Question on electronics protection/improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on electronics protection/improvement

Hey gang, I'm going to be wrapping up the drywall work in the man room and will be starting the cabinets/bar area soon. All the A/V stuff will be under there ( I know, I know.....) and I was thinking about how some guys use power conditioners and surge protectors and who knows what else.....

I've gotten along fine without this stuff but I was just wondering what your guy's thoughts are on the matter. Should I look into something like a power conditioner or anything else? If so, what? I eventually plan on putting a home surge protection device in later this year. Just guess I'm trying to not be so ignorant about these types of products and would like to plan it in now rather than later.
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Re: Question on electronics protection/improvement

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
    I've gotten along fine without this stuff...
    There's your answer right there.
    "We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
    –Robert Wilensky

Comment

I like a line conditioner for preamps and cd type players. where I live voltage is not very consistent. amps go straight into the wall. I do have a dedicated circuit for my amps.
      craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
        I like a line conditioner for preamps and cd type players. where I live voltage is not very consistent. amps go straight into the wall. I do have a dedicated circuit for my amps.
        !!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!!
        "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
        ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

Thanks guys. I don't do any critical listening and I am wrapping up the install of the dedicated circuit for my A/V gear, so I guess I'll be good. Just wanted to double check.
          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

FWIW: My audio gear is on a dedicated line - further conditioning was nor warranted
            "Not a Speaker Designer - Not even on the Internet"
            “Pride is your greatest enemy, humility is your greatest friend.”
            "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Comment

Yep don't bother. Will not make a difference.
              “Never ask people about your work.”
              ― Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead

Comment

My gear is on a dedicated line. I have a line conditioner on my oppo and preamp. Also use it for my laptop when I am in there. I took a few measurements of before and after and well, the cleaner voltage did make a difference. For the low $59 for the basic Furman, it was worth the price IMO for my front end gear.
                https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Got a link brother?

Comment

Furman M8X2 @ PE $64.95
                    https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                      Hey gang, I'm going to be wrapping up the drywall work in the man room and will be starting the cabinets/bar area soon. All the A/V stuff will be under there ( I know, I know.....) and I was thinking about how some guys use power conditioners and surge protectors and who knows what else.....
                      I picked up one of these a couple of years ago when they were being discontinued:
                      http://www.audioholics.com/power-con...eviews/apc-h15

I doubt it has any real impact on the sound, but I am very comfortable with it as a surge protector behind my whole house protector. It also gives me *lots* of outlets and surge protection on my cable input. -- Doug

Comment

Working...
                      X