Lepai 2020 PS upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lepai 2020 PS upgrade?

Just received an order from PE with three Lepai 2020 amps with the power supply that are on sale for $19.88

I see that the power supply is now rated at 3 amps instead of 2 amps like on the older units. I have a bunch of older ones that used the 2 amp Vonage PS, and a few other amps with a different but still 2 amp power supply more recently.

I haven't had a chance to give any of them a listen, but just a FYI if you maybe wanted just a bit more power but didn't feel like paying for the 4-5 amp ps units on ebay, Amazon, or MPJ assoc. etc. Not sure how much the 3 amp vs. the 2 amp would make a difference though. I was pleasantly surprised, though. Many of these I end up giving away with small speaker projects, and that extra amp of oomph may help a bit.

TomZ
    Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF

Re: Lepai 2020 PS upgrade?

I see on the product page for the amp that it is now listed as having a 3 amp PS. Nice free upgrade!
    It did have a 2 amp PS in the recent past, right? or am I mis-under-remembering?
    TomZ
    Zarbo Audio Projects Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZ...aFQSTl6NdOwgxQ * 320-641 Amp Review Youtube: https://youtu.be/ugjfcI5p6m0 *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video

Comment

I have some early 2020s that came with 2A supplies (surplus Vonage supplies) and a later one that came with a 2.5A supply. Do you think if we wait long enough they will eventually come with 5A supplies?

Comment

Originally posted by msibilia View Post
        Do you think if we wait long enough they will eventually come with 5A supplies?
        Sounds good to me!

I didn't know that there was a 2.5 amp supply in there awhile ago... I didn't purchase any for about almost a year because I was all ate up with Lepai amps for a bit until I started making some new speakers to pair them with.

TomZ

Comment

If you're powering 8-ohm speakers, I don't see the need to upgrade from the new 3A supply. There's some benefit to upgrading if you're powering 4-ohm speakers.

With 8-ohm speakers the TA2020 amp can only push out about 12W, and that's at 10% distortion. This equates to 2.27 amps from a 12V supply.
          DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
          The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
          The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
          The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
          AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Perhaps of related interest:
            March 2014 AudioXpress has an article: Testing a TriPath Power Amplifier by Ron Tipton.
            In it he details how he modified a Tripath TA2024 and a Lepai TA2020A to alleviate thermal shutdown.
            "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
            “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
            "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Haven't seen a copy of AX in a long time. Used to pick it up at B&N, but I guess they dropped it.
              $50 for a 1 year sub is a tad much for my budget at this time.... Would have liked to have seen the article. Would have happily purchased that one issue, though, if it at B&N.

Thanks for the heads-up, though.. :thumbup:

Comment

Originally posted by danvee View Post
                .Would have liked to have seen the article. ..:
                Check a library that subscribes to periodicals?
                Very briefly the heat dissipation work:
                In the case of a TA2024 - a copper bar was soldered to the finned heatsink
                The Lepai TA2024A had a Muffin fan ( and related circuitry ) mounted on top the chassis, and (6) .3" holes were drilled for increased air flow.
                BTW: The measurements performed in that article were thorough.
                "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Thanks Sydney... Checked with our local, County, and County College libraries some time ago and AX wasn't on their list. I'd requested it being added, but no response. (odd, too, as our County College has an extensive Electronics curriculum).

Comment

Pity...Bet they carry Sport Illustrated though :D
                    I groan a little every time the renewal comes do - but it's been worth it ( for me ) since the first issue of AA.

Comment

Most assuredly....
                      They also have the Oprah and Rachael Ray mags....

I'd subscribed to AA and Speaker Builder in the past as well.
                      Just can't scrape up that kind of $$ right now for a subscription.
                      Oh well....

Comment

Originally posted by danvee View Post
                        ...They also have the Oprah and Rachael Ray mags.... ..
                        HaHa
                        ( Sadly Not surprised )
                        Oh well....
                        If I could figure out how to write off AES dues as a business expense...

Comment

Working...
                        X