Clear All

• 2 x 100 Sure 2050 build thread

So far:

Click image for larger version

Name:	10296354_429698270508026_1371776644709055901_o (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	1189068

I am approaching this as more of a "can I do this" rather than "I need a fancy amp". Essentially, I want to see how much cr*p I can fit into a home made case. I found this and this and this to go with this and I also have the Sure volume control board.

Still scrounging some internals and connectors, so will be slow going for awhile.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: 2 x 100 Sure 2050 build thread

Should be sweet mr. busy ******.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Do you or anyone else have any plans to evaluate amps at the next DIY gathering?

I've got an unusual class D amp that I made about 4 years ago. I made it just to learn more about modulators and power supply options, and I've never used it since then. It's fun to play with it and educational, and might be interesting if you are evaluating amps at a DIY gathering.

I'd like to get it back, but I'd be happy to loan it out so other people can play with it and do their own experiments. I don't care if you break it--I just want the parts back. The amp uses the high powered STA517B outputs running at 48V, so it's capable of around 300W at 4ohm. But what's interesting are the relays and digital logic to evaluate circuit variations.

First, it's got circuitry to compare two different modulators--the Tripath TC2001 and the Apogee DDX8001 (STA308a). Here is the signal flow block diagram:

So it's got the same power supply, the same output chips, the same output filter and mostly the same input circuitry. But it has digital logic to switch between the two modulators. The Tripath modulator is an early delta-sigma modulator, whereas the Apogee is a PWM. I had written up a short tutorial on modulator types a while back and if you want more information it is here. So you can sit back with your eyes closed, with remote control in hand and switch between the modulators. My conclusion was that the Tripath modulator lacked the clarity of the Apogee modulator, and that it was a bit "muddy". But you can come to your own conclusions using this amp.

Second, it's got 4 different power supply options. You can select a simple linear power supply, a 350W switching supply, and you can switch in a 60,000uF bank of capacitors. You can also route the selected supply through a low dropout regulator for some serious additional filtering. All of this switching is done with heavy-duty relays that you can control from the IR remote. My conclusion is that the switching supply is as good as it gets, and that additional capacitors and linear regulators don't improve the sound at all. But again, you can use this amp to draw your own conclusions.

And third, it's got relays for 4 vs 8ohm output filters. So you can hear for yourself how the response changes with the load.

So it's a fun amp to play with, and especially interesting if you are using the Tripath amps. The software for the micro isn't 100% done, but it works well enough to do the testing. Any interest?
      Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

Sent ya a PM, Neil!

Comment

Good for you. Sometimes we just need to create challenges for ourselves.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
          "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
          SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
          My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Since it takes at least a month for enamel to harden enough to polish properly, I applied it to the lid today:

Now I wait, good thing I have about 8000 other things to do in the meantime - some of them are even DIY related.

Comment

nice.

The Catfish whisper your name.
              " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                nice.

The Catfish whisper your name.
                That they are, possibly next weekend it will be warm enough. Not much of a rise this year, though - hard to find them pre-spawn when the water levels don't come up.

Comment

Hi Fellows,

I own Sure Electronics TK2050 DIY amp, 2*50Watter, powered from 24VDC supply. I use 4 Sealed battery 6 volts each, 2 in series and then parallel to give 24V., I drove the amp from a tube buffer. This combo does in sounds quite good without mods, try it. With mods it will sound even better.

Comment

While I am sure it is an upgrade to add batteries between PSU and amp, not sure I want four batteries sitting in my nerdery.

Mocked up back panel today. I have three speaker projects plus this amp going currently, all four are in different stages.

Comment

A big ole cap could be nice. I have one. Let me know if you want/need it.
                      I have never enjoyed installing a IEC receptacle.

Comment

I don't think I will have the room, Lowell - but thank you.

To the discerning eye - I did drill the other two binding post holes ;)

Comment

I've got some amp bling and parts if you amp-building guys are interested. Like handles, a nice 2-3/8" knob, nice rotary selector switches and pots and some smaller heatsinks for regulators. It's in a box I got "for free" and its stuff I don't need. I'll take pictures if any interest...
                          Free Passive Speaker Designer Lite (PSD-Lite) -- http://www.audiodevelopers.com/Softw...Lite/setup.exe

Comment

You should just send that to JR so he can make that amp real purty since he's going to give it to me when he's done. Lord knows JR doesn't need another amp. :p

Originally posted by neildavis View Post
                            I've got some amp bling and parts if you amp-building guys are interested. Like handles, a nice 2-3/8" knob, nice rotary selector switches and pots and some smaller heatsinks for regulators. It's in a box I got "for free" and its stuff I don't need. I'll take pictures if any interest...
                            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by neildavis View Post
                              I looked for a rotary selector for the preamp build but they were very expensive. Nobody seems to make just a 'two' selector switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X