Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
    I'd be interested in this as well but I think wood glue or epoxy would be easier to work with to get it thicker.
    But don't you need something flexible to help damp the cone? I think something like contact adhesive, puncture repair glue or a thin bead of silicone would be best.

Comment

Cool experiment. I have some $5 buyouts I've thought of experimenting with coating the paper cones.
      Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by J Fallows View Post
        Cut off the dust cap. Who needs a dust cap?
        OK

Once again, sensitivity is unchanged because the dustcap weighs next to nothing. The good effects are above 15k, the cavity resonance is very bad.
        It doesn't affect the cone break-up at all.

Blue is original, green modified.

So we need to fill the gap. I will replace the dust cap with a dusty cap.

Still only helps the last 1/2 octave.

"Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

A friend left four of those things sitting here, maybe I will frankenstein them somehow. Cool experiment, and an awesome way to showcase how distortion is not always motor related.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by jbruner View Post

So we need to fill the gap. I will replace the dust cap with a dusty cap.
            You just cranked up the witty dial several notches.
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by jbruner View Post
              Alternate thread title: I'm a cutter now!

I've been trying out driver modifications on some old NSBs.

Sample2

I baselined 4 drivers and they were pretty much identical.

Here is the response of sample 1 before and after Revelator style cut and glue job.

Blue is modded, brown is baseline. I added a small piece of duct seal to the slit dust cap to smooth the top octave on this one. Sample 1-

The net result is very impressive. The primary break-up is reduced by 11dB, distortions of all orders are lowered, and subjective sound quality is much improved.

In other words, there is no downside, unless you like the sound of paper cone break-up.
              Very interessting! I wonder what it could do for a an SB15 or SB17!

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by Sidi View Post
                underwhelmed.
                Originally posted by craigk View Post
                this comment is underwhelming. what does this statement contribute, except to make you look like a jerk. this is exactly what is wrong with this board. a few years ago you would never have seen a reply like this.
                Yeah, exactly.... I find it very interesting, specially in the distortion. This is the Chutzpah that DIY is about. In fact, I am inclined to to this on the Sony Buyouts I have which I have been planning a MTMWW built for for a very long time. Play and see what happens. There is NOTHING wrong with learning like this.
                Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                You just cranked up the witty dial several notches.
                Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                A friend left four of those things sitting here, maybe I will frankenstein them somehow. Cool experiment, and an awesome way to showcase how distortion is not always motor related.
                Exactly..... I like Paul's comment too.... Defiantly cranked the whitty dial. Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by craigk View Post
                  this comment is underwhelming. what does this statement contribute, except to make you look like a jerk. this is exactly what is wrong with this board. a few years ago you would never have seen a reply like this.

I am a jerk.

There's nothing wrong with this board.

Fact is, the result was underwhelming.

Nothing wrong with experimenting, never said he shouldn't continue.

panties, knots, etc.

Comment

Maybe you could start with a fresh one and and make the cone stiffer. I don't know what would be best for that without adding to much mass. I was thinking lacquer if there is nothing better available. It could take over a week to fully cure but maybe quicker if baked in the Georgia sun. Then you could measure it before giving it the slits. I wonder if the the added stiffness would cancel out some of the the improvements made by the slits or would it be even better all around?

Perhaps you could briefly describe the function of the slits and why this works so well. Or did you just figure if it's good for Scan-Speak let's give it a go?
                    Caleb b

Comment

How is the cone destroyed if its still making music with less breakup and improved response in the pass band?
                      I don't know. It just goes against my grain. I would feel very reluctant to do this, especially with more costly drivers.

Would I try this with a cheap driver just for curiosity's sake? Maybe. Would I do this with amore expensive driver? Probably not as the outcome is a guess. It could just as easily go the other way and result in a driver that is unusable. I think I would just look for a driver that meets my needs. I prefer predictability. YMMV, but by all means, do your thing and slice away!:applause:
                      Last edited by thekorvers; 05-02-2014, 07:24 PM.
                      “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by Sidi View Post
                        I am a jerk.

There's nothing wrong with this board.

Fact is, the result was underwhelming.

Nothing wrong with experimenting, never said he shouldn't continue.

panties, knots, etc.
                        at least we have that cleared up,
                        craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

Mr. Bruner - is there any damping around the edge of the cone? If not, I would look into running a thin bead of rubber cement around the edge where the surround meets the cone.
                          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
                            But don't you need something flexible to help damp the cone? I think something like contact adhesive, puncture repair glue or a thin bead of silicone would be best.
                            3M weatherstipping adhesive

Comment

Hey, nice work with the dustcapectomy.
                              A real surgeon, yeah that's it, a speaker surgeon.
                              Great work and a great thread.

Comment

A wood glue coated cone and an uncut caulk striped cone are dry for when I get back in a day or two. I already tried the surround/cone edge damping that Johnny suggested, and the effect was small. That is something I have been doing for years. I'll have to find another sample for that one.
                                "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

Working...
                                X