Can a baffle that was cut to small be fixed?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duanebro
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Oct 2010

Can a baffle that was cut to small be fixed?

Some Details:

Baffle is for a CBT! The Shopbot cut on the inside of the line on only one of the baffles!??? These were mirrored in the shopbot's own CAM software. We still have not figured out why it did this. (It also cut the screw alignment holes in a very strange out of order way) Overall I am not very impressed with a very expensive CNC.

Now I have a baffle that the rear mounted tweeters come to the very edge of. This needs to be bent over a frame. I think I need to cut another one. This time I would just cut out the baffle with a table saw after the cnc work is complete. But I would rather not have to go back and do it again. I have toyed with the idea of going to an open baffle...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Duane
  • bobbarkto
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Aug 2006

Re: Can a baffle that was cut to small be fixed?

You can glue a strip of pine or other soft wood to the edges.
    Choose pieces with even straight grain, no knots.
    Use yellow carpenters glue.
    It will bend to a large radius like you will have.
    Cut the strips oversize in thickness and width so you can trim to size and also trim the face and back flush.
    ~99%
    Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
    Make me a poster of an old rodeo
    Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
    To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go

Comment

• duanebro
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Oct 2010

Thank you!

Comment

• jhollander
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Oct 2006

I'd just increase the box depth if side still fits and cut the other one down. The flange on the ND91's is maybe 2 mm, a tiny saw kerf dado would make clearance if it was to close.
        John H

Synergy Horn, SLS-85, BMR-3L, Mini-TL, BR-2, Titan OB, B452, Udique, Vultus, Latus1, Seriatim, Aperivox,Pencil Tower

Comment

• Dewmiester
          • Aug 2012

Is that G code programming?
          Did you use comp left instead of comp right or vice versa.

Comment

• Mike220
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Sep 2013

I would have nightmares if i had to route those baffles by hand.
            My Build Thread's
            Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

• duanebro
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by jhollander
              I'd just increase the box depth if side still fits and cut the other one down. The flange on the ND91's is maybe 2 mm, a tiny saw kerf dado would make clearance if it was to close.
              I'm using Apex Jr. Tweeters. They are screw mounted from the rear. This makes the flange of the tweeter right at the edge of the baffle. I think that adding on strips will be a very good look. (The sides are plywood)

Originally posted by Dewmiester
              Is that G code programming?
              Did you use comp left instead of comp right or vice versa.
              It was done on ShopBots software that came with the CNC. I'm guessing that it is G-code, but I never really saw the actual code. I do know that it cut the baffles out like they were four different instructions. (The sides then the ends)

Originally posted by Mike220
              I would have nightmares if i had to route those baffles by hand.
              That is why i did this. Trying to make it easy. ;) I still had to round over all the holes. I did one baffle last night. It was much quicker than i thought it would be.

Comment

• Dewmiester
                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by duanebro
                I'm using Apex Jr. Tweeters. They are screw mounted from the rear. This makes the flange of the tweeter right at the edge of the baffle. I think that adding on strips will be a very good look. (The sides are plywood)

It was done on ShopBots software that came with the CNC. I'm guessing that it is G-code, but I never really saw the actual code. I do know that it cut the baffles out like they were four different instructions. (The sides then the ends)

That is why i did this. Trying to make it easy. ;) I still had to round over all the holes. I did one baffle last night. It was much quicker than i thought it would be.
                Can't wait to see this project completed.
                CNC's will do strange things. One of our machining centers was named Christine because of the strange things she would do. But anything she did was because we told her to do it.
                Probably just take some time to get the hang of the ShopBot software. One of those would be fun to play around with.

Comment

• duanebro
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Oct 2010

Here are the baffles currently. I still have not gotten used to how different parts look as compared to the CAD drawings.

Comment

• mike s
                    • Feb 2010

"These were mirrored in the shopbot's own CAM software"

Just guessing here. I wonder if the mirroring somehow played which side of the line the cut was made, i.e besides the dimensions being mirrored were also the cutting "commands" mirrored, ex: cutting to the left of the line was mirrored to be cutting to the right of the line??

Comment

• duanebro
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Oct 2010

As far as the error. The cnc uses g-code or something very close. (So you have to use their software.) But the CAM program writes it. So when defining the tool path I select cut inside, cut outside, or on the line. Plus a bunch more options/info. (What bit, pass depth, final cut depth, speeds...) The software then writes the code for the CNC. I would call this high level programing. There is room for errors as the CAM software translates my input to g-code for the CNC. And being my first time I don't have a good idea of everything that could go wrong. Or what to watch for...

I have HSM express installed at home but I'm not sure how to, or if I can export the cut paths (g-code) to the shopbot.

Comment

• Dewmiester
                        • Aug 2012

How fast did it do the finishing on that baffle.
                        That's pretty slick.

Comment

• duanebro
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Dewmiester
                          How fast did it do the finishing on that baffle.
                          That's pretty slick.
                          I was in the lab about 3.5 hours. Most of that time was being instructed on the CAM software. Plus the first time cutting the outer rail ran into a handheld e-stop that made the CNC lose its position. So the second try took about 30-40 minutes for both baffles including predrilling screw holes. The roundovers I did at home. Guessing about 15-30 min each baffle for sanding and routering.

Comment

Working...