Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

Originally posted by killa View Post
    Could you try to describe the compound they used?
    The look and feel is the same as the compound often used on other drivers at the cone/surround interface and appears to be similar if not the same as what I've used to experiment with, that is, "The Wet Look", the black version. It's not "tacky", but if you drag your finger across it, it has a tendency to stick. It dries to something of a thick silicone caulk-like texture, but is not "springy" the way silicone caulk is when dry.

dlr
    WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by dlr View Post
      I suspect that the SS drivers are not just "slits". The best result may well come from taking out a tiny "slot", then filling in with the damping compound. This should be a method to introduce a complete break at that slot. Inspecting my SS 15w drivers, it appears to be a full 1mm gap that is then filled in from behind, leaving it smooth and less obtrusive on the front.

dlr
      There's a guy over at diyaudio that had the glue fail on his Scanspeaks. Not sure where the thread is now but he may be able to tell if they are slits or slots.

EDIT: Here's the thread - LINK

Comment

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
        There's a guy over at diyaudio that had the glue fail on his Scanspeaks. Not sure where the thread is now but he may be able to tell if they are slits or slots.

EDIT: Here's the thread - LINK
        Thanks. I posted a note to him. The 15W is what I have for midrange in my 3-way. I'm going to have to keep my eye on them now. :(

Looking at his photo, I think it's fairly clear that the damping compound is pulling away from behind, leaving an opening in the cone. It doesn't appear to be a simple slice in the cone.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Thanks. I posted a note to him. The 15W is what I have for midrange in my 3-way. I'm going to have to keep my eye on them now. :(

Looking at his photo, I think it's fairly clear that the damping compound is pulling away from behind, leaving an opening in the cone. It doesn't appear to be a simple slice in the cone.

dlr
          From my experimentation with 12M, the glue for me looked like a kind of hot glue.

Comment

I would look into this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-oz-Pro-Gra...item460ff7430e

I use it for shoes & speakers. It needs a couple days to fully cure.

Comment

Double post, sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by feyz View Post
                From my experimentation with 12M, the glue for me looked like a kind of hot glue.
                I took a look back at the 12 M dustcap I had removed. I remembered wrong. The dust cap attachment glue is like hot glue and is clear. The cuts are filled with some different glue. And as DLR wrote, they are applied from behind, for cosmetic advantage. The cuts are also like DLR described, about 1 mm slots, not just cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by feyz View Post
                  I took a look back at the 12 M dustcap I had removed. I remembered wrong. The dust cap attachment glue is like hot glue and is clear. The cuts are filled with some different glue. And as DLR wrote, they are applied from behind, for cosmetic advantage. The cuts are also like DLR described, about 1 mm slots, not just cuts.
                  You cut up a pretty expensive driver there, feyz!

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

You cut up a pretty expensive driver there, feyz!

dlr
                    :D, it was long time ago, when I could afford such attempts now and then once in a while.

Comment

Just found THIS and thought it belongs here.

I've never seen anyone do this to a speaker cone before, so thought some may find it interesting.

Comment

Just found THIS and thought it belongs here.

I've never seen anyone do this to a speaker cone before, so thought some may find it interesting.
                        That's been done in various forms over the years. Dunlavy used large pieces of felt on some of his woofers.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• Relapse

I was sitting here the other day and just picked up a TB W4-1320 that was on the desk and started cutting the cone. Don't let anyone tell you they are cured. Once an addict, always an addict.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzzz W4-1320 slit 8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1166366

The cut driver is very pleasant to listen to. I didn't want to unhook it to measure it because I was enjoying the music. The stock driver just sounds wrong. The W4-1320 will never be a good fullrange driver because of inherent problems in the top octave and a weak midbass, but this will make shallow slopes easy when used as a mid.

For bumps and wiggles... Red line is before, Blue is cut.

There was no significant change in non-linear distortion products, so that is not shown. Distortion in the mid and treble is generally quite low.

I managed to clean up the impedance curve, too, but read carefully...

There are 4 distinct problem areas with the stock driver. The 7k spike is the primary cone break-up and is easily killed with 4 slices. The secondary cone breakup at 4-5k was controlled with 4 more slices. The 1.6-2k area is a surround/cone edge resonance that is partially addressed by the factory, but I simply added more damping compound to the first 1/3 of the surround. The 630hz resonance is the spider, and I don't want to talk about that one, grrrr.

Attached Files
                          "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

• Re: Relapse

Great work! It's funny but I was thinking about his thread today and just before reading this post I ordered some stuff to try damping the cone of some cheap full range drivers I have.

If the resonance problem is coming from the spider, perhaps adding a bead of damping compound to the edge of the cone where it meets the pole piece would help?. Got to be worth a try.

Comment

Nice job. I would not have expected to see so much change top end. The impedance indicates that the problem was indeed due more to resonances than to geometry of the cone. The off-axis response should also be smoother as a result.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

If the resonance problem is coming from the spider, perhaps adding a bead of damping compound to the edge of the cone where it meets the pole piece would help?. Got to be worth a try.
                                The one thing to keep in mind with damping at the cone/former junction is sensitivity. Damping of the surround seems to have almost no affect on that, but near the former it's all highly moving mass and causes a drop in sensitivity.

dlr

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Working...
                                X