getting 4 drivers!

Comment

Ok - in contact with the seller - picking them up this week hopefully. They're 10" drivers btw.

Cheers!
            -Tal

Comment

Yep, no dust cap, Tannoy calls it "dual concentric". I think they are kind of a cool design personally.
              Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

Comment

If you ever wanted to sell them, I would be interested in a set of 10s. Been on the search for a pair of their 8s or 10s.

My local CL sucks...damn.

Comment

Hey all,

Looks like they're 3134s from the CPA-12. Definitely going to hang on to them until I can do a proper heavily-biased A-B comparison against the CMS601DC and decide which to keep. The 12" sure opens up the crossover possibilities though, and makes the amplification I have seem like quite the overkill (200/300 @ 8/4 ohms, very much continuous).

cheers,
                  -Tal

Comment

Working...
                  X