• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jbruner
    replied
    Originally posted by NyxOne View Post
    Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

Very interessting! I wonder what it could do for a an SB15 or SB17!

Chuck
    Long wait, but...

Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzzrev and sb15 sliced.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	1435398

Look for a shootout coming to a thread near you!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jamikkim
    replied

I don't really have any proper measure equipment and the speakers are gone now ;p I will do more later though. It did change for the better though there was still a peak lower down, probably due to the larger splits and sealed driver.

It was Selley's water based contact adhesive. No idea what it's made from but seems nicely visco-elastic - it's not a bouncy rubber, it stays sticky-ish and seems viscous when you stretch it and it's returning.
    If you have any suggestions for other types of glues then please tell ;p Not sure what would work best, harder glue or softer. I will try for smaller slits.

I also cut it all the way to the surround so the cone was cut to the edge. I noticed yours stopped before then. Scanspeak one goes to the edge however I'm not sure whether the surround material is cut at all or not. I did try a larger speaker with a more rubbery type and even larger splits once, sounded ok but I just stuck it in my car with some large inductors which is gone now.

Leave a comment:

• jbruner
    replied

Originally posted by jamikkim View Post
    I think it has to do with waves propagating outwards from the centre towards the edge - the slits mean that no wave can directly reach the edge without going through a slit. It means that reflections that may cause standing waves are attenuated due to the cut and the damping glue. It also will dampen radial waves as they can't form a ring without passing through many slits. As stated above the cone probably does move in different directions too, although if the slits are small enough then it shouldn't cause as much smearing due to a floppy cone - I think some of my experiments have too big of a gap... ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57838[/ATTACH]
    I'd like to hear more about your experiments. Did you take any measurements? Did you like the results? That looks like 100% silicone, which might be too rubbery? Did you try this before this thread?

Leave a comment:

• jamikkim
    replied

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post
    Josh , its hard for me to tell but are damping the surround as well ?

and would you care to share your thoughts as to why it is handing the break up so well ?

and don't forget i am super noob ....
    I think it has to do with waves propagating outwards from the centre towards the edge - the slits mean that no wave can directly reach the edge without going through a slit. It means that reflections that may cause standing waves are attenuated due to the cut and the damping glue. It also will dampen radial waves as they can't form a ring without passing through many slits. As stated above the cone probably does move in different directions too, although if the slits are small enough then it shouldn't cause as much smearing due to a floppy cone - I think some of my experiments have too big of a gap... ;)

Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker.png
Views:	1
Size:	914.5 KB
ID:	1166855

Leave a comment:

• jbruner
    replied

Originally posted by filmslayer View Post

and would you care to share your thoughts as to why it is handing the break up so well ?

The slits don't affect anything in the driver's "pistonic" range where all parts of the cone are moving in the same direction. There is no change at all in the response below 2k. At higher frequencies where the cone goes into "breakup", some parts of the cone are moving in different directions. This is where the slits become active. The compound dampens the relative movement in different parts of the cone.

The surround has some damping applied from the factory. There is some room for improvement there, but I have decided to leave it alone.

Leave a comment:

• jbruner
    replied

Originally posted by Sidi View Post
    Did it really lose that much sensitivity? 10dB is a lot to lose :(

I didn't include other ten decibels underneath. My bad and so sorry.

Leave a comment:

• filmslayer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• spasticteapot
    replied

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    We are here because we love the music and hobby that makes the music happen. We as a collective aim to allow the newbies to learn and result in a project that is a reflection of what we strive for, without disappointment.
    Hell, you've been putting up with my dumb questions for years.

Leave a comment:

• JasonP
    replied

Originally posted by Sidi View Post
    Now those are results worth bragging about.

I had assumed he shifted the response so they would not be overlaid. Yes, if it costs 10db that is a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Sidi
    replied

Now those are results worth bragging about.

Leave a comment:

• fatmarley
    replied

Last edited by fatmarley; 06-01-2015, 03:12 PM. Reason: going off topic on interesting thread

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by username00
    Its what's wrong with people in this entire hobby. I'm not a moron, and I learn from simple questions and answers, but never before have a met a larger percentage of douchebags. On DIYaudio its 10 times worse. They discourage you constantly and push this pretentious I'm better than you attitude all over the message board. Most of the people in this hobby seem like they don't want you to learn, or beat around the bush trying to confuse you and then find creative ways to call you a moron. Easily one of the worst groups of people I've dealt with online as far as hobbies go. RC, cars, computers, and any other hobby, the people you are asking for help will actually treat you with a bit of respect.
    Why did you feel the need to sign up and post your one and only post to state your distaste of a generally good tempered group here at PETT? I think Craig was mainly stating reference to: "If you can't say something good, don't say anything at all." The fact that Sidi said what he did helped no one and was rather snide. There is such a thing as constructive criticism, and this was just not that. Being that you've had a bad experience with the group of DIYers is not necessarily our fault here, and I for one would rather help than hinder. If there are Q's you have that you would like answered, please post your query and see what comes of it. Be open to maybe change your ways of thinking, as there is a lot of misinformation and snake oil in this hobby. We are here because we love the music and hobby that makes the music happen. We as a collective aim to allow the newbies to learn and result in a project that is a reflection of what we strive for, without disappointment.

I welcome you to the forum, enjoy your time here!
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• fatmarley
    replied

Very impressed.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

NICE! Much better,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Holy deity of your choice, that fixes another crappy Dayton cone, doesn't it? Whoah... Well done.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X