X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caleb
    Midrange Member
    • Jan 2006

Re: Scan-Speek 4" for 49 cents?

I would think that wood glue would damp more than stiffen. Are not the slits designed to do the absorption of the breakup resonances? Then why damp the cone further? I would think you would want to stiffen the cone so that the slits do all the absorption. Just typing my thoughts
    Caleb b

Comment

• dlr
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by jbruner
      A wood glue coated cone and an uncut caulk striped cone are dry for when I get back in a day or two. I already tried the surround/cone edge damping that Johnny suggested, and the effect was small. That is something I have been doing for years. I'll have to find another sample for that one.
      Try this as a test. These are small bits of a non-drying putty of some kind.

Click image for larger version

Name:	final_config_2b_adj.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	1157864 Click image for larger version

Name:	final2_vs_untreated.gif
Views:	3
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	1157871
      This is a KEF (Celestion) F15 driver in a 2-way. I tried a lot of variations, but never slit the cone. I didn't want to risk destroying it, though I was very interested in the SS technique. I tried it and a couple of variations of added damping material. The result was actually fairly good, but the arrangement above was the best result in what I tested.

Name:	scan_speak_config_adj.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1157865

The best single improvement was with the application of the damping at the inner edge of the surround, in the case it is "The Wet Look" purchased from PE. Took several applications (same thing when I modded other drivers). This is the same thing that a lot manufacturers do, SS included. They had (still have?) a small bottle now that is something like $5. Well worth it for experimenting and I suspect far better for damping than silicon caulk or similar. The full set of tests (SPL, no distortion) are described at the link.

KEF driver tests

dlr
      Last edited by dlr; 05-04-2014, 09:59 AM. Reason: Added measurements of before/after treatment
      WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• killa
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Jan 2006

hmm. I have a couple er18rnx that have been sitting around for a while. If I could find a way to accurately cut the slits I would try it.

Comment

• Pete Schumacher
          Obsessed & Proud of It
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by killa
          hmm. I have a couple er18rnx that have been sitting around for a while. If I could find a way to accurately cut the slits I would try it.

Why? The response of the ER18RNX is already quite smooth whereas the NSB was anything but.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

• fatmarley
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by dlr
            Try this as a test. These are small bits of a non-drying putty of some kind.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46626[/ATTACH]
            This is a KEF (Celestion) F15 driver in a 2-way. I tried a lot of variations, but never slit the cone. I didn't want to risk destroying it, though I was very interested in the SS technique. I tried it and a couple of variations of added damping material. The result was actually fairly good, but the arrangement above was the best result in what I tested.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46627[/ATTACH]

The best single improvement was with the application of the damping at the inner edge of the surround, in the case it is "The Wet Look" purchased from PE. Took several applications (same thing when I modded other drivers). This is the same thing that a lot manufacturers do, SS included. They had (still have?) a small bottle now that is something like $5. Well worth it for experimenting and I suspect far better for damping than silicon caulk or similar. The full set of tests (SPL, no distortion) are described at the link.

KEF driver tests

dlr
            I think these could be worth a try:

Name:	gludots_zpsfd8e3a7b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	1157866

Comment

• Tin_Ears
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by fatmarley

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46628[/ATTACH]
              I was thinking the same thing only with various round foam stickies and foam tape.
              "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
              ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

• killa
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Pete Schumacher ®
                Why? The response of the ER18RNX is already quite smooth whereas the NSB was anything but.
                Why. Because I can. I am willing to bet the revelators would still be smooth without the slits. Perhaps in the case of the revalators it is a marketing tactic to drive up the price :eek: While they are great drivers the slit cone may not be the reason. If it is these slits might also improve the seas driver.

Comment

• thekorvers
                  Seasoned Veteran
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by dlr

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46626[/ATTACH]

dlr
                  Cool, a speaker with freckles! I would be more likely to try something like this without destroying the cone. At least it is modifiable and reversible.
                  “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

• dlr
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by fatmarley

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46628[/ATTACH]
                    They might work. My thought back then was that for the dots, it was more a case of added mass than any damping effects. This would alter the resonances in the cone. It took surprisingly few.

dlr
                    WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• ernperkins
                      • Mar 2010

All of this reminds me of the EnABL process that has been kicking around diyaudio for a long time. Here's a link to a diyaudio thread that explains the process:

Welcome the EnABL How-To thread. Specific attention will be given to the Fostex FE127e but the technique and principles are the same for virtually all multi way and single driver speakers. EnABL is covered by a patent from Ed LaFontaine. The How-To thread will give information on how the...
                      The elephant in the room is the room

Comment

• jbruner
                        • Dec 2006

I'll post the test results for samples 3 and 4 tomorrow.

First, I'd like to see some predictions from the audience.(SQ, breakup changes?)

Sample 3- (no dust cap) unblemished cone coated with wood glue.

Sample 4- Flexible glue at surround/cone edge only.
                        Sample 4- Uncut cone with thick stripes of flexible glue in the same positions as the slit cone, along with the cone edge treatment.

Pic shows glue still wet-it dried clear.
                        "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

• caleb
                          Midrange Member
                          • Jan 2006

How thick did you apply the wood glue did you thin it with water?
                          Caleb b

Comment

• jbruner
                            • Dec 2006

Originally posted by caleb
                            How thick did you apply the wood glue did you thin it with water?
                            Full strength, went on pretty thick in one coat.

"Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

• caleb
                              Midrange Member
                              • Jan 2006

Well you already said the edge treatment didn't change things much. As for the wood glue treated, I would guess the the first signs of breakup maybe pushed down to 5k and spread out 3 db lower as well as to top end rolling off quicker. I doubt the thick stripes of flexible glue will be nearly as effective as the slits.
                              Caleb b

Comment

• J Fallows
                                • Mar 2012

I would expect that Sample 3 will be in the "pretty nice midrange" territory now. Tweeter mandatory.

Comment

Working...