12v power supply ???'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v power supply ???'s

i'm looking at doing an Overnight Sensation boom-box utilizing source and amps that are readily available from the car stereo shop i work at . for a head unit i have this , a 3" hole saw will mount it .

and i would like to use this amp witch fits in a pair of jeans front pocket ...

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...tails/pbr300x4

now the car stereo guys i work with tell me i'll need at least a 15-20amp supply to run everything and get decent power . i've searched PE and have found nothing that tickles my fancy . any help would be appreciated ...

Thanks
    Mark
    Paper Towers
    RS180P/28F surrounds
    Boombox

Re: 12v power supply ???'s

I've played with that amp and while it will fit in your pocket, you definitely won't want it there. It gets HOOOTTTT!!!! It's not the most efficient and very limited in flexibility. There are quite a few class D micro amps that will work just as well providing the power you're looking for while demanding less power and dissipating less heat. Do a quick search on sonicelectronix or woofersetc and you should find a few micro class D options. The RF is a dual rail design that improves upon standard single rail class AB, but doesn't approach class D for efficiency. As for power supply, what are you goals that you can't find anything interesting? Do you want as small a size as possible? There are plenty of 12V PSs that provide 15-20A current, but they're fairly large. If you want something the size of a computer brick, the largest I've seen is 7A. Is that enough power?...well, depends on how loud you want to listen. Since a class D is considerably more efficient, more of that 84W from the 7A supply would go toward your output. If you're running mostly modern recorded music with low dynamic range, you won't need much power to get loud.
    Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
    Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
    Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
    Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
    Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Comment

yes size of supply was the issue .so you say i can get plenty loud with a 7amp . i like that idea . mostly will be used for outside under the shade tree maybe taken to work in my bay ... will take a look at those amps you suggested but i get the RF at a good price if ordered along with a large shop order and i was planning to mount outside of the back of the box ...
      Paper Towers
      RS180P/28F surrounds
      Boombox

Comment

You would likely be much better suited by one of the small Sure amplifier kits. They run on 24 volts, not 12, but provide more than adequate power with pretty good quality for just $25.
        http://www.parts-express.com/2x50w-t...board--320-301

Comment

If you're open to other amps aside from car ones, a TPA3116 amp will provide 40W/ch from a simple laptop 19V supply.
          Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)

Comment

Originally posted by jsr View Post
            If you're open to other amps aside from car ones, a TPA3116 amp will provide 40W/ch from a simple laptop 19V supply.
            and what , a reducer for the head unit ?
            Paper Towers
            RS180P/28F surrounds
            Boombox

Comment

this looks nice . about 25watts at 8ohms ...

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...on-XC1410.html
              Paper Towers
              RS180P/28F surrounds
              Boombox

Comment

You can get a small 12V brick for the HU. Or a small separate DC:DC circuit.
                Yeah, that's one if those micro class D amps I was referring to.

Comment

You could use a switching power supply like these:

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwe...upply-rs.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post
                    yes size of supply was the issue .so you say i can get plenty loud with a 7amp . i like that idea . mostly will be used for outside under the shade tree maybe taken to work in my bay ... will take a look at those amps you suggested but i get the RF at a good price if ordered along with a large shop order and i was planning to mount outside of the back of the box ...
                    I am running a similar OS MTM setup with a separate sub driven by a head unit with a 12v 9a power brick I got off of eBay . It gets plenty loud

Comment

thanks for the help guys ...

Originally posted by djeisenbe View Post
                      I am running a similar OS MTM setup with a separate sub driven by a head unit with a 12v 9a power brick I got off of eBay . It gets plenty loud
                      this is good to hear !

though we're not a Clarion dealer one of our distributors handles them , gonna check with them today on the micro-D . also i went through a couple of my old laptops and i have a 6.5a brick , do you think that would be enough to at least get started ?

**edit** nice , i can get the XC1410 for $80 ...
                      Paper Towers
                      RS180P/28F surrounds
                      Boombox

Comment

Check the voltage if the laptop brick. Most laptops run in 19V to 21V. You likely can't exceed 16V on the clarion (or any car amp).

Comment

damn , your correct 19v . can it be reduced easily or should i just search for a 12v 7a brick ?
                          Paper Towers
                          RS180P/28F surrounds
                          Boombox

Comment

Much easier to just get a 12V brick. Find the highest current one you can. I've only seen up to 7A but someone mentioned a 9A version.

Comment

Originally posted by jsr View Post
                              Much easier to just get a 12V brick. Find the highest current one you can. I've only seen up to 7A but someone mentioned a 9A version.
                              thank you for your help sir . i have the HU , amp was ordered this morning and as soon as i locate the power supply i'll order the OS kit . i'll let y'all know how it all works out ...

Thanks again
                              Mark
                              Paper Towers
                              RS180P/28F surrounds
                              Boombox

Comment

Working...
                              X