O.T. What to do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. What to do now?

Well I woke up this morning to see my garage door wide open and all of my tools, finished speakers and in progress speakers all stolen. They took all my amps, screws, glues, plans for other speakers, soldering equipment. I mean everything is gone. I had a workout area with a couple of mtm bookshelf speakers that I put together powered with the lepai, flat screen, and dvd player. I had an aviatrix speaker kit still in the boxes. I have the cabinets built and ready to paint, now its all gone.

Re: O.T. What to do now?

Well it sounds like they knew what they were taking so I would watch the classifieds, craigslist, and ebay. Also a loud dog comes in handy.

Comment

Hunt them down, and make MAJOR MODIFICATIONS to their structural integrity after you get your stuff back.

Comment

I agree with killa. If they took the time to steal things like glues, partial projects, wood, etc. Then they indeed know something about woodworking. They were pretty gutsy too... to take all that extra time to completely clean you out of every last little thing... even speaker plans... (maybe they too build speakers). Lastly, it seems they may know your routines. I really hate to mention this but it could be someone you know... it often is.
        "We are just statistics, born to consume resources."
        ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

What a bummer. I agree with Tin-Ears. It is often someone you know.

I had a guy doing work on my house for a while. He stole most of my tools, equipment and other valuable stuff after the work was finished. He knew his way around my garage and house. I know it was him, but was not able to prove it.

Fortunately for him, I did not know where he lived, because I was pi$$ed enough to take the law into my own hands!
          “I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet”

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Sorry to hear it man. That's really rough. Do you have any renter's or home owner's insurance to make a claim against? Sounds like a lot of valuable stuff.

As others have mentioned, contractors, landscapers and shady friends in general are suspect when this sort of thing happens. The world is full of dbags.

I've got like 10 cameras recording at all times at my house and 150lb mastiff holding down the fort. I recommend to everyone I know to get some cameras.

Hope you find some of your stuff on Craig's list or something and can bring the thief to justice.

Good Luck

Comment

Also remember it is all just stuff. The important thing is that you are safe. I personally would be more upset by the fact someone was messing around in my domain. While cameras can be useful they may or may not prevent a break in.

Comment

My house was hit 3 years ago, it really $ucks but you get over it with time. Document everything that is missing on your police report and insurance claims. Don't omit anything and don't accept their settlement until you are satisfied, your insurance company is looking out for themselves and not you.

When my home was hit, we felt like we were robbed 3 times in one. First by the crooks during the break-in, next by the insurance complany with their lousy payment, and then by the insurance company again the following year when they doubled the cost of our home owner's policy.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicO309d View Post
                  My house was hit 3 years ago, it really $ucks but you get over it with time. Document everything that is missing on your police report and insurance claims. Don't omit anything and don't accept their settlement until you are satisfied, your insurance company is looking out for themselves and not you.

When my home was hit, we felt like we were robbed 3 times in one. First by the crooks during the break-in, next by the insurance complany with their lousy payment, and then by the insurance company again the following year when they doubled the cost of our home owner's policy.
                  Yeah... BT/DT.:(
                  ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

After some more looking they also took some of my kids toys, stroller, and pack n play. This makes me so mad. They even took my dogs splitter leash and an old vacuum. I have two boxers. They may have not barked because they thought it was me or something. I also hope it is not someone I know. I work in a warehouse with about 200 people. Of those about 50 of them have asked me about my hobby because I built a small boombox for my jack and they want me to build them one. When I look in my tool drawers I can see where there fingers slid together to scoop up all of my tools.

Comment

Originally posted by okiefz1 View Post
                      After some more looking they also took some of my kids toys, stroller, and pack n play. This makes me so mad. They even took my dogs splitter leash and an old vacuum. I have two boxers. They may have not barked because they thought it was me or something. I also hope it is not someone I know. I work in a warehouse with about 200 people. Of those about 50 of them have asked me about my hobby because I built a small boombox for my jack and they want me to build them one. When I look in my tool drawers I can see where there fingers slid together to scoop up all of my tools.
                      Ugh... that's so depressing man.

Do you have metal tool cabinets or smooth plastic surfaces? Did the cops try to lift any fingerprints? Shoe prints in sawdust maybe? Did you ask your neighbors if anyone saw anything?

Comment

They do this to you?
                        Copy of Lou C's speaker pages: http://www.rob-elder.com/LouC/speakers.html

Comment

This makes me so sad and angry. My detached garage got hit about 2 years ago. They walked past all my tools and took my bikes - which were worth at least as much as my tools. They also got my brand new echo weed whacked and blower. Can't for the life of me figure out why they walked past the tools, but they did.

As for getting over it - I disagree - you don't. It's always in the back of my mind, even after we've moved to a much safer neighborhood.

Just rebuild slowly. Hope they catch them!
                          DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
                          The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
                          The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
                          The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
                          AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Originally posted by okiefz1 View Post
                            Or they may not have barked because it was someone they knew very well. I'm not saying that's the case... just something to consider.
                            ~Horace~, 65-8 BC

Comment

So today I talked with ensurance and they want me to put a value on all items that were stollen. This will be easy for the tools and baby stuff. Now as for the speakers do I just value for the cost of the components or do I value my time and effort. I had finished a pair of mtm bookshelf speakers using the dayton silkie and four of the dayton aluminum 5 1/4 inch woofers. They were ported and finished with the black ash vinyl laminate. And was working on a set of aviatrix built into a sealed tower with the bottom of each having a dayton 10 dvc sub powered by the yung sd 200-6. The cabinets were all primed and ready for paint.

Sorry for so many questions. Just needing some tips on what to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X