Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

    Very interesting.

    I'd love to see the same done on a Aurasound NS6-255-8a. I only have four, so wouldn't want to risk it myself.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

      Very interesting.
      How did you manage to keep cone mass the same after the surgery, maintaining the same sensitivity?

      Is it possible to make an audio recording demo like here:
      http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...ther-materials

      This is from Alan A. Shaw
      Designer, owner
      Harbeth Audio UK

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

        Originally posted by jbruner View Post
        But you have no idea how good it feels to slide a sharp knife through a speaker cone.
        Oh, but I do. As a kid, I punched numerous holes in the exposed TV speaker with my Dad's pointed meter probe. The dry popping sound was just exquisite. I can still remember it.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

          Cut off the dust cap. Who needs a dust cap?

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

            Originally posted by J Fallows View Post
            Cut off the dust cap. Who needs a dust cap?
            Joe Akroyd used to do that with his designs (Link)

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

              Very cool experiment. You may need to devise some sort guide jig before cutting up nicer drivers.
              Melby Audio - Flat Pack Speaker Kits

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

                Originally posted by Thumper Tom View Post
                What would happen if you just did beads of thick super glue and not cut the paper?
                Seconded. Curious also if your experiment resulted in overlapping of the cut seams as well, or if the seam is just but t together.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

                  Originally posted by Thumper Tom View Post
                  What would happen if you just did beads of thick super glue and not cut the paper?
                  I can do that if you want, but the glue I used is flexible, not superglue. I don't think superglue would have much damping effect. Do you want me to try just beads of flexible glue?
                  "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

                  Diffraction Happens

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

                    Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
                    Very interesting.

                    I'd love to see the same done on a Aurasound NS6-255-8a. I only have four, so wouldn't want to risk it myself.
                    You are in luck. The NS6 is next on the execution list.
                    "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

                    Diffraction Happens

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

                      Originally posted by knowledgebass View Post
                      Seconded. Curious also if your experiment resulted in overlapping of the cut seams as well, or if the seam is just but t together.
                      There is no overlap. It is a simple knife cut widened to a discernable gap by dragging the knife backwards. The glue is DAP Alex Plus clear caulk.
                      "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

                      Diffraction Happens

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

                        Originally posted by jbruner View Post
                        You are in luck. The NS6 is next on the execution list.
                        blasphemy

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

                          Originally posted by jbruner View Post
                          You are in luck. The NS6 is next on the execution list.
                          Cool! Would be great if you could get rid of that peak centered around 4k.


                          I honestly think you should try removing the dust cap on the cheaper driver to see what it does. I'd be very interested to see if it makes any further improvements - From what I've read there's a good chance it will.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

                            I agree on the 'try the glue without cutting it' crowd. Maybe it's just the glue damping that has the largest effect, rather than the cutting and damping. It would be cool to try it out!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

                              Originally posted by ligs View Post
                              Very interesting.
                              How did you manage to keep cone mass the same after the surgery, maintaining the same sensitivity?
                              The glue adds an almost insignificant amount of mass. On sample 2 the Fs went from 114 to 112.

                              Originally posted by ligs View Post

                              Is it possible to make an audio recording demo like here:
                              http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...ther-materials
                              I am on slow dial-up. It's difficult just to load a picture.
                              "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

                              Diffraction Happens

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

                                Originally posted by Thumper Tom View Post
                                What would happen if you just did beads of thick super glue and not cut the paper?
                                I'd be interested in this as well but I think wood glue or epoxy would be easier to work with to get it thicker. It would also be interesting to see what a uniform coating of wood glue over the entire surface (sans the surround) would do.
                                "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
                                ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X