2 x 100 Sure 2050 build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 x 100 Sure 2050 build thread

JR: Check your DC offset(good channel versus bad one)..Page 11 of the manual.

Worst case send it back for a replacement.

Bob C.
    NLA

Comment

The offset is fine, but this particular board was NLA quite a while ago so no replacement.

However, I figured out one of the internal RCA cables I used was bad - during the manufacturing process, one channel was shorted to ground. Odd.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

When it comes to sound quality, Class D BLOWS!
        I've personally listened to quite a few examples of Class D full-range amplifiers and NONE sounded quite right to my ears in my system.
        Even a $120 AudioSource AMP-100 sounds better than most Class D examples...just not as powerful.
        Perhaps Class D amplifiers, with their high efficiency, really are best suited for driving subs.

As a DIYer myself though, I can understand Johnny's frustration for the amp. not working as it should.
        Sure boards, with all their SMD's, aren't my cup of tea either. I realize P.E. pushes these boards because of their simple "plug and play" format.

If you ever decide to build an amplifier that sounds really good, you should try one of Nelson Pass's designs over at DiyAudio. No surface-mount crap and easy to build and troubleshoot.

Anyway, good luck with your project.

Comment

Glad I wasted my time.

Comment

Originally posted by foxfire3 View Post
            I've personally listened to quite a few examples of Class D full-range amplifiers and NONE sounded quite right to my ears in my system.
            Even a $120 AudioSource AMP-100 sounds better than most Class D examples...just not as powerful.
            Perhaps Class D amplifiers, with their high efficiency, really are best suited for driving subs.

As a DIYer myself though, I can understand Johnny's frustration for the amp. not working as it should.
            Sure boards, with all their SMD's, aren't my cup of tea either. I realize P.E. pushes these boards because of their simple "plug and play" format.

If you ever decide to build an amplifier that sounds really good, you should try one of Nelson Pass's designs over at DiyAudio. No surface-mount crap and easy to build and troubleshoot.

Seriously, go away.

Comment

Originally posted by foxfire3 View Post

Well, this is not an A/B or tube amp, but a D/class amp. I think we should address this issue and not speculate about other classes.
              Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
              DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
              Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

There seems to be many satisfied class D owners. ;)
                Last edited by kenny_k; 05-24-2014, 04:31 AM. Reason: was a duplicate
                Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
                  There seems to be many satisfied class D owners. ;)
                  Indeed.
                  " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                  Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                  http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I love how my ClassDaudio amp sounds, but maybe it's just me. I wonder what the guys here who have Crown Drivecore amps think class D amps sound like?
                    Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Not sure that Foxfire was trying to be dismissive of your efforts JR, but he certainly could have chosen his words better.

I like what you're doing there and have noticed that numerous speaker builders eventually migrate their design talents to amplifiers and pre-amps. Maybe the challenge of a new realm, maybe trying to create something great on a budget. Whatever the reason it's fun to watch!

PS, Great choice on the chassis color, it's very '50's Retro'.

Marty

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        Indeed.
                        Indeed. Class D plus Cerwin Vega perhaps not optimal.

Comment

Foxfire: You need to hit the reset button and post something that is a bit more relevant to the topic,invoking the names of the "Audio Gods" and trashing surface mount components does not make sense....Remember we are talking about a $35 amplifier board.

Bob
                          NLA

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                            Well, poop on it. The right channel is fubar on this thing. Doesn't cut in until things are LOUD on the left channel. It isn't the ALPS pot - that is used to control entire system volume, and headphone output is just fine. Either the amp board itself, or my switching relay. I double checked all of my wiring and connections, and that is all proper.
                            I had the 2x300 board fail on me. I believe it was my fault. I noticed after I installed it that the instructions said something about not powering up the preamp after the amp was on and don't adjust the input switches while amp is on. At least that is what I remember though it has been a while and the insructions were pretty poor IMO.

I was talking about that splatter above the poweer supply when I said "bird poop" not your work to be clear as I realize it could be taken the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                              I was talking about that splatter above the poweer supply when I said "bird poop" not your work to be clear as I realize it could be taken the wrong way.
                              I'm still trying to figure out what that splatter is and/or how it happened :D
                              Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
                                I'm still trying to figure out what that splatter is and/or how it happened :D
                                Gotta be from wet-sanding.
                                Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Working...
                                X