Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

Alternate thread title: I'm a cutter now!

I've been trying out driver modifications on some old NSBs.

Sample2

I baselined 4 drivers and they were pretty much identical.

Here is the response of sample 1 before and after Revelator style cut and glue job.

Blue is modded, brown is baseline. I added a small piece of duct seal to the slit dust cap to smooth the top octave on this one. Sample 1-

The net result is very impressive. The primary break-up is reduced by 11dB, distortions of all orders are lowered, and subjective sound quality is much improved.

In other words, there is no downside, unless you like the sound of paper cone break-up.
    "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

underwhelmed.

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun, thats for sure. Pretty cool results.

Comment

Very cool experiment

Comment

Originally posted by jbruner View Post

The net result is very impressive. The primary break-up is reduced by 11dB, distortions of all orders are lowered, and subjective sound quality is much improved.

In other words, there is no downside, unless you like the sound of paper cone break-up.
          So I gather from all this that paper cone cut up is preferable to paper cone break up.:rolleyes: I would say the downside is having a destroyed cone.
          “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Don't rag on him so hard! He turned a sow's ear into a pierced sow's ear.;)

Comment

Cool experiment. Would like to see before/after distortion plots too if you got 'em. Though I read somewhere painting white dots on the cone will lift a veil as well....:D

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
                So I gather from all this that paper cone cut up is preferable to paper cone break up.:rolleyes: I would say the downside is having a destroyed cone.
                How is the cone destroyed if its still making music with less breakup and improved response in the pass band?
                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidi View Post
                  underwhelmed.
                  Maybe I can convince you to see it in a different light.

"Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
                    But you have no idea how good it feels to slide a sharp knife through a speaker cone.

Diffraction Happens

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_M View Post
                      Cool experiment. Would like to see before/after distortion plots too if you got 'em. Though I read somewhere painting white dots on the cone will lift a veil as well....:D
                      THD zoomed in. Blue is after.

I could try white paint, but black paint had no effect, so it's doubtful.

Diffraction Happens

Comment

Originally posted by Whitneyville1 View Post
                        Don't rag on him so hard! He turned a sow's ear into a pierced sow's ear.;)
                        Too right, Ricky; the sound went from awful to sorta tolerable. The point is to work up the courage to attack more expensive drivers.

Diffraction Happens

Comment

Thanks. Definitely interesting results.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidi View Post
                            underwhelmed.
                            this comment is underwhelming. what does this statement contribute, except to make you look like a jerk. this is exactly what is wrong with this board. a few years ago you would never have seen a reply like this.
                            craigk

" Voicing is often the term used for band aids to cover for initial design/planning errors " - Pallas

Comment

What would happen if you just did beads of thick super glue and not cut the paper?
                              If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
                              What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
                              It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

Working...
                              X