• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dlr
    replied
    Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
    There's a guy over at diyaudio that had the glue fail on his Scanspeaks. Not sure where the thread is now but he may be able to tell if they are slits or slots.

EDIT: Here's the thread - LINK
    Thanks. I posted a note to him. The 15W is what I have for midrange in my 3-way. I'm going to have to keep my eye on them now. :(

Looking at his photo, I think it's fairly clear that the damping compound is pulling away from behind, leaving an opening in the cone. It doesn't appear to be a simple slice in the cone.

dlr

Leave a comment:

• fatmarley
    replied

Originally posted by dlr View Post
    I suspect that the SS drivers are not just "slits". The best result may well come from taking out a tiny "slot", then filling in with the damping compound. This should be a method to introduce a complete break at that slot. Inspecting my SS 15w drivers, it appears to be a full 1mm gap that is then filled in from behind, leaving it smooth and less obtrusive on the front.

dlr
    There's a guy over at diyaudio that had the glue fail on his Scanspeaks. Not sure where the thread is now but he may be able to tell if they are slits or slots.

EDIT: Here's the thread - LINK

Leave a comment:

• dlr
    replied

Originally posted by killa View Post
    Could you try to describe the compound they used?
    The look and feel is the same as the compound often used on other drivers at the cone/surround interface and appears to be similar if not the same as what I've used to experiment with, that is, "The Wet Look", the black version. It's not "tacky", but if you drag your finger across it, it has a tendency to stick. It dries to something of a thick silicone caulk-like texture, but is not "springy" the way silicone caulk is when dry.

dlr

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

Originally posted by jbruner View Post
    The current slit experiment started for me well over a decade ago and has produced 6 viable samples.
    Regular practice has improved my slit technique over the years.
    Although I am committed to the current process, I sometimes think about trying a narrower slit.
    Problems with the samples complicate an already difficult study.
    Perhaps I need to take up drinking.
    Everyone has to follow their own path.
    Don't give up on your dreams.

OMG, he did it again, and I missed it the first time I read the post.:eek::D

jbruner, you rule.:applause:

Mark

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Originally posted by dlr View Post
    I suspect that the SS drivers are not just "slits". The best result may well come from taking out a tiny "slot", then filling in with the damping compound. This should be a method to introduce a complete break at that slot. Inspecting my SS 15w drivers, it appears to be a full 1mm gap that is then filled in from behind, leaving it smooth and less obtrusive on the front.

dlr
    Could you try to describe the compound they used?

Leave a comment:

• dlr
    replied

The current slit experiment started for me well over a decade ago and has produced 6 viable samples.
    Although I am committed to the current process, I sometimes think about trying a narrower slit.

dlr

Leave a comment:

• fatmarley
    replied

I think you should try some silicone around the pole piece on the driver that had the dust cap removed.

As I said Mr Royd Audio used to modify his drivers and I think it's well worth having a look at his most popular speakers because they are still very highly regarded today (for good reason). If you look at THIS site you can see close-ups of the drivers. I know the Sorcerers (not SE) and Minstrel were very popular. It looks like he used something like clear silicone where the dust cap used to be but it was put on uneven for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• jbruner
    replied

Originally posted by Tin_Ears View Post
    Oh my... what have you gotten yourself into??:eek::D

Leave a comment:

• fatmarley
    replied

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
    Not sure why nobody noticed what you did here, and here, but I did, and I'm still laughing:D:D. I'll be randomly giggling at work for at least a few days, nicely done my friend!

Mark
    Well, I was on holiday so that's why I didn't notice. Very funny

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied
    Re: NS6-ed

Please Understand, Simply Satisfying You Won't Help Inform People Perceiving Every Distortion
    jbruner has earned himself 10,000 internets

Leave a comment:

• Tin_Ears
    replied

Ha ha... I missed those!! :D

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

It's a driver evaluation. My opinion is that the driver sucks. I showed measurements that partially reveal why. It's obvious that someone would try to deal with it's flaws when designing a system. But the driver offers no low bass, poorly defined mid-bass and garbled mids. It's a lousy woofer that has to be crossed at 1500hz to avoid that 3rd order distortion. Doesn't sound very useable to me. Very Astute, Great Intelligence Never Assumes.
    Please Understand, Simply Satisfying You Won't Help Inform People Perceiving Every Distortion
    Not sure why nobody noticed what you did here, and here, but I did, and I'm still laughing:D:D. I'll be randomly giggling at work for at least a few days, nicely done my friend!

Mark

Leave a comment:

• winslow
    replied

You have a Marshall combo with 12 2" speakers? I bet that sounds...um, not amazing... But can't say that I've heard of or see too many Marshalls with 6L6s either. Most were EL34s, 5881s, or some 6550.

Leave a comment:

• mzisserson
    replied

Originally posted by killa View Post
    I agree 100% There is one issue in this though (certain build threads make this very clear IMO). The ear used to listen must be trained or well experienced with decent references. Some people have never heard a proper design so a simulated xo will get them much closer than there ears could. Of course this may not always be the case. There is always the exception.
    Yes, true. A lot of us grew up around music as well, un-amplified instruments, and know what a Marshall 6l6 tube driven 12x2 cab sounds like in the flesh. FOr beginners who do not have a strong point of reference, then I agree. However if you dont have a strong point of reference, get your **** out there and get one!

Leave a comment:

• killa
    replied

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
    I agree with this.

But I don't think that darren should be written off, either. I have studied the science for 20 years now, honed in the correlations between what you see and what you hear. Worked extensively at (As Toole states) finsing what is meaningful measurably and what is measurably meaningful. The final step in my process is voicing, no matter how perfect I get them on paper, and no matter how well my paper results match my measured performance. This does not always yeild a technically perfect picture. The largest things, however is that it is always *close* to technically perfect. It has to be in several measurable domains or you will end up with audible issues regardless of the overall response.
    I agree 100% There is one issue in this though (certain build threads make this very clear IMO). The ear used to listen must be trained or well experienced with decent references. Some people have never heard a proper design so a simulated xo will get them much closer than their ears could. Of course this may not always be the case. There is always the exception.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X