Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Relapse

    There's a calculator here - LINK. I don't know how accurate it is though because it doesn't ask where you are adding the mass.

    Comment


    • Re: Relapse

      The DAP Alex Plus Clear caulk has been an unqualified success as a damping compound for slits and surrounds. I have used it on surrounds for 5 years and on slits for 1 year so far with perfect results.

      The Wet Look was not effective for slits.
      "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

      Diffraction Happens

      Comment


      • Re: Relapse

        Originally posted by jbruner View Post
        The DAP Alex Plus Clear caulk has been an unqualified success as a damping compound for slits and surrounds. I have used it on surrounds for 5 years and on slits for 1 year so far with perfect results.

        The Wet Look was not effective for slits.
        That's interesting. I found the Wet Look good for surrounds, never tried making slits. I'll have to get some of the DAP caulk to test. It will be good if it's better for surrounds, too.

        dlr
        WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

        Dave's Speaker Pages

        Comment


        • Re: Relapse

          Did you actual cut out a section or just slice the diaphragm?

          dlr
          WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

          Dave's Speaker Pages

          Comment


          • Re: Relapse

            The slits are just wide enough that the sides do not touch. I drag the knife backwards after cutting so the cut is visibly open.
            "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

            Diffraction Happens

            Comment


            • Re: Relapse

              Originally posted by jbruner View Post
              The slits are just wide enough that the sides do not touch. I drag the knife backwards after cutting so the cut is visibly open.
              Thanks, sounds like a good way to do it.

              Looks like you've got a fairly thick application of the DAP.

              dlr
              WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

              Dave's Speaker Pages

              Comment


              • Re: Relapse

                Originally posted by dlr View Post
                Thanks, sounds like a good way to do it.

                Looks like you've got a fairly thick application of the DAP.

                dlr
                I was sloppy on the Tangband and just used my finger, but on others I have used an eye dropper to apply just in the gap, wiped flush on both sides, for a much neater look.
                "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

                Diffraction Happens

                Comment


                • Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

                  Originally posted by Sidi View Post
                  underwhelmed.
                  Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                  Don't rag on him so hard! He turned a sow's ear into a pierced sow's ear.;)
                  I'd like to happily report that early predictions of "Meh", including my own, were wrong.

                  For the past year I have immensely enjoyed this little fullrange design, named "Silk Purse", utilizing an inexpensive 8-element contour filter.



                  Shown crossed at 100hz, on-axis and 30 degrees off-axis.

                  This design has been used at high spl (with a sub) and holds up well compared to some truly high-end speakers. It has a nice natural sound, even in the top octave. I'm quite surprised that cymbals and bells sound good on a fullrange 4" driver.

                  Also in white-
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzzsilk purse white.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1166373
                  Attached Files
                  "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

                  Diffraction Happens

                  Comment


                  • Re: Relapse

                    Originally posted by jbruner View Post
                    I was sloppy on the Tangband and just used my finger, but on others I have used an eye dropper to apply just in the gap, wiped flush on both sides, for a much neater look.
                    I was thinking of the surround. The slits looked pretty smooth. The surround looks heavier.

                    dlr
                    WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

                    Dave's Speaker Pages

                    Comment


                    • Re: Relapse

                      You could try Tannoy ribs:

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	2911dtt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1166520

                      Or Fostex:

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	fe208esrtop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1166521

                      Comment


                      • Re: Relapse

                        Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
                        You could try Tannoy ribs:

                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]57350[/ATTACH]

                        Or Fostex:

                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]57351[/ATTACH]
                        good research out weighs any pretty and ineffective ribbing
                        "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

                        Diffraction Happens

                        Comment


                        • Re: Relapse

                          Grow a pair? How rude

                          Seriously though - Tannoy wouldn't have put ribs on the back of their drivers if it didn't make an improvement. Not sure if it would work with the slicing though.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Relapse

                            Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
                            Grow a pair? How rude

                            Seriously though - Tannoy wouldn't have put ribs on the back of their drivers if it didn't make an improvement. Not sure if it would work with the slicing though.
                            Do It Yourself And Stop Suggesting Hopeful Or Likely Experiments!

                            This is all in fun and jest, but more seriously guys, is science dead?
                            I've demonstrated effective, proven techniques and I get constantly bombarded with demands that I try every wackadoo mod anyone can think of.
                            "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

                            Diffraction Happens

                            Comment


                            • Re: Relapse

                              Sorry if the suggestions seem like pressure. I'm only suggesting them because you seem interested and I guess I thought others who are interested in this thread may also be interested.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Relapse

                                They are interested. Hell, I'm interested! Build it, measure it, and publish it right here!
                                "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

                                Diffraction Happens

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X